• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for a healthier lead alternative ammo choice for indoor .357

No idea the amount of lead that scatters. My first thought is vacuuming would blow it around, so sweeping might be better. Or perhaps lay down some lead-wipes and use your gloved hands to wipe up the area. Always wash yourself with cold water after handling lead.

Me, I think it's negligible enough, even after thousands of lead rounds, to not be much concerned. Most will be contained in the target box. Any "splatter" from shooting or hitting the target is likely graphite, not lead. Lead is soft, but not fragile. Anyway, I'm not a scientist, just my thoughts.

I use a cardboard box filled with rubber mulch that you can get about any hardware store. I prefer the "playground" version because it's larger and non-toxic.

Good luck in your pursuits, keep us posted!

Frank in Oregon

Most airgunners don't even think about the negative repercussions shooting lead indoors. Do you realize all the lead dust collects in the LDC? That blows across the room or hallway indoors that you and your kids breathe and don't see. Invisible lead vapor trail. Maybe us humans can build a strong immunity after breathing lead dust regularly like this. Just imagine the old municipal lead pipes you drink your water from.

I read that lead is practically ubiquitous in daily life due to past use of leaded motor fuels. I don't think you can escape it, but direct paths of lead into diet/respiration should be minimized. That said, lead is heavy, probably doesn't vaporize at airgun speeds, and unless you are consuming food off of the floor or shooting in food prep spaces, seems most of the exposure would be to the immediate shooter. I wouldn't want to be shooting over a carpeted surface, difficult to clean, but normal cleaning of hard surfaces should work I would think.

I always wash and size and lube my pellets. You don't have to size them but you should wash them you will be suprised at the ammount of particles left in the water. Always wear gloves handling lead pellets and lead bullets if you reload. As others have said wash your hands after you handle lead. I'm a range officer and do a lot of teaching and shooting both indoors and out doors. I have my blood tested every month. I have been lucky that my lead count has never been over 4 .

I would build a small pellet trap and target box and fill it rubber mulch that will stop any splatter and keep the noise down. Plus when you clean up the area wear a mask better safe than sorry. Have fun !

I always wash and size and lube my pellets. You don't have to size them but you should wash them you will be suprised at the ammount of particles left in the water. Always wear gloves handling lead pellets and lead bullets if you reload. As others have said wash your hands after you handle lead. I'm a range officer and do a lot of teaching and shooting both indoors and out doors. I have my blood tested every month. I have been lucky that my lead count has never been over 4 .

I would build a small pellet trap and target box and fill it rubber mulch that will stop any splatter and keep the noise down. Plus when you clean up the area wear a mask better safe than sorry. Have fun !

I won't argue with the safety aspect of using gloves, but I don't feel gloves are all that necessary. Lead particles are too large to enter the body through the skin so as long as you wash your hands you should be safe.

I shoot indoors almost everyday. Watching the news and shooting at 7 yards into a metal pellet trap. You guys are scaring me...I’ve seen all the fine dust in a moderator...and you can see how much I shoot by the contents of the pellet trap. I’m definitely going to be rethinking my indoor shooting sessions. Yeah I’m a sick old man...drawing pictures of rats and flys to shoot lol!
BE376667-31FA-463A-B4EC-9D5DD2834B74.1607042117.jpeg

I shoot indoors almost everyday. Watching the news and shooting at 7 yards into a metal pellet trap. You guys are scaring me...I’ve seen all the fine dust in a moderator...and you can see how much I shoot by the contents of the pellet trap. I’m definitely going to be rethinking my indoor shooting sessions. Yeah I’m a sick old man...drawing pictures of rats and flys to shoot lol!
BE376667-31FA-463A-B4EC-9D5DD2834B74.1607042117.jpeg

WOW!!!!!!!!! 

you might also want to look into 177 4 FPE 1701p with lead free ammo. If you use old shirts rolled up as pellet trap back stop half of the time you can retrieve the pellets in like new condition, lead free ammo is harder so you probably can get most of the pellets back for reuse as long as it doesn’t hit another pellet. At 450 FPS they will simply bounce off of old jeans. Yes, I’m a cheap bastard!!! 😎

So here are 2 H&N lead free 5.7 grain pellets shot through my 1701P pistol at 420 FPS or 2 FPE about 10 times each. The pellet on the right is new or have not been shot, accuracy didn’t change much if at all, even though l’m not a good pistol shooter but still get bullseyes or close to it with these recycled pellets. At this rate my 5 tins of lead-free pellets will last basically FOREVER!!!! 😂

275E413A-82E8-44B1-A4AB-F1689789FD51.1607050122.jpeg

another benefit is potential damage is almost none unless you shot someone in the eye, because these won’t even penetrate a single layer of T-shirt. Make sure you wear eye protection still because without a target paper they actually bounce back from hitting the T-shirt sometimes. I got the H&N trouphy green because they are the lightest of all lead free pellets or least amount of potential damage.

Just from the look of it there is no expansion at all, the grooves from the barrel seems to just move metal around and accuracy hasn’t really been affected but it’s postal at 20 feet and I’m not an Olympian shooter. I’m used the same handful of pellets for almost an hour now or about 7-8 times through the barrel. I might be onto something, at least for my cheap a$$. LOL

I’ll do a full write up about the setup I’m tinkering with more, I’m looking for an old but really soft pillow so the impact is as quiet as possible. 

Just from the look of it there is no expansion at all, the grooves from the barrel seems to just move metal around and accuracy hasn’t really been affected but it’s postal at 20 feet and I’m not an Olympian shooter. I’m used the same handful of pellets for almost an hour now or about 7-8 times through the barrel. I might be onto something, at least for my cheap a$$. LOL

I’ll do a full write up about the setup I’m tinkering with more, I’m looking for an old but really soft pillow so the impact is as quiet as possible.

I think CTShooter has talked about shooting into some sort of ballistic fabric if you want to go though the Replies Created tab in his profile.