• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for a rifle for coyote hunting.

75gr V-Max at approx 100 yards. Hit low. Not fur friendly if you are looking to sell the hide.

coyote.1638058866.jpg

I suggest a minimum of 50 ft lbs for head shots. But I wouldn't judge anyone that shot them with whatever they got. In Nevada we'd shoot 3-4 a week hardly trying with powder burners because they would kill dogs and cats like mad. It was an infestation. In that case any deterrent was warranted. But I will finally say if you want to drop them in their tracks I'd suggest a head shot at close range with slugs. There could be many reasons why people choose different airguns and calibers. Noise probably being the main factor in my choices. 

I had a Coyote problem when moving onto my property that backs the FS. They attacked my dogs wounding one, killed possibly two of them which never showed up again, and most of my chickens and ducks. Long story short I shot 3 Coyotes through the chest with my 22rf using standard velocity ammo, they all ran off. Even though I don't like Coyotes I still don't want them to suffer anymore than needed so now I use my 17 and 20 caliber centerfire's which give a "BANG FLOP END OF STORY". 

So that puts my IMHO to the .257, 308, etc, pcp's with lots of energy, if at all possible.

A .357 Benjamin Bulldog is definitely capable as is a big bore Airforce Texan. A stock Bulldog’s probably your best bet for that price range. I’ve read that AEA makes capable guns, but I’ve never used them and don’t know much about the accuracy and particulars of various models. They do seem to be affordable and powerful though. Maybe someone with experience with them can chime in. 

No votes for the AAA Evol .30 for coyotes? (The Evol is directed toward @KevinTN’s post).

Man, that's a beautiful air rifle!!!

In the $700 range I got to say my recent experience with the Winchester Model 70 .35 has been really good. I really like the gun for predator type hunting. The accuracy I'm getting with the 110gr NSA's are really good out past 100. The gun is putting out a conservative 130 fpe over 8 shots. 

IMG_20211022_230205_115.1637949744.jpg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

Man, that's a gorgeous Winchester Air Rifle. 

A .357 Benjamin Bulldog is definitely capable as is a big bore Airforce Texan. A stock Bulldog’s probably your best bet for that price range. I’ve read that AEA makes capable guns, but I’ve never used them and don’t know much about the accuracy and particulars of various models. They do seem to be affordable and powerful though. Maybe someone with experience with them can chime in. 

No votes for the AAA Evol .30 for coyotes? (The Evol is directed toward @KevinTN’s post).

Yeah the EVOL is a badass hunting gun for sure. Didn't mention it due to OP's budget as this is a commitment.

IMG_20210423_125337_183.1637964311.jpg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

Duuuude, this would sooooo be my Avatar pic. Epic. Look at the horns on that Ram. Sweet!!!

For now in using 25cal Avenger with NSA 29'S-33.5. I have opened up the barrel port and polished the barrel but that's all I'm going to do to it only because it is an entry level gun. range for coyote is 50 yards and closer( head shots). I'm setup in a very nice spot in the deep in the woods with some clearing and 3 or 4 rolling hills about 15yards apart and 7 feet tall. next time I'm there ill take pic.

Reactions: qball
For now in using 25cal Avenger with NSA 29'S-33.5. I have opened up the barrel port and polished the barrel but that's all I'm going to do to it only because it is an entry level gun. range for coyote is 50 yards and closer( head shots). I'm setup in a very nice spot in the deep in the woods with some clearing and 3 or 4 rolling hills about 15yards apart and 7 feet tall. next time I'm there ill take pic.

Hmmm interesting!!!

Avenger in .25 with NSA slugs is an extremely lethal combo! Deadly accurate under 70 yards out of box and more than enough to get a full pass through on vital or head shot, you don’t need 2000 dollar guns at all! 

Your so right qball, on another rifle, I'm looking at very hard is the AEA big bore 35. very hard to beat this rifle when you put all three together, price, power and also Accuracy.

AEA challenger bullpup would make an ultimate yote gun, they even will come in 35 soon. Even the 30 cal is stupid good for the money, a good vita shot is all you need. More power won’t fix bad shot placement, anything above 25 cal slugs are over kill with very limited return unless your go to 22-250 Vmax varmint rounds then you can aim for the left toe. 

Your so right qball, on another rifle, I'm looking at very hard is the AEA big bore 35. very hard to beat this rifle when you put all three together, price, power and also Accuracy.

AEA challenger bullpup would make an ultimate yote gun, they even will come in 35 soon. Even the 30 cal is stupid good for the money, a good vita shot is all you need. More power won’t fix bad shot placement, anything above 25 cal slugs are over kill with very limited return unless your go to 22-250 Vmax varmint rounds then you can aim for the left toe.

If you can, get a chance to shoot the AEA against the Bulldog. I absolutely hated the +7 pound single trigger on my AEA gun, and sold it here for a heck of a loss. I will assume the Challenger has a lighter trigger, but if they still have them in bolt action instead of lever action, you'll kick yourself for just how much force is even needed to cock it. The Bulldog trigger is butter smooth in comparison. I also hear the Texan has a very nice trigger as well.

Just know this for sure, you have to look at the AEA guns as kit guns. There is only a small warranty from the distributor (not the manufacturer) and they make changes along the way on their production runs. Just this year alone, they have introduced 4 or 5 models, and discontinued around 3. I'm still waiting on the strong spring for my AEA gun that I bought in March, and it never showed up.