• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking around for a new high end scope.

What took you so long, Steve?!? 🤣

⭐ Oh, I am SO GLAD that someone is doing a review of it (as my location does not allow me to return stuff to the store if I don't like it).

⭐ And I am SO GLAD that someone I trust with scopes is doing the review.

⭐ And I am SO GLAD that you will be comparing it to Athlon scopes, that are scopes in my price range that I can somehow relate to. A comparison to a Swarowski or S&B would be largely meaningless to me personally.

I'm dead serious, too: This scope is at the very top(!!) of my list of over 150 airgun scopes, the specs that are important to me beat anything out there that I have researched.

Thanks, Steve. 😊

Matthias

Thanks for the vote of confidence Matthias. I will be honest too. I'm headed out to the shop to mount it right now and then put some lead down range today.

You have a good memory as I did mention I liked this particular Vector scope specs a couple times here and there on AGN and I think it was here in our optics forum I first read about it. Might have been you that first posted about it???

Steve,
my memory has as many holes as the barrel centering ring of an RTI Prophet.... 🤦‍♂️
I... didn't remember. But I value your opinion highly.

I do remember YoDoyle saying something negative about the Continental.
And I saw literally NO-ONE buying, reviewing, or selling it....
So, I didn’t take the risky plunge, since my location prevents me from simply sending it back if I'm not satisfied.

Your pending review made me pass up a US Optics 2.5-20x50 FFP MIL for $550 used (mrsp 1500), just an hour ago. 🙄 — I don’t have the money to buy stuff just because the price is spectacularly low....
—> This would have been in lieu of the Helos 4-20x50.... But I'm hoping for a $400-used price eventually.....

I'm a scope nut.... How did I become that way, in just a couple of years?!? 🤦‍♂️

Matthias

Last edited:
I got my Athlon Helos 6x24-56 G2 for 430. $ it was a new scope but open box, Oh had to pay tax on it not sure why I bought it out of Texas, So total came to $ 460
Found it on Ebay. But googled Athlon scopes on sale..
08-26-22oops that came to 530 and total was 560 , So my math is not so good...
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
I own Nightforce, Sightron, Athlon, Element Optics and many more. Nightforce only focuses down to 25 yards (plenty close for powder burners) and has great glass. Athlon works well, focuses down to 10 yards, but glass not so good (milky looking at high magnification). Element is pretty low budget if you want bench rest. My money is on Sightron — the ones with ED glass (Extra Low Dispersion). They are super clear and focus down to 10 yards. I have the 45x45 benchrest non-zoom with ED glass. I was able to pick up from Grafs on sale for under a thousand.

Because you asked for high end. I kind of like this suggestion here and I’ll add some since I’ve owned quite a few of them.

Athlon for below this price to start. I do like Athlon a lot and have tried many of their models. I do like the ones below these in price some, but the Cronus is one of my most favorites of all scopes.

Athlon ETR - I don’t think it is worth the money honestly. For the price $1000 new (often little less), I would much rather buy a used Cronus. It is a nice scope, but I don’t think you get much more from the price.

Athlon Cronus - One of my favorite scopes, mostly for bang for the buck. For the quality you get, it is as good as some or close enough, but less expensive. $1350 new and used between $900 (Gen 1 which I love), BTR Gen 1 $950-1100, BTR Gen2 $1150-1250.

Vortex Razr Gen2 - now $1400, but would rather have the Cronus and still save some money. Would be tempted. Further side focus.

Nightforce NX8 - Only if size and weight are most important as it is much smaller and MUCH lighter than the ones above. Not worth the extra price to me.

Kahles 6-24 - I have wanted to try it, because my 10-50 is probably my other most favorite scope. But in this category, it is hard to spend that much.

Nightforce ATACR - One of the absolute best scopes I’ve owned, but Only if I need 1 scope only. I would rather save and get a Cronus.

Vortex Razr GenIII - I want to try, but I would just buy an ATACR.

Minox and March have heard wonderful things, but I can’t bring myself to spend that much again.

S&B - owned a 10-50FFP, and want impressed for that price. That is why I won’t spend that much on FFP any more. I would rather buy several Cronus scopes.

