• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for advice

Hi Ripper,

Out to what range does your Maximus stay consistent? Also, are you using the .22 or the .177 version and at full strength or the detuned version?

Mine is 17 caliber. You might want to go with the 22 caliber. I’ve only shot mine out to 35 yards and it will hold a 3/8 Group at that distance. But that’s not with a rock solid rest either.Mine is not detuned.

Thanks for letting me know. I will have a look and see what they have available up here for. But 35 yards is better than what my buddies Phantom .22 is doing.

When I started looking at pellet rifles, I was looking for something for pest control. I have since decided that I am going to do some squirrel hunting since 22 rim fires are hard to come by. I didn’t want to spend a fortune on a rifle that would be used at close range. I don’t want or have the desire to make 100 yard shots. The longest shot I would make would be 30 to 40 yards. I read a lot of reviews at a lot of different places. Decided on a Crosman F4. I changed out the cheap scope with a decent Bushnell. Using 7.9 gr Crosman premier hollow points, I have been shooting groups that are between dime and nickel size at 30 yards. That is plenty good for what I bought it for. 

If a time comes when I want to make long shots, I will look at spending a lot more money on a rifle but for right now i am satisfied with my current rig.

When I started looking at pellet rifles, I was looking for something for pest control. I have since decided that I am going to do some squirrel hunting since 22 rim fires are hard to come by. I didn’t want to spend a fortune on a rifle that would be used at close range. I don’t want or have the desire to make 100 yard shots. The longest shot I would make would be 30 to 40 yards. I read a lot of reviews at a lot of different places. Decided on a Crosman F4. I changed out the cheap scope with a decent Bushnell. Using 7.9 gr Crosman premier hollow points, I have been shooting groups that are between dime and nickel size at 30 yards. That is plenty good for what I bought it for. 

If a time comes when I want to make long shots, I will look at spending a lot more money on a rifle but for right now i am satisfied with my current rig.

The Crosman F4, is that the same platform as the Nitro Venom?

Not trying to discourage you but from what I heard a couple months ago That you can’t get parts for the Sig.So if it needs work you have to send It back to them.That’s when I was doing research on one because I was thinking about buying one. I ended up getting the Weihrauch Instead. And I am very happy with it. But I will say I’ve heard good things about the Sig. I always look at customer reviews from places that sell them and YouTube videos are OK but I don’t rely on them as much. Whatever you decide just research the hell out of it. Benjamin Gives you a five year warranty and has great customer service. In my opinion you can’t beat them for the price. Although there are a few other airgun companies that are pretty good on their lower price air guns.

Not trying to discourage you but from what I heard a couple months ago That you can’t get parts for the Sig.So if it needs work you have to send It back to them.That’s when I was doing research on one because I was thinking about buying one. I ended up getting the Weihrauch Instead. And I am very happy with it. But I will say I’ve heard good things about the Sig. I always look at customer reviews from places that sell them and YouTube videos are OK but I don’t rely on them as much. Whatever you decide just research the hell out of it. Benjamin Gives you a five year warranty and has great customer service. In my opinion you can’t beat them for the price. Although there are a few other airgun companies that are pretty good on their lower price air guns.

The Maximus definitely a contender!! I wanted to get some feed back an maybe here about some stuff that is not discussed up here in the Canadian market. I look at youtube videos all the time and see stuff that you never here of up here and isn't available in local markets, but have found recently that they are available on the west coast.

The Maximus definitely a contender!! I wanted to get some feed back an maybe here about some stuff that is not discussed up here in the Canadian market. I look at youtube videos all the time and see stuff that you never here of up here and isn't available in local markets, but have found recently that they are available on the west coast.

The only negative on the Maximus is the trigger but can be easily upgraded. That was the first thing I did with it and is very easy. It’s so easy I think a seven-year-old could do it. And there’s videos on how to do that also. You just have to polish all the contact Areas on the trigger parts. It took me about 20 minutes to take it apart polish them and put a little dab a grease and put it back together. All the lower end Crossman’s Are like that. And also there is a lot of aftermarket parts and upgrades for them available.

The only negative on the Maximus is the trigger but can be easily upgraded. That was the first thing I did with it and is very easy. It’s so easy I think a seven-year-old could do it. And there’s videos on how to do that also. You just have to polish all the contact parts on the trigger parts. It took me about 20 minutes to take it apart polish them and put a little dab a grease and put it back together. All the lower end Crossman’s Are like that. And also there is a lot of aftermarket parts and upgrades for them available.

That is good to know. Available parts are always nice if you want to do a little build of your own!! How do you find loading the pellet? I can see from some you tube videos that you have to feed it then close the action. 

I haven’t shot mine in a while but I looked at it the other day and it is still holding air. I know I got more A lot more than 20 shots out of mine. Look on other websites and see what they tell you on how many shots. Because I passed up on a BSA that only would give you 25 shots. But to load it you just open the bolt Just like a powder burner and drop a pellet In the channel and push the pellet into the breach and close the bolt.I will tell you that my 17 caliber doesn’t give me a Lotta room to drop a pallet in there. That’s why I wish I would’ve got a 22. But if I put taller scope mounts, it would help out for me too.I have low profile mounts on mine and have some taller ones but just haven’t put them on yet. But they make a multi shot breach for it. There’s all kinds of aftermarket stuff for that gun.

OK I just looked and yes the 22 is supposed to give you 20 shots. 17 caliber is 30 shots. But I will tell you it doesn’t take long to pump that gun up with a hand pump. That makes a big difference right there. The tank on it holds 2000 PS I. Which is easy to pump up with a hand pump. Once you get up to over 3000 psi, that is when you won’t like to hand pump so much. But no worries with the maximus. I have arthritis in my shoulder really bad And I have no problem pumping it up. I just bought one of those cheap $35 Chinese hand pumps. I think they’re a tad more in price now. But I’ve had it as long as I’ve had the Maximus and I just used it on my air pistol a while ago.

OK I just looked and yes the 22 is supposed to give you 20 shots. 17 caliber is 30 shots. But I will tell you it doesn’t take long to pump that gun up with a hand pump. That makes a big difference right there. The tank on it holds 2000 PS I. Which is easy to pump up with a hand pump. Once you get up to over 3000 psi, that is when you won’t like to hand pump so much. But no worries with the maximus. I have arthritis in my shoulder really bad And I have no problem pumping it up. I just bought one of those cheap $35 Chinese hand pumps. I think they’re a tad more in price now. But I’ve had it as long as I’ve had the Maximus and I just used it on my air pistol a while ago.

Thanks for letting me know. I looked it up here and they sell the Maximus as a kit with a pump. Haven't found one yet without the pump. But the kit is $329 CAD. Not a bad price when you consider the accuracy. I have been told that the Weihrauch are really good! Up here they start at $600 CAD. Even the Sig ASP20 is around $500. The Cadian market is crazy with stuff like this because of the classification. That is why I ask allot of questions here.

Don't buy the Maximus it's not much of a challenge to shoot like any recoilling type Springer where you really have to concentrate to get good consistant sub one inch groups at 50 yards all day long.

The Maximus accuracy gets rather boring shooting 50-75 yards and not much of a challenge even plinking out to 90-100 yards.

If you only shoot close range such as 25-30 yards then pretty much any cheap spring gun could do just fine once you get disciplined enough to shoot them consistently accurate. Not like you need or want to shoot long range with a Springer anyway unless you buy the RWS Diana 54 or 56 then that's a different story for 100+ yard shooting and they are more accurate than the Maximus past 100 yards.

If you are limited to 500fps then I would suggest an entry level 10 meter rifle since they are designed for accuracy.