Looking at Higher End .177's , Input From 1st Hand Owners Appreciated

Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a high end pcp in .177

The 2 Front runners at this time are the 

Daystate Red Wolf ( not the HP )

Brocock Sniper XR ( not the magnum ) my concerns with the Brocock are breech seal and accuracy, i had an older gun and it was a Turd..... would not hit the broad side of a barn and every 100 rounds or less blew the damn seal ....

I have a couple of FX's .22 , .25 , also Uragan Standard .22 and an R5M Standard .22 so i am missing the .177 in the collection

I am not limited to the 2 guns mentioned above, they are just at the top of the list right now...

I am a Lefty so that does play into the equation 

Thanks in advance for your input

Buy a Redwolf standard 177 and a standard Pulsar 177 I own both and you won't regret them. Have a 177 Veteran Short it's great too all mechanical especially the anti double load and even device won't double load and the Brocock are fine but a bit overpriced for what you get but the RW and Pulsars are the best IMHO if you can afford to buy them.

I'll second the Regal. Although mine is .22, it's a great rifle and the new Revere with the side lever would be much easier to shoot from a bench, and it's available in a true left hand version. Also, I love my HW100BP-K. Shoots .177 Polymag Shorts at 968 fps and super accurate out to 48 yards. (my backyard limit) 14 shot count over the chrony = 968 ave. High of 972.9 / Low = 965.8 / ES = 7.1 / SD = 2.53 / 16.7 fpe with the Polys. I haven't tested it to see when it falls off the reg, I refill after 3 mags = 42 shots.

P8190047.1601420141.JPG
P9120026.1601420178.JPG

As a lefty, I think the RW is your best bet. It is truly ambidextrous including the ability to change the sidelever to either side. Also the resale will be higher if you ever decide to part with it.

I would recommend going with the HP for the same reason. As for power, absolutely get a Heliboard, you will be able to shoot it from sub 5 FPE all the way up to the max the gun is capable of. Some people are having great results with .177 at 100+ yards at some of the higher power levels.

Just 2 cents.

Reactions: Batman2
The .177 can be a very serious calibre for competition, but for backyard shooting I'm not seeing the need for a long barrel, and if you have several PCPs then why not a short barrel and shoot to 100 yards and have fun. Then get a longer barrel gun for the larger calibers and longer distances. Personally I don't see the .177 keeping the distance with a .30 caliber. Something to do with ballistic dynamics and all.

The Daystate Pulsar and the Wildcat 3 comes to mind for .177

Short barrel and 1-10 x optics makes a nice tidy package.

Another .02

The .177 can be a very serious calibre for competition, but for backyard shooting I'm not seeing the need for a long barrel, and if you have several PCPs then why not a short barrel and shoot to 100 yards and have fun. Then get a longer barrel gun for the larger calibers and longer distances. Personally I don't see the .177 keeping the distance with a .30 caliber. Something to do with ballistic dynamics and all.

The Daystate Pulsar and the Wildcat 3 comes to mind for .177

Short barrel and 1-10 x optics makes a nice tidy package.

Another .02

I agree on a much shorter package unless all you plan to do is sit on the bench all day long. Anyone watch Steve's (AEAC) vlog on the Red Wolf where he lifts the gun up and accidentally hits something on the ceiling with the barrel lol?

I've been shooting Steyr airguns for a little over 15 years. I'm happy with them.

- If you don't need a repeater, the LG110 is worth considering. Easy enough to switch between various power setting. The cocking mechanism can be switch over to the left side.

I've been curious about Daystate airguns for a while. The folks who have them all seem to be pretty happy. Issues are few and far between. If I was buying "now", the Redwolf would be interesting... Or I'd wait a bit for the Deltawolf to be out and about... since I don't own any bullpup 👲

I own several.177, they are all insanely accurate and in perfect conditions they are capable of outstanding groups out to 100M but don’t be drawn into chasing power, the tiny light .177 doesn’t do particularly well at high speeds, the faster you push them the more they are affected by wind drift and at distance crazy spirals within spirals. Also air consumption and noise will increase.

Pellet in the 7.5 - 8.5grn range work best between 770-840fps. This may sound extremely slow to the speed junkies but it’s all you need for making tiny holes in paper out to 50yards. My best ever 5 shot group from any airgun at any power was less than 1/2” CtC at 100mts with a Theoben mfr hooting AA Diablo field at 790fps.

Any top end pcp is capable but it easier to be accurate with a rifle rather than a bull pup.

I would look at RAW, steyr , daystate and Air Arms .

this is a 5 shot group outside with my mfr @35yards, the pellet in the middle is a .177

01B65BCE-26A1-4DEF-8E38-DB5362F88D38.1601660064.jpeg

and a 10 shot group at 25yards
598DA2B0-DBA6-4CA7-9F3D-CB97D0F89915.1601660119.jpeg