• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Looking for a machinist

I do machining as a side business, I’m not looking to get into airgun smithing at this point, but I am curious what machining needed to be done to the barrel. Are there any drawings or sketches of what‘s involved? I’ve seen plenty of drawings for PBs, but very little on air rifles.
Here are 2 pics of the receiver end of my barrel. The entire barrel needed a couple thousands off and inside the breech needed an oring installed to go around the probe or bolt. Factory barrels are threaded on the end to screw on the air splitter but this just has a thick washer with oring on the outside fastened to barrel with 2 set screws. It really doesn’t seem like that much machining to me
IMG_4332.jpeg
IMG_4330.jpeg

Top is for a set screw bottom is where the air goes it behind pellet. Forgot to mention there is some machining for lead and the 2 steps you see

I do machining as a side business, I’m not looking to get into airgun smithing at this point, but I am curious what machining needed to be done to the barrel. Are there any drawings or sketches of what‘s involved? I’ve seen plenty of drawings for PBs, but very little on air rifles.
Each and every type or model / make will be different in terms of what needing to be done in taking a "Blank" and having it become "drop In" ready.
Concentric turning to bore, Straight or tapered leades / freebore at specific diameters & depth, Thimbles, Threading & Clocked transfer & breech indexing holes etc ... This for most and at minimum a 2 machine ordeal being a LATHE and MILLING MACHINE with appropriate Tooling & Set up fixtures

Here are 2 pics of the receiver end of my barrel. The entire barrel needed a couple thousands off and inside the breech needed an oring installed to go around the probe or bolt. Factory barrels are threaded on the end to screw on the air splitter but this just has a thick washer with oring on the outside fastened to barrel with 2 set screws. It really doesn’t seem like that much machining to me
View attachment 456641View attachment 456642

Top is for a set screw bottom is where the air goes it behind pellet. Forgot to mention there is some machining for lead and the 2 steps you see
Thanks, that helps. It might not seem like much work, but as someone earlier posted, set up takes a considerable amount of time in many situations. I’m fairly new to PCPs, I bought a Marauder last summer and also have an HW95 and a couple pump guns. I have been doing some basic mods, but it’s interesting to see how other guns are put together.

Each and every type or model / make will be different in terms of what needing to be done in taking a "Blank" and having it become "drop In" ready.
Concentric turning to bore, Straight or tapered leades / freebore at specific diameters & depth, Thimbles, Threading & Clocked transfer & breech indexing holes etc ... This for most and at minimum a 2 machine ordeal being a LATHE and MILLING MACHINE with appropriate Tooling & Set up fixtures
Thanks, I have the equipment for all of that, so that is no problem. I just started in the PCP world last summer with a Marauder and was a bit surprised at the lack of info that is available on the different guns. Do you need to have the gun in hand to reverse engineer the barrel profiles in most cases, or are there drawings available like with Remington, Savage, etc barrels for powder burners? I’m not interested in airgun smithing at this point, the prices I have seen for parts online is low enough that I would rather do other things that pay better, but having spent several decades in engineering, I constantly gather information that may be useful in the future.

Not always or typical ... Production AG's at times wain in holding ideal tolerance on some parts, as such having the said AG on the bench aids in getting nice & tight fitment or correctly altering a specific areas such as probe seating depths, leade/throat specs etc ... ( barrel work ) Same applies for other areas of the AG.
As stated it's not rocket science, but does require due diligent s in paying attention to the small details, which is also what separates those with the best of intentions from the professionals that know whats best too do & Not too do :unsure:

Reactions: Ischgl99
Your Price: $242.00
Stainless Steel Match .22 drop-in barrel
Questions about this item? Ask here.
MFN: 42
Availability: In Stock

CHOOSE OPTIONS​

Barrel length
20" 18" 16.5"
Quantity +-Submit
product tabs
Description