• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for a friend, good close range pistol

Years ago I boarded my horse at a farm that also raised Peacocks which had lots of rats constantly after there feed. I was given permission to shoot them whenever I wanted. Most of the shots were less than 40ft. I had a new .22cal. Crosman 600 at the time and I must say it was pretty underpowered for the job. I almost always needed two or more shots. When I got my new RWS 45 it was almost always one shot kills even with it being 177. I think that rats are a borderline kill with a co2 pistol. A Benny multipump I think would be ideal.

Inexpensive rat killer in a CO2 gun that I'm familiar with is a Crosman Colt Python. Its accurate for about sixty shots before the CO2 starts running out. You can carry loaded clips of ten shots, and carry it in a holster. Mine is pretty old so they may have models that have optic options these days. ?

20230331_200728.jpg

Last edited:
I have shot two doves on my balcony bird feeding station with CO2 blow-back .177 pistols, with suppressors.

At less than 20 feet this resulted in a small cloud of feathers and two escaped doves.

Pick hunting pellets. I did not.

If you insist on a pistol you might try a Crosman 1322 with a lot of pumps. Otherwise use a cheap air rifle.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Inexpensive rat killer in a CO2 gun that I'm familiar with is a Crosman Colt Python. Its accurate for about sixty shots before the CO2 starts running out. You can carry loaded clips of ten shots, and carry it in a holster. Mine is pretty old so they prbably have models that have optic options these days. ?

View attachment 362916
I'd thought about those BUT....and here is the big BUT, he does a lot of work in San Francisco, so, anything that looks like a 'real' firearm is out of the question, he'll have the 10 remaining LEO"S on him so fast...Oh I forgot to mention that this is for attic work. I'd almost loan him my Daisy 717 but ..... I'm not parting with that for anyone.

I'd thought about those BUT....and here is the big BUT, he does a lot of work in San Francisco, so, anything that looks like a 'real' firearm is out of the question, he'll have the 10 remaining LEO"S on him so fast...Oh I forgot to mention that this is for attic work. I'd almost loan him my Daisy 717 but ..... I'm not parting with that for anyone.
Yes sir!
Accurate as heck, but not as powerful, and lacking good sights in dark situations. No optic options.

20230602_184601.jpg

Reactions: maxtrouble
This may be an option a Crosman 2240, CO2 bolt action repeater, with a set of Sheridan type scope mounts, with a red dot like I have on this H9A. I'm not sure about fitment yet, but I plan on trying it myself.

20230609_001234.jpg