• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking for a 22 that's not a barrel breaker, or PCP.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd get a pumper. Several good ones have been mentioned in this thread. I'm not sure if I know of a **bad** pumper. Every one I've used has been accurate. I suppose the main variable is max velocity, i.e. air capacity and to a lesser-extent, how good the seals are.

I think there's a few pumpers that have input ports, i.e. they double as a PCP. That would be a good "gateway drug" for you, in that you could gear-up slowly.

Reactions: HogKiller
How about picking up an Umarex Notos pcp with a good quality hand pump? You’ll be able to take care of all your garden critters and plink to your hearts content. Plenty of folks on here that can vouch for what a handy little carbine it is.
Easy to pump up.
Very quiet.
Regulated.
Good accuracy.
And affordable.
the Notos is a good choice get some JSB 14 grain pellets you should be happy.

Another vote for 362. Had PA install the steel breech, with a "Winchester" 4x32AO and some pellets it was around $250. Since you're going to try out to 50 yards, I would buy more scope, a 3-9 or 3-12.
Though at 50 yards you may want a PB with subsonic loads, and if you can get one a PB suppressor. Travis at Oh Shoot figured his 362 was good 35-40 yards.

Reactions: TC
Greetings from a very small patch of red in Washington State.
I've about gone blind viewing various reviews on youtube looking for an accurate 22 air rifle. I ended ordering a gamo swarm magnum 10x gen 3i and after a week sent it back. I could never get a group under 6" with it, had a lot of failure to load, and cocking was a real pain. I suspect the scope that came with it is the real problem. The PCP rifles look great, but I'm a 100 miles from any dive shop, and 6,000 psi nitrogen cylinders are spendy; Ditto good compressors. I'm' only after knocking down a few starlings, crows, or garden raiding rabbits, but I want to do it cleanly which means accuracy and enough power for clean kills.
The Diana 48 has my interest as does the Alpine PCP/Pumper. Diana looks to be a good product, not so much the Alpine in terms of lifespan.

So, I realize this is a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Fiat sort of truck question but what's your suggestion?
A 22 around the $500 and under that can be pumped up, or single stroked but not a break barrel.
I'd also like to stay away from anything coming out of China.

Thanks all, and have a safe and wonderful 4th!
You probably weren't getting the accuracy that you wanted because you were holding the rifle wrong. Springers require you to use an artillery hold in order to be accurate. This is because the gun is not done recoiling before the pellet has left the barrel. If you didn't want to use the artillery hold, but still wanted to use a breakbarrel springer a possible solution to this would be something like the Norica Omnia ZRS.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
You probably weren't getting the accuracy that you wanted because you were holding the rifle wrong. Springers require you to use an artillery hold in order to be accurate. This is because the gun is not done recoiling before the pellet has left the barrel. If you didn't want to use the artillery hold, but still wanted to use a breakbarrel springer a possible solution to this would be something like the Norica Omnia ZRS.

he also never mentioned pellets used

Thanks everyone. Lots of reading to do on the models suggested here.
You got me on the artillery hold. Never heard of it. My shooting was off the cement bench on my range. I'll have to look that term up.
I ran three different pellets through it including one all copper. I've become a fan of the Barnes line of copper LRX for hunting in both my 270 and 338/375 Ruger, so why not try copper in a pellet rifle? They all patterened about the same. Have a wonderful weekend!

1688230451095.png

Crosman 362, 100 Year Anniversary Edition​

Crosman 362 would be nice, it's got good power and looks very nice, $399.99, A bit on the high side for a pumper for the Anniversary edition, $104 for the black plastic version. on sale @ AGD
Seneca Dragonfly is nice too, lower power than the Crosman, but has Magazine and barrel threaded for moderator is a plus, not as good looking but not bad looking either.
looks Like Benjamin is only available in 397 .177 now, no 392 .22's, hmm what's up with that?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Thanks everyone. Lots of reading to do on the models suggested here.
You got me on the artillery hold. Never heard of it. My shooting was off the cement bench on my range. I'll have to look that term up.
I ran three different pellets through it including one all copper. I've become a fan of the Barnes line of copper LRX for hunting in both my 270 and 338/375 Ruger, so why not try copper in a pellet rifle? They all patterened about the same. Have a wonderful weekend!

copper dosnt deform as easy as lead, hence it does not create constant pressure behind pellet
skirts on pellets needs to deform against rifling

Regarding the 48, does it need to be shot with the artillery hold, or will it shoot for us guys that hold on tight?
The 54 will for sure. It has a recoilless design that renders it extremely accurate at long ranges with virtually no hold sensativity compared to most spring piston guns.

Given the price I would personally opt for a less expensive pcp, and a hand pump. But if you simply cannot use a hand pump or dont want a compressor, then the 54 is the ticket for the tasks you described.

you shouldnt tie any springer to concrete bench, thats for sure, any shooter actually
I'd have to agree. At least get a sandbag to rest it on.

he also never mentioned pellets used
I've got a Remington Nitro BB, the side of the barn was perfectly safe, after I straighten out the barrel, put on a decent UTG scope and a zillion different pellets, I FINALLY found it, it really LOVED heavy pellets. Of course this was before I knew a darn thing, much like now, about different pellets. Finally got it, to shoot decently. By then I'd started down the PCP rabbit hole.