Looking around for a new high end scope.

Awhile back I wanted a Nightforce. I saw a good deal on the NX8 during a sale and bought one. It was a nice scope no doubt. But for the price I was not impressed and listed it on the classified the same day. I then picked up the Athlon Ares APLR6 moa 3-18x50 it is a clear scope, I like the reticle better than any I have used. Reticles with all the dots look like bugs on my windshield. The only draw back is it is big and heavy. I can see me buying another. Now the other day I was down at AOA and took a Athlon Helos BTR gen 2 4-20x50 with the same reticle. as on my Ares. I am impressed with that scope. Now mind you I was holding it with my hands and that is a poor way to judge a scope. But I would like to try one.

I own Nightforce, Sightron, Athlon, Element Optics and many more. Nightforce only focuses down to 25 yards (plenty close for powder burners) and has great glass. Athlon works well, focuses down to 10 yards, but glass not so good (milky looking at high magnification). Element is pretty low budget if you want bench rest. My money is on Sightron — the ones with ED glass (Extra Low Dispersion). They are super clear and focus down to 10 yards. I have the 45x45 benchrest non-zoom with ED glass. I was able to pick up from Grafs on sale for under a thousand.

Awhile back I wanted a Nightforce. I saw a good deal on the NX8 during a sale and bought one. It was a nice scope no doubt. But for the price I was not impressed and listed it on the classified the same day. I then picked up the Athlon Ares APLR6 moa 3-18x50 it is a clear scope, I like the reticle better than any I have used. Reticles with all the dots look like bugs on my windshield. The only draw back is it is big and heavy. I can see me buying another. Now the other day I was down at AOA and took a Athlon Helos BTR gen 2 4-20x50 with the same reticle. as on my Ares. I am impressed with that scope. Now mind you I was holding it with my hands and that is a poor way to judge a scope. But I would like to try one.
I have two of the Argos BTR Gen2‘s with that reticle and feel the same way. I have a Redwolf that will be here this week and I need to decide which Athlon with the APLR6 reticle to get, I’m not even considering anything else.

$1000 range Athlon Ares ETR

$1500 range Athlon Cronus

$2000 range Vortex Razor Gen II, Nightforce NX8, Kahles K624

$2500-$3000 Vortex Razor Gen III,Nightforce ATACR, Minox ZP, March optics

$3500-$5000 ZCO, Schmidt & Bender, Tangent Theta, Zeiss LRP
Because you asked for high end. I kind of like this suggestion here and I’ll add some since I’ve owned quite a few of them.

Athlon for below this price to start. I do like Athlon a lot and have tried many of their models. I do like the ones below these in price some, but the Cronus is one of my most favorites of all scopes.

Athlon ETR - I don’t think it is worth the money honestly. For the price $1000 new (often little less), I would much rather buy a used Cronus. It is a nice scope, but I don’t think you get much more from the price.

Athlon Cronus - One of my favorite scopes, mostly for bang for the buck. For the quality you get, it is as good as some or close enough, but less expensive. $1350 new and used between $900 (Gen 1 which I love), BTR Gen 1 $950-1100, BTR Gen2 $1150-1250.

Vortex Razr Gen2 - now $1400, but would rather have the Cronus and still save some money. Would be tempted. Further side focus.

Nightforce NX8 - Only if size and weight are most important as it is much smaller and MUCH lighter than the ones above. Not worth the extra price to me.

Kahles 6-24 - I have wanted to try it, because my 10-50 is probably my other most favorite scope. But in this category, it is hard to spend that much.

Nightforce ATACR - One of the absolute best scopes I’ve owned, but Only if I need 1 scope only. I would rather save and get a Cronus.

Vortex Razr GenIII - I want to try, but I would just buy an ATACR.

Minox and March have heard wonderful things, but I can’t bring myself to spend that much again.

S&B - owned a 10-50FFP, and want impressed for that price. That is why I won’t spend that much on FFP any more. I would rather buy several Cronus scopes.

ZCO and TT are often touted as amazing, but I would need lots of money on the line and shoot for a living to go that high.

Such a wonderful problem to have. But a tier one rifle deserves tier one optics that run in the $2,500 range. From the financially challenged side I recommend the