Looking At Springers, What is the Best that is Readily Available ?

Hi Guys,

I know, I know, this is a Very subjective question but i am looking at getting a springer or piston gun.

I have the PCP's covered , Red Wolf , R5M Standard , FX Dream Tac, Daystate Renegade...

But if there is an apocalypse the pcp's are useless.. Lol

I do understand the limitations , and challenges of the springer , but with that said i do want to buy the best , most accurate gun that is readily available in todays market.

Wanting to use the gun for 25 to 50M shooting , plinking , hunting

I have trolled some you tube vids and there are some accurate " older " guns out there that are highly praised, but they are rare as hen's teeth and nobody wants to let them go....

I am not concerned with budget as long as the gun is what it is supposed to be, i learned the hard way with pcp's , buy a turd , you get a turd , and by the time you you spend the money to get it to be a " Good Turd " , you could have bought the better gun upfront 

I appreciate all input 

Forgot to mention, i am a Lefty so it must be either an ambidextrous or Left hand stocked gun.....

RWS 54 and 56. Nothing even comes close to either of their accuracy in the modern day Springer department if you want easy consistent sub one inch at 50 and around 1.5 to 2 inch at 100. Buy one in each caliber say 177 for the 56 and 22 for the 54 and couple Leupold EFR 6.5-20x40AO scopes and UTG drooper mounts specific to these guns and sets of good Picatinny rings.

Cant say enough about the mentioned guns (rws 54,56). Also, cant say enough about the weihrauch hw97. That gun is great out of the box. My sig asp20 is superb from a power and accuracy standpoint, and my D48 shoots as well as my 54 and I got for dirt cheap.

If it were my choice I'd go 97 for fixed barrel or asp20 for break barrel. For me, the 97 had zero learning curve, and the asp20 had a steep curve but I can get ALMOST the same accuracy from my asp as the 97. ALMOST, but not.

Nothing that isn't obvious, but I still gotta say; People will give you a list of what THEY'VE used. And tell you it's the best.

Yet not have shot more than a handful thoroughly in their recent memory. If that. Thus leaving out 100s of others. Of which many could be "better" for you.

The only answer to your question, IMHO, is to try several until you find yours. Could be the 1st one your pick up, could be the 100th. Hopefully earlier than later!

I can't imagine any modern break-barrel worth it's steel that can't hit sub-1" groups at 25-50y.

I'm no ninja and I can do it with an $80 varmint hunter. So long as the target doesn't move for a few seconds! :)

Nothing that isn't obvious, but I still gotta say; People will give you a list of what THEY'VE used. And tell you it's the best.

Yet not have shot more than a handful thoroughly in their recent memory. If that. Thus leaving out 100s of others. Of which many could be "better" for you.

The only answer to your question, IMHO, is to try several until you fine yours. Could be the 1st one your pick up, could be the 100th. Hopefully earlier than later!

I can't imagine any modern break-barrel worth it's steel that can't hit sub-1" groups at 25-50y.

I'm no ninja and I can do it with an $80 varmint hunter. Long as the target doesn't move for a few second! :)

This is so true. I even have a d34 knock off xisico that I can do almost pellet in pellet at 25.

Best is subjective. 

The Xsico XS25 very accurate 34 clone for a great price.

I hunt with my Hatsan's . The 125 in both .22 and .25 I have tuned and adjusted the triggers * the right way. The .22 ram is set at 160bar. The .25 at 170bar. They are both tack drivers at 50 yards. 

I also hunt with the Hatsan 135 .30 and a 130QE. They also have been worked on. The rams set at 170bar. They will put down just about any critter you shoot. Have taken several coyote and to many marmots to count. They average around 575fps shooting a 50 grain pellet. They are spot on at 50 yards or less and hit very hard.

It all depends on what you want, and if your willing to work on your guns. Most guys will immediately say get a English or German gun but there are other quality options out there.

For survival situation never count out the Benjamin or Sheridan pumpers. I've had one since 1974 and it has never let me down. Mines the Blue streak .20 in my humble opinion probably one of the best and reliable airguns ever made.

What caliber and power level are you looking at? Break barrel, under lever, or side lever?

I’ve bought about a dozen different break barrels in the last year, and I’d have to say that the R9/HW95 is the best of the bunch- unless you want something lower-powered. If that’s the case, drop down to an HW50; or an HW30/R7 for even less power and easier shooting.

If you look at what wins competitions, though, you’ll find that an under lever such as the TX200 or HW97 is what most probably use.

I am fortunate to own HW97s, TX200s a Diana 56, and FWB (7 Springer’s in all). All have been custom tuned. All are tack drivers. While I concur with what has been said about the power and accuracy of the 56, they are extremely heavy (I refer to mine as the beast). If I could only have one, it would be an HW97 with a Vortek PG3 HO kit in .22.

I own four beautiful pcps, and shoot the Springer’s exponentially more.

For your specified use I suggest the HW95. Top choice to carry in the woods considering weight and accuracy. You could use an HW50 for plinking because the 95 is heavier but the extra power of the 95 will pay dividends in the woods and reaching 50m. Underlevers and sidelevers will likely be better on the bench but you don't want/need the excessive weight on a hike afield.

The RWS sidelevers are accurate hammers but also anchors.

The HW95 covers 2 outa 3

The heavy guns cover 1 outa 3

I don't have an HW97 but do have an HW77k. I much prefer taking the 95 afield than the 77. With a pellet in my cocking hand the barrel cockers reload easier as well.

See the "Beeman R9 accuracy" post from yesterday. The R9 is an HW95 of course