• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for advice for a friend on iguana hunting rifle

All,

I know there’s a bunch of you guys down there in Florida who hunt these things, in fact as I’m posting this, the title of the posting below me talks about iguanas 🦎

I have a friend down in Florida who wants to be able to safely, quietly and efficiently hunt iguanas.

He is not budgeted for a PCP, and does not want to pump.

I’m planning to recommend a high-powered 22 break barrel, shooting approximately 23 foot pounds. That’s moving right out for a 22 break barrel. There are a couple that are accurate enough out to 45 yards to hit the vitals. He’s a shooter, and he’s the kind of guy who will practice with his rifle. He also understands the law in Florida about using enough force to kill the beast humanely.

I will probably recommend the sigsauer, or an R1, or possibly a couple others that are all in that category. I’m going to set him up with a decent 12 power scope, that is springer capable. I don’t see any advantage in a 25 caliber Springer, as far as hunting this type of beast. I think shot placement is more important than anything. 23 foot pounds will do some damage if put in the right spot. IMO. What’s yours?

mike

Is this enough rifle to do the job if used properly?

As always, shot placement is crucial. Especially so with these guys, as they are tough and die slowly if not hit correctly. I've seen iguana double lung simply turn and walk away.

Having said that, even less FPE can kill them if a brain hit is performed. Probably only would really need 12 FPE for a well placed shot, but I agree higher FPE should be sought.

The sig will do the job quite well, as would the d48 and a plethora of others. My first Iguana came with around 16FPE d34 clone in .22.

Screenshot_20210127-205623_Message.1611799033.jpg

Best of luck!

GR,

Exactly what I was looking for. I’m not that worried about power now after reading your post. 20 foot pounds and dead on the brain is going to be a lot better than 25 foot pounds on the noggin.

if you go with brain only, does a 177 function equally as well? To me the killing power between the 177 and the 22 is night and day because of surface area, and overall weight of the pellet. However If I’m going for brain, 117 is deadly accurate and very flat.

mike

GR,

Exactly what I was looking for. I’m not that worried about power now after reading your post. 20 foot pounds and dead on the brain is going to be a lot better than 25 foot pounds on the noggin.

if you go with brain only, does a 177 function equally as well? To me the killing power between the 177 and the 22 is night and day because of surface area, and overall weight of the pellet. However If I’m going for brain, 117 is deadly accurate and very flat.

mike

I prefer the trajectory of the .177, but I went for .22 for my "Iguana gun" due to your observations.

I don't really hunt with any springer much past 45 yards give or take. The iguana I encounter let me easily get to within 20 yards...can get even closer to most of them. If I was going to hunt Iguana out at greater distances, I would insist on much more FPE.

My current set up is .22 at around 16FPE and I'd like to keep it under 25 yards (all my opinion).

Shot placement is 99% of killing iguanas. I've shot quite a few with my .22 streamline shooting jsb hades right at 900 fps and they typically pass through the head. I think a .22 with at least 20 fpe should do the job done as long as you can get good head shots however some of the big boys sometimes need something a little bigger to take them down quickly.

As far as the debate over pellet size goes, a light 177 pellet does fly flatter but it has far less momentum going for it once it gets to the target, especially at hunting distances. It is better to have the retained energy and momentum that a heavier projectile has once it strikes the game animal, especially with a small, tough dinosaur. A paper airplane and a brick can have the same speed, but...

I'm never a big fan of conversations that center around minimun requirements for anything. I personally designed and built a bunk bed where the top can support well over 1,500 pounds. Why? No, my family is average sized. I just I'll have loved ones above and below. I COULD have built it to the minimum 250lbs, but why risk it?
20200303_183922.1611841624.jpg

However, it IS productive to have the knowledge to make certain your shot is moral, ethical, AND humane.

Shot placement is paramount, but devoid of proper energy is useless. I can't tell you how many games of police/robber I ended up being on the receiving end of a fatal head shot, but at around 1 to 2 FPE produced by my red rider all the shot did was sting. 

Placement and FPE are both vital. Having said that, I know many that say the MINIMUM FPE for Iguana brain kill is 8 FPE at POI. That needs to be kept in mind. The distances will dictate what muzzle energy will be acceptable for your quarry.

There's a 22 RWS 54 for $400 shipped on AGW classifieds since the $299 UMAREX USA sale are sold out.

He is likely cashing in the $240 he paid last month but its worth paying $400 shipped NOTHING in the current springer category from any brand will beat it's accuracy at 100 yards and beyond. Shoot real accurate almost like a better than average PCP like consistent 1/2 to 5/8 at 50 yards all day long. This is without even having to try hard.

Id suggest the Gamo magnum fusion. its got that .22 power, light weight and a 10 shot mag.

I love the idea of having a magazine for follow up shots. How does it shoot?

My personal objective is to be able to reliably hit the kill zone size 10 for 10 times. I won't shoot to kill if I can't hit the dime size challenge at the yardage of my game. That's why I stick to less than 50 yards. My personal limitation for the 10 dime challenge is around 50 yards with my springers. How does this gun "stack up"? I would love to have a magazine feed shooter in my arsenal...