• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Looking for a machinist

Well just remember all the special measuring equiptment and fixtures you will need to cut a barrel. You don’t just chuck it up and grind off some here and there
As I mentioned, I already have a Mill so I already have measuring equipment etc. Of course the lathe will require its own tooling. I know what's involved. I probably go the used direction with the tooling included.

Just out of curiosity, what doesn’t your current Ghost barrel do and the reason you feel you need a custom barrel?
Shoot slugs. I was tired of waiting for brk and i really wanted a 600 not 700 so im having a no choke , rifled 600 mm barrel made. It seems to me that at some point not far off slugs are going to get into competitions so. Im trying to get a head start

Reactions: Bandito
Shoot slugs. I was tired of waiting for brk and i really wanted a 600 not 700 so im having a no choke , rifled 600 mm barrel made. It seems to me that at some point not far off slugs are going to get into competitions so. Im trying to get a head start
Well hopefully the guy who is doing your barrel shoots slugs out of his Ghost and has everything all figured out.

Reactions: Solo1
I agree that machining a blank to fit a block can be time consuming but from a engineering perspective it’s not normally that difficult, the only tricky part is small calibre barrels that have a breech seal o ring. Most of the tooling and measuring equipment required it what an engineer would already have or could use again on other projects if a special purchase was need.
I look at what needs to be done and if it can be done within a reasonable time limit before deciding if I want to undertake the work.

Bb

Please post results. Having a hard time finding someone to make a 17’’ LW Ghost styled barrel (no chrony) in .25 for my DW.
I will when i get it back so far he contacted me and said its showing promise on his first outing. He most likely won’t do 1 for you cause i think he felt sorry for me after hearing of my trouble with airgun revisions.

Have a lw barrel blank i need machined for my ghost anybody interested?
Give Paladin Machine service a call, search the web for "paladin machine service" for his website/contact information. I have used him several times and his work is impeccable. He has a great reputation in the PB world even though he lost his FFLin the c arter years when they managed to get rid of most "ktichen table" FFL's. His county wouldn't rezone his workshop at home to be commercial so bye bye FFL, a neighbor objected at the rezoning hearing. Lousy stinking snowflake transplant from a blue state. He has been retired from his real job for a long time, just does machining work to supplement his retirement. One of his biggest things is people send him an original pb barrel and a barrel blank, he duplicates them perfectly. I've had him make two barrels myself, among other things. His prices will make your jaw drop, becuase they are so cheap, not because they are expensive. Look up his web site and give him a call.

I am in a fortunate situation where I have a full machine shop at my place of work and I have taught myself/been taught enough that I now make parts for customers at $129/hr.

I have two FX M3s and many barrel kits, heavy superior and smooth twist x. From what I understand FX presses their liner rifling from the outside with a die which is far faster and simpler than rifling in the lathe.

Even without seeing the drawing that it sounds like was never drawn... I would say $210.00 is really light. The tolerances necessary would make this part take the better part of a day in my opinion. $1032.00 sounds like you would be in the ballpark for a C grade machinist like myself. No one has mentioned the liability of the barrel taking half of someone's face off because the drawing didn't specify a straightness tolerance.

A wise man told me once: "If you charge peanuts, you get monkeys."

Give Paladin Machine service a call, search the web for "paladin machine service" for his website/contact information. I have used him several times and his work is impeccable. He has a great reputation in the PB world even though he lost his FFLin the c arter years when they managed to get rid of most "ktichen table" FFL's. His county wouldn't rezone his workshop at home to be commercial so bye bye FFL, a neighbor objected at the rezoning hearing. Lousy stinking snowflake transplant from a blue state. He has been retired from his real job for a long time, just does machining work to supplement his retirement. One of his biggest things is people send him an original pb barrel and a barrel blank, he duplicates them perfectly. I've had him make two barrels myself, among other things. His prices will make your jaw drop, becuase they are so cheap, not because they are expensive. Look up his web site and give him a call.

I am in a fortunate situation where I have a full machine shop at my place of work and I have taught myself/been taught enough that I now make parts for customers at $129/hr.

I have two FX M3s and many barrel kits, heavy superior and smooth twist x. From what I understand FX presses their liner rifling from the outside with a die which is far faster and simpler than rifling in the lathe.

Even without seeing the drawing that it sounds like was never drawn... I would say $210.00 is really light. The tolerances necessary would make this part take the better part of a day in my opinion. $1032.00 sounds like you would be in the ballpark for a C grade machinist like myself. No one has mentioned the liability of the barrel taking half of someone's face off because the drawing didn't specify a straightness tolerance.

A wise man told me once: "If you charge peanuts, you get monkeys."
Thanks guys but ive already gotten someone to do it and it should be back in a week or so

Reactions: Scotay42
Well we have some very positive results today he shot a couple groups and this was at 50 yards and yes thats a dime!
20240401_113640.jpeg
20240401_113656.jpeg