Looking for advice

Bought an Airwolf 22 cal PCP rifle several years ago thinking I would get into air rifle shooting/hunting. Have found the rifle cumbersome and heavy. In addition, the need for an air tank is inconvenient for my taste. Maybe i just need more patience as the rifle is sweet but looking for advice on options to consider. Probably don't realize what a nice shooting rifle i have.

Thanks in advance.

I understand the compromise my preferences will create. I haven't spent alot of time reading, researching alternatives at this point. There is sooo much information out there I figured I would ask others first and then dive into some internet research. Rifles are like anything, if you don't use or like them, why have them taking up space. :) I do realize the rifle is high end and very accurate. Might decide to keep it after all is said and done.

Heavy rifles are good for accuracy when shooting rested off a bench. Not so good when carrying it around for any distance, hunting, shooting off-hand, etc.

Rifles with a bottle like your Air Wolf give you lots of shots between fills, but generally add to weight and require wider stocks - maybe contributing to the 'cumbersome' feeling you are getting. They also pretty much require an SCBA tank or HPA compressor to re-fill. Guns with smaller air cylinders can be refilled with less expensive hand pumps (until you choose to purchase a SCBA tank or HPA compressor😉).

If you want to stay with old-world style build quality, beauty and accuracy, you might want to look at a Daystate Huntsman Regal (cheaper, if you are O.K. with a bolt action) or Huntsman Revere (newer model, with side lever cocking). These will be lighter and narrower since they have an air cylinder instead of a bottle.

A couple of other guns you might look at ditch the old-world kind of feelings for modern precision CNC type feeling. FX Dreamline Light or, if you want a more traditional wood stock, Dreamline Classic. Lighter, narrower, also high quality and accurate.

Guns mentioned above are high quality and higher priced guns, as your Air Wolf is. Less expensive guns are obviously available, but some will have their trade-offs in accuracy, reliability, parts quality, etc. Although for an occasional shooter who is testing the air gun waters, maybe they will be just fine? Benjamin Marauder or Cayden come to mind, although I don't have personal experience with either. Buy them direct from Crosman using the AGNATION discount code on a Friday and you get 25% off (IIRC) and free shipping.

Thanks TMH, that is great info. Bobbypew, perhaps your comment gets to my issue....I really don't want a bench rifle, I live in the country and don't want a rifle to bench shoot, I wnat it to plink birds and little critters, not paper punch.

I will do some research into the rifles/issues TMH mentions, but this conversation helps me clarify how I want to use and air rifle if I am going to continue to own one, need to downsize my rifle and sacrifice some accuracy issues to get to the gun I will use. Thank for your comments.

Well it all depends on what type of hunting you’re into. If you’re gonna walk n stalk then you might want a lighter rifle. Or you can get a tripod like a Caldwell Deadshot and spot hunt. The tripod takes the weight of the gun and also makes it steady. You just gotta carry both to your spots. Usually a place that affords a good view of a bunch of burrows or a cluster of trees that has game on them. Shoot the hell out of the spot then move to a new one. You’re gonna ned a tank any way you look at it. 

Thanks TMH, that is great info. Bobbypew, perhaps your comment gets to my issue....I really don't want a bench rifle, I live in the country and don't want a rifle to bench shoot, I wnat it to plink birds and little critters, not paper punch.

I will do some research into the rifles/issues TMH mentions, but this conversation helps me clarify how I want to use and air rifle if I am going to continue to own one, need to downsize my rifle and sacrifice some accuracy issues to get to the gun I will use. Thank for your comments.

Ok I follow you. It sounds like you may want to sell your current gun and get one that’s more nimble. You might want to consider a bull pup type gun for a woods walker, and there’s plenty of good posts on here that’ll help you find one. But my question to you is, if you don’t want to lug around an air tank, and all you do is shoot small game, why not opt for a spring piston type .22? 

If you have the older model with the heavy aluminum bottle you can buy the Talon Tunes carbon fiber bottle to cut the weight down and use a light weight Leupold VX3i EFR 6.5-20x40 AO OR Their 3-9x33 AO EFR to make it as light as possible. Then you get the best of everything too for $700-$900-$1000 depending on which Leupold EFR scope you choose and if you shop smart. As a reference assuming you have the old heavy aluminum bottle Airwolf it should feel around the same as right now but without a scope.

Remove the scope from the scope rails and carry it see if you can live with that weight or just a hair heavier.

You can also buy a super light weight $145 Benjamin Maximus from MidwayUSA for hunting while the Airwolf stays a bench gun too if you rather save money.

In fact the Maximus and Discovery guns are 2 of my all time favorite PCP guns due to their extreme light weight and low 2000psi fill pressure and not at all price dependant.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2083201846

For walking around and shooting things up to squirrel sized I think the suggestions of Maximus and disco are very good suggestions, the Maxi is pretty slim IMHO. Only thing I would offer is also looking at the QB derived guns, Chief is a good one, also low fill, good shot count, and accurate enough if you are going to stalk game, or hit pest birds out to 40-50 depending on weather. All these guns I would put into the same class as a classic 22 rim fire, thing CZ 4xx, or one of the older Remington autos, 552 or something along those lines.

Pocket full of pellets and you would be good for a day, not unlike a rimfire.