Looking for accurate .30 @ 200yrds

Well for 200y, pellets are out of the question. 150y on a calm day is possible, but then you have the "hang time" and holdover calculations to contend with.

Depending on what size prey you're hunting, energy requirements determine what ammo should be used. A smaller kill zone is also going to translate to the need for precision accuracy, and unfortunately that means the list of "plug and play" options are real limited.

An Impact would be an option. Do know that higher power introduces nasty problems with harmonics (more pronounced with longer barreled rifles). You can mod the barrels for adding rigidity to lessen these issues, but that depends on your level of skill and willingness to "tune".

I've learned that long range shooting with airguns requires good performing ammo with a lot of power to drive them from a solid barrel system (and not all barrels are created equal). I have two PCPs right now that are definitely capable of hunting at 200y, my Veteran 22 cal is a project that I have spent around 8 months tinkering with shooting 40gr boat tails just under supersonic when maxed out, and my new EVOL 30 which solves for eliminating the majority of harmonic problems out of the box. My 22 with 40gr has more power and shoots flatter when tuned down (0.155 BC) than my 30 ca does maxed out with 62gr Varmint Knockers (0.13 BC @840fps).

Now majority off the shelf airgun slug ammo doesn't perform all that great for me long range. The heavier the better. Anything with a BC under 0.13 and lighter than 40gr winds up drifting in the wind too hard after ~140-150y, but I find that you can mitigate a lot of that wind drift in 30 cal with ammo weighing 60gr or more (these 40gr Griffin slugs have almost no drift whatsoever at 300y).

If you want really flat, find a good .257 (make sure you research problems with some that are on the market though). Otherwise, my votes are EVOL 30, Impact 30 (or .22 with 40gr), Just make sure whatever it is has the power to shoot whatever ammo is appropriate (no less than 0.13 BC for accuracy at 200y). I'd consider identifying the projectile first, then matching a rifle to the projectile.

I have those also! I bought a couple lower budget PCP guns this last year and am not getting as much grief from the wife, kids & nearby property owners using air. I like the tinkering as well, somewhat addicting. I've has some decent shots at 100yrds + that didn't kill though likely due to power loss at the distance and accuracy of the shot placement so want to step it up my game a notch.

You have several suggestions from others on which .30 cal / Brand to choose from. Whatever you end up buying, I would spend considerable time target shooting first at your desired distances, so you know how accurate you are with that air gun, and at that distance. Having “decent shots at 100+ yards that didn’t kill,” is not something that you or anyone else wants when shooting at small game. The kill zones for many small game animals can be small enough that your new airgun cannot accurately and confidently dispatch that animal at 150-200 yards. 

There are many on this and other air gun forums who can shoot small game successfully at these distances, but there are also many more who won’t take these shots because of all of the variables with hunting at those distances. Once you spend enough time target shooting at various distances, this will give you a pretty good feel for the gun’s ( and your ) relative accuracy. 

Since you mentioned you are new to airguns, I just wanted to present a point of view for your awareness. 

Pretty sure any of the YouTube stuff is going to be heavily edited and ... at times sponsored. This said, not to offend, but more so to suggest capturing the most epic moments. Kind of like Dude Perfect and the rest of the folks who like toss basketballs off big damns and score nothing but the net.

200 yards in the wind? Use a PB. MV/ME isn't enough to buck the wind at 200 yards even with slugs.

Let me put it in PB terms:

How accurate would you be with a .22 short, sub-sonic, out of a Marlin model 60 at 200 yards?

I went out on a hunt with the 68. Whiskey guys after they tuned my Impact. I don't doubt what they post in their videos. If you watch, they show misses as well as the hits. Misses are educational. Probably not a lot of guys are on their level, but they are proving the potential of high powered airguns.

I do not have one, but based on what my Wolverine HP .25 Cal can do, I am of the idea that a Wolverine HP in 30 Cal should be very accurate at long distance.

Mine in .25 cal is the must accurate at 100 yards of all my rifles, including Vulcans, Uragans, FX, Evanix, Bantam, Jager, everything! 

Well rested, hiting a dime at 100 yards, is a must with the Wolverine with 34 grain jsb´s.

.257 Airforce Texan. It shoots a much heavier bullet than most Airguns of that size cailber. You will need to carry a bottle with you as 3 shots is about the max. That being said, I think a .17HMR, a .204 Ruger or a standard.223 Remington would be a better option at 200 yards for shooting animals. If you want to shoot paper or beer cans, that is entirely different. 

1596266723_18537261195f2518e35de714.77010827.png
1596266723_17166422925f2518e38554a5.99052474.png

200 yards you say? I’d recommend 30 cal on up for pellets and then 22 cal on up and minimum 40-50 ft/lbs with slugs.

I can almost hit a peanut butter jar everytime at 250 yards with my 30 ft/lb 22 cal regal shooting 20.2 nielsons. If I had more power it would be a breeze and wouldn’t be afraid to push it alot further 😎

I have to say, that if you can hit a peanut butter ( and, almost every time ) jar at an "astounding" 250 yards with your DS Regal at 30 FPE shooting those slugs, you are a fantastic shooter. I had my Regal XL in .22 for about a year and a half, and while it was a very accurate squirrel / target / plinking gun up to around 40 or 50 yards, I never would even think of using it for something that was 250 yards away. I could regularly get 1/2" - 3/4" groups at 50 yards ( depending on wind ) at my local range, but never even shot it past 75 yards. Too little velocity for long distance IMHO. 

Anyway, I thougt the giant peanut butter cartoon was hysterical.

Doubleup,

I did not chime in in this discussion, simple did not what to encourage 200+ yard hunting with someone I do not know. 

Must say Dan, after that post, you have some wit and had me laughing, regarding the peanut butter jar!

There is a video that may be of interest to you regarding long range shooting, i'll try to locate for you, i know i was impressed. But realize, I would not recommend such long range hunting to the 99 % of the people here, though there is that 1% that has taken the time and expertise to become quite efficient at it.

Cheers

Wow... amazed no one has mentioned the .30 Uragan. 

I took mine out to 200 several times and played with different slugs. 

So far, the best is the NSA 49gr. It gave me this group at 200 : 13 just under 4 inches, with 2 flyers to the right. Was a touch windy but I'll bet that was on me. 

1596308751_8286659495f25bd0f8549b0.08666852.jpg

I have yet to test many other weights and slugs. I'm sure I can tighten these up. 

I dunno, just FYI