Looking for a new optic

Looking for a new scope for my taipan veteran, i have a 200$ vortex diamondback and on it that i had laying around and i really want something more and need some recommendations. Budget is basically up to $1000 but id prefer something under 500-700 (or cheaper) so i can buy alot of pellets. I shoot my firearms alot more than my air rifle but ammo prices have me going back to my air rifle.

Go read what the OPTICS SECTION of AGN forum has to say.

Be aware of warranty and forgot to add Arken didn't get back to me about question about scope bluriness and ended up just returning to dealer for refund. Arkens got the worst customer service blatantly ignoring customer question on issue with scope next to Niko. Ripping me off on a warranty scope I never received back and Halo sent back broken rangefinder still within Warranty said sorry obsolete item no replacement and BSA and there's many more but you find out for yourself the hard way by not doing due diligence on warranty specifics and not reading feedback from actual owners disgruntled or not who will never ever buy certain brands of scopes ever after their bad experiences.

261d.svg
Cameraland...in NY...

🤗 on sale! Thanks Odoyle!

Recently picked up an Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA from CamLand...same scope as Midas TAC but with illumination...nice clear glass, zero stop, lifetime warranty.

That’s a good deal they have on that scope. I have thought about trying one out but keep hoping they will lower the prices more on the Cronus since the Gen2 is about to be available. 

how do the athlon midas compare to strike eagle or vortex viper? Never really used an athlon but the diamonback on my veteran is just a 200$ version leaving alot more to desire i feel like the clarity isnt as good as i want. I own a 2 vortex viper pst scopes on my actual firearms but wanted to try something different than vortex so the athlon recommendations have me interested to try something new, i just don't know a whole about them and the type of quality they are compared to vortex and other manufactures, are they g2g?

I have never looked through a Midas Tac but I have shot with a Viper PST Gen2 and I have heard they are close. I wouldn’t even consider the Strike Eagle, your Diamondback is better. $1149 gets you a Cronus and it’s noticeably better than the others mentioned. I have resisted buying a Cronus, the sale price makes it tough to resist. If they reduce it any more I will be ordering one. 

I have never looked through a Midas Tac but I have shot with a Viper PST Gen2 and I have heard they are close. I wouldn’t even consider the Strike Eagle, your Diamondback is better. $1149 gets you a Cronus and it’s noticeably better than the others mentioned. I have resisted buying a Cronus, the sale price makes it tough to resist. If they reduce it any more I will be ordering one. 

After you get your $209 Alpha6 I bet you side by side it with the Cronus you may think there's not that much difference. Be sure to buy your Cronus from return friendly dealer you probably find it for $1000 if you take all my hints. The Cronus has a 25 yard focus FYI.

If you side by side with the Vortex PST Gen2 you may think the A6 glass appears nicer.

I probably shouldnt spend anymore money but im REALLY itching for a quality optic for once that isnt made in china, i just want to see what im missing out on and if all the hype over Japanese glass is real.

I am on the same boat as you are, lol!

I am ready to buy a Z-Plus reticle Meopta Optika5 (1" tube) in 15x or 20x when they have them in stock.

Not really sure if this Optikas are made in the Czech Republic, you know.

They could be assembled in the RPC, for all I know, lol!

For whatever reason the prescription in the Midas TAC's suit my eyes better than the Ares BTR's???

I thought the new Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 had decent glass in it but the turrets were dismal???

I had the Ares ETR 4.5-30 and although the glass in it was fine I still like the glass more in the Cronus BTR. Turrets IMO in the ETR are some of the nicest in the market regardless of price!

I just sold another S&B and part of my plan is to get 2-3 Cronus BTR G2's and a few of the new G2 Helos, all of them with their new APRS6 .2 mil reticles. I need a little better glass than the Ares BTR provides and a small host of rifles that I want Cronus quality scopes on. On the less expensive rifles that I don't shoot much I'll probably?? be fine with the Helos G2's. But it is going to be awesome having the reticle I love on most of my rifles for a change, I feel like my searching is finally nearing its end!!!!!!!!! It's been super hard for me finding the balance of glass IQ, .2 mil reticle, close focus, illumination(daylight bright in the Cronus!!!), good to great build quality, weight, length, etc. I expect the G2 Helos to exceed my expectaions for the money, especially the new 2-12, I'll know in a few months.

Man, its so cool the rifle scope offerings available nowadays compared to a decade ago!! At least that will be a nice thing about 2021 to look forward too.