ZCO and TT are often touted as amazing, but I would need lots of money on the line and shoot for a living to go that high.

10A28211-D068-4874-8B34-6D7FC2061850.jpeg

Seems to be some kind of hold up on the RTI compact in 22 caliber, I bought a ARKEN EP5 @ 5x25-56 FFP got a super deal on it just sitting on the self as its going to be mounted on my RTI Compact 22 , I got a couple of the 34mm tube Helos from Athlon and love the glass, So that makes me with four 34 MM scopes I guess I am on a roll.
I no I missed the wagon on the light weight scopes .
But I see the light, LOL,
Mike

Just my two cents but if you are looking at the Gen 2 Razor, just get the Ares ETR and save yourself $700. The quality differences between the two are very slight and not worth the extra $$ in my opinion.
Sf57,
If you don’t mind me asking a few questions, here they are:
1. What is the difference between the Ares ETR and the BTR series?
2. Would you say the same thing about the BTR series next to the Gen 2 Razor?
3. What do you think about the Razor LHT series?
I am looking at the Ares and the Razor LHT (and the Nexus).
Thank you. S7

Last edited:
I gotcha. When you said "Looking down your nose" in your first comment I thought you were implying that I was being condescending. I may have gone a bit on the defensive from that point on. Looking back at it, I may have read too much into your comment. Sorry 😞

I do agree with your point though. I think we can all think about when we first got into the hobby and our original reactions to buying gear. I remembered having to convince myself that spending $150 on a "high end UTG Swat" was a good investment. While it was definitely a good investment (its still kicking after years of abuse on a Gamo Magnum) my idea of high end has completely transformed over the years.
After reading all the above posts, I appreciate the ‘peaceful’ concluding remarks on the “high-end” issue and the clarifications overall. I think there’s a via media or mediating position, and this has been suggested, if I recollect. ‘High end’ is a relative price range to many, but once someone is well acquainted with the fuller spectrum of scope options, the modifier does tend to take on a more definite—if not absolute—and objective nuance. Perhaps a spectrum remains, but it is a restricted spectrum. Sf57’s experience reminds me of my first scope, which was only purchased about 18 months ago—a Hawke Vantage. I then thought that $230.00 was a decent piece of change to toss out for glass for my new Marauder. And I remember when Matt Dubber (and others) called the Element Helix an “entry-level” or “budget” scope. I didn’t get that. Now I do. My recent peerings are for something like the Nexus, the Razor LHT, one of the Ares, a Steiner, and so on. I am still quite new to airguns, but my acclimation period is moving along. Thanks for listening. S7

Last edited:
If we all shot the same thing, maybe this would apply.

Each of us could be shooting for different levels of accuracy/precision. If someone is happy with 5MOA accuracy, maybe it would hold that we could all be fine with cheap scopes. For some of us, the repeatability of turrets is very important. There are many cheap scopes that perfectly fine unless you are a turret turner and then that scope might not last. Check out some of the scope reviews on scope websites and some of the reports on turret repeatability. Then you will see why so many in the PRS style game use high end optics.

If we all had the same eyes, it might not matter either. There are scopes that some people love that my eyes don’t like, and vice versa. Another thing I have seen is with the diopter settings. I can’t get some scope reticles in focus across the range, no matter the setup. There are many optical reasons that make people choose different scope, based on what their eyes prefer.

I could go on and on, but I think we all get why we all don’t drive Chevy Chevettes when they can get us from point A to point B.

For the people that still haven’t read al the posts, please note that the OP later posted a price point of $800.
Okay, regarding the $800 range as the point of departure for this thread, is there a reason no one mentions either of the two Titans? Is it the weight? Or am I still too swayed by Dubber and crew? I partly want to buy the lighter Titan just to look through it myself. (By the way, Dubber himself says that one may find the glass on the Titan as good or a tad better [or brighter?] than that of the Nexus at most magnifications.) In fact, I wish I could look through several of the Athons, the Nexus, the LHT Razor, and so on, and then look through some of the higher-end scopes. But I don’t want to digress further on this thread. Thanks. S7

Last edited:
...... In fact, I wish I could look through several of the Athons, the Nexus, the LHT Razor, and so on, and then look through some of the higher-end scopes. .......
Great point. When given the opportunity to look through two scopes side by side, in the same conditions, jump on it! There's no better way to compare them. Having looked through X scope at one point, even only a few weeks ago, and then later looking through another scope and trying to make comparisons is tough.

Reactions: Sanctify7
My March scope is stellar.

I have been VERY fortunate with all my vortex. The one problem I did have was a shifting POI, and turns our I crushed it the tube overtihhtening and vortex happily replaced it FREE for me because if their VIP warrantee. Can't recommend them enough. I have over 6 vortex on airguns and firearms. Not top tier by any means, but clear as heck, bright, no aberration at "normal" hunting/pesting/plinking airgun distances.
Which Vortexes are you using, may I ask? I am looking at the Razor LHT in particular. Thanks. S7

Okay, regarding the $800 range as the point of departure for this thread, is there a reason no one mentions either of the two Titans? Is it the weight? Or am I still too swayed by Dubber and crew? I partly want to buy the lighter Titan just to look through it myself. (By the way, Dubber himself says that one may find the glass on the Titan as good or a tad better [or brighter?] than that of the Nexus at most magnifications.) In fact, I wish I could look through several of the Athons, the Nexus, the LHT Razor, and so on, and then look through some of the higher-end scopes. But I don’t want to digress further on this thread. Thanks. S7
I have not used a Titan, but it is one I previously wanted to try. I have only been able to read what others have said and talk to someone who I sometimes agree with on scopes, including the people without skin in the game. Based on the reviews and the price, it is one that I have been happy to skip. At that price point, the reviews, and other scopes in the price point, I have not been willing to spend that much on that particular scope when I don’t think it brings anything extra to the table over very similar scopes at that price.

As far as looking through many scopes… you can… Buy used, and try them out and resell them if you don’t like them. I have done that for years, and been able to try out many, many scopes.

Reactions: Sanctify7
Which Vortexes are you using, may I ask? I am looking at the Razor LHT in particular. Thanks. S7
The vortex I own are lower end. My first scope acquisition was a vortex diamondback and I won't complain for the price and product support...it obviously does not hold a candle to my higher end scopes such as my march.

I have not used a Titan, but it is one I previously wanted to try. I have only been able to read what others have said and talk to someone who I sometimes agree with on scopes, including the people without skin in the game. Based on the reviews and the price, it is one that I have been happy to skip. At that price point, the reviews, and other scopes in the price point, I have not been willing to spend that much on that particular scope when I don’t think it brings anything extra to the table over very similar scopes at that price.

As far as looking through many scopes… you can… Buy used, and try them out and resell them if you don’t like them. I have done that for years, and been able to try out many, many scopes.
Okay, Smok3y.
I am thinking about doing something like what you suggest. Since I am not around any airgun folks as far as I know, the only other options are buy new and send back if disappointed or remain in the dark. If you have not previously said, what scopes in the Titan price range are you thinking of? Thanks. S7

The vortex I own are lower end. My first scope acquisition was a vortex diamondback and I won't complain for the price and product support...it obviously does not hold a candle to my higher end scopes such as my march.
I copy, Glenroiland. I have heard only good about March scopes, which I did not know existed about one month ago. Are there any in the March line that are on the lighter side and parallax down to 10yards? It's remarks such as "does not hold a candle" and the like that keeps intriguing me. Thanks. S7

It is tough not being around others. I was like that for many years.

At that price range or actually cheaper for nearly the same optics… my first thoughts are Athlon Ares BTR or Midas Tac. Haven’t tried the Midas Tac in 5-25, but like the 6-24 a lot! Never tried the 5-25 because it was so much more expensive. The Arken 5-25 has them beat on price and I don’t think is any less scope. Specs you are looking for really start to differentiate them besides price.

If I were going to spend $800 though, and quality mattered most, I might would suggest picking up the Ares ETR used instead. I don’t like it at the new price though. That being said, I would still probably choose the Midas Tac or Arken and save money. Then I would only pay up to jump to a used Cronus Gen 1 or BTR Gen 1 for around $900.