• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for a new scope soon...

Got a few guns in the safe that sit so will be selling them off here in the near future and would like to upgrade a scope instead. I'll admit I'm an Athlon fan and have the 4-16x44 Midas Tac atop my EVOL standard. That's my favorite scope I've owned. I love it but would like to have something with a Christmas tree reticle for holding windage.

I'm looking for something equal to or better with around a $1000 budget. Things it needs is a FFP center dot reticle with preferably a Christmas tree reticle. I prefer MIL. Prefer 10yd minimum parallax adjustment. I'll admit I prefer smaller scopes and don't want anything larger than a 50mm objective. Illumination isn't necessary. Don't need magnification higher than 20x honestly either. That's what's coming to the top of my head at the moment. Might add more later.

I plan on moving the Midas Tac to my Tikka T1X once I get a new scope for the EVOL to upgrade it from the Athlon Argos BTR Gen2.

The Area ETR 3-18x50 sounds about perfect! I'll need to do more research there.

Had a Helix not long after they came out and got returned right away. No Element scopes for me. Way hyped for what I've seen.

Alpha 6 isn't on the list either. Glass clarity is one thing but many other things make a good scope.

I'll need to look into the new Sidewinders. Looked through a Hawke once but wasn't impressed but do think it was a lower model.

I'll check out that Crimson Trace Curt. Doesn't sound like a bad deal!

The Area ETR 3-18x50 sounds about perfect! I'll need to do more research there.

Had a Helix not long after they came out and got returned right away. No Element scopes for me. Way hyped for what I've seen.

Alpha 6 isn't on the list either. Glass clarity is one thing but many other things make a good scope.

I'll need to look into the new Sidewinders. Looked through a Hawke once but wasn't impressed but do think it was a lower model.

I'll check out that Crimson Trace Curt. Doesn't sound like a bad deal!

As a non-scope guy I feel like Element and Alpha are the most mentioned scopes here. I am lucky enough to not have owed highend glass above the quality of Leupold. I've lucked through expensive glass, but nothing is like living with a scope on your rifle for a bit. If I owned something high end, I wouldn't be able to step down to my Leupolds and Leapers (I like the L brands I suppose). On the Element note: I checked the brand out (nexus) and didn't think it was anything special except the scope reticle was a rather full wind drift pattern. It seemed excessive but that is just me. Nice enough of a scope but not worthy of every Youtube Channel having one and seemingly hyping it up as though it was the greatest thing since slice bread. 

Tell us what nice scope you land on. Maybe someday I'll decide to go beyond my L oser brands 

Not exactly a lightweight scope but that ETR 3-18x50 is going to be the scope to beat for that budget. Heck with your young eyes the reticle might even be decent on 3x???

It should have "almost" daylight bright illume too, which helps with seeing the reticle during a dull day or on dark targets.

That APRS6 mil reticle is practically an ideal tree reticle! 

If you can suffer a clear focus on 12x at 20Y the Cronus G2 BTR 4.5-29x56 is a ridiculous scope! Man I LOVE mine for many reasons but the illume is fully daylight bright on a nice day which is so cool, and I can plainly see the reticle on 4.5x when lit up. I honestly don't feel the need to spend $3000+ for tier 1 scopes anymore because it's THAT GOOD!!! Though I'm not planning on selling the ones I have either.

Steve, right now I'm leaning towards the Area ETR 3-18x50 with that APRS6 Reticle. Looks awesome but not available anywhere yet but sounds like soon so should be available when I get ready to order one. I think the reticle can be plenty useable since I really enjoy the reticle of the 4-16 APRS2 and that's pretty small as you know but yeah my eyes are about all that's still as good as it ever was at my young age!

Man ctshooter that seems like an amazing scope for the EVOL. I'm gonna need to o look into how I can swing something like that maybe.

Dairyboy - I'm going to make a more expensive recommendation for you, used/demo Nightforce NX8 4-32 with MilXT reticle.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforce%20NX8%204-32x50%20Mil-XT%20Riflescope%20C634%20Showroom%20Demo.aspx

It's more than you want to spend, but it's the last scope you'll buy and ever wonder how you lived without it. You EVOL is worth it. I got mine with my EVOL. Have since transferred it over to the Red Wolf as I can't afford to have two.

OH CRAP that's a GOOD DEAL!

REALLY LIKE MINE!!!

I JUST GOT THE ATHLON 4.5-29X56 CRONUS...

DAMN THE GLASS IS CLEEEEEEEAR!!!

IN FACT IT IS HANDS DOWN THE CLEAREST NICEST ATHLON SCOPE I HAVE EVER LOOKED THROUGH AND FIRST LOOK THROUGH FOR SURE LIKELY TO PASS THE SIGHTRON SIIIs and Nightforce SHV and Delta Stryker 4.5-30x56 (haven't tried the 5-50x yet). THIS ONES LIKELY GONNA GIVE THE TRACT TORIC A REALLY GOOD RUN AND POSSIBLY THE NIGHTFORCE NX8 PENDING A NICE ENOUGH DAY TO DO SIDE BY SIDES.

HOWEVER- there's a problem with the illumination that only half the reticle is daytime bright like the hands at 3 O-Clock position while the 9:30 section of the reticle is about 1/4 as bright. Like a Hawke Sidewinder 30 (The older ones). It's kinda heavy like the Crimson Trace. BTW I am not worried about Athlon's no hassle lifetime warranty.

The JAPAN Crimson Trace 3 or 5 series at less than half of their normal prices would be a no brainer b4 I pay $999 for any (NON HAWKE FRONTIER) Chinese scope.

if anyone insist on going the expensive Chinese made scope route then the Hawke Frontier H7 has THE NICEST glass out of all Chinese scopes I have personally looked through.

I JUST GOT THE ATHLON 4.5-29X56 CRONUS...

DAMN THE GLASS IS CLEEEEEEEAR!!!

IN FACT IT IS HANDS DOWN THE CLEAREST NICEST ATHLON SCOPE I HAVE EVER LOOKED THROUGH AND FIRST LOOK THROUGH FOR SURE LIKELY TO PASS THE SIGHTRON SIIIs and Nightforce SHV and Delta Stryker 4.5-30x56 (haven't tried the 5-50x yet). THIS ONES LIKELY GONNA GIVE THE TRACT TORIC A REALLY GOOD RUN AND POSSIBLY THE NIGHTFORCE NX8 PENDING A NICE ENOUGH DAY TO DO SIDE BY SIDES.

HOWEVER- there's a problem with the illumination that only half the reticle is daytime bright like the hands at 3 O-Clock position while the 9:30 section of the reticle is about 1/4 as bright. Like a Hawke Sidewinder 30 (The older ones). It's kinda heavy like the Crimson Trace. BTW I am not worried about Athlon's no hassle lifetime warranty.

The JAPAN Crimson Trace 3 or 5 series at less than half of their normal prices would be a no brainer b4 I pay $999 for any (NON HAWKE FRONTIER) Chinese scope.

if anyone insist on going the expensive Chinese made scope route then the Hawke Frontier H7 has THE NICEST glass out of all Chinese scopes I have personally looked through.

How are the turrets on that new Cronus?

Just had enough daylight to take a looksee.

Will do more subjective evaluation next nice day that's not raining or overcast.

I got the 210108 it's the 4.5-27x56 34mm Gen1 got it for super cheap under $1000 shipped.

I did say that they can be had for $1000 and under if you shop smart MANY months ago but wasn't allowed to disclose specific places To post their info on this forum but gave many hints. Still Not the cheapest though but Calling Cameraland and mentioning the other forums gets added discounts like $150 off too if anyone just keeps up and read all the Other forums daily to save their own money and $150 off is like 2 weeks worth of large take out breakfast OR subway foot long with a drink lunch money OR for McDonald's almost 3 weeks worth of Regular size Big Mac or Quarter pounder combo meal.

Steve, right now I'm leaning towards the Area ETR 3-18x50 with that APRS6 Reticle. Looks awesome but not available anywhere yet but sounds like soon so should be available when I get ready to order one. I think the reticle can be plenty useable since I really enjoy the reticle of the 4-16 APRS2 and that's pretty small as you know but yeah my eyes are about all that's still as good as it ever was at my young age!

Man ctshooter that seems like an amazing scope for the EVOL. I'm gonna need to o look into how I can swing something like that maybe.

That Ares ERT 3-18x50?????

It sells for $999 b4 negotiations at Cameraland.

I'd buy a NEW HAWKE FRONTIER H7 for that kind of cash if I wanted to spend that much on a Chinese made scope and not try the half priced Japan made scopes. To me it's a no brainer the Frontier H7 IS THE CLEAREST CHINESE MADE SCOPE MONEY CAN BUY.

To me it looks like lower end priced Japan glass (LIKE SWFA SS) in the H7.

That Ares ERT 3-18x50?????

It sells for $999 b4 negotiations at Cameraland.

I'd buy a NEW HAWKE FRONTIER H7 for that kind of cash if I wanted to spend that much on a Chinese made scope and not try the half priced Japan made scopes. To me it's a no brainer the Frontier H7 IS THE CLEAREST CHINESE MADE SCOPE MONEY CAN BUY.

To me it looks like lower end priced Japan glass (LIKE SWFA SS) in the H7.

I couldn't say one way or another about the Hawke but the ETR 4.5-30x56 I had was almost as nice as the glass in my two previous Cronus scopes. WAAAAY better than any regular SWFA SS I've ever looked through, and I can't stress this enough!!! Actually much more like SWFA's "HD line" which is pretty good glass, like their HD 3-9 and HD 5-20 FFP's, but the color in these was muted giving good contrast though lacking warmth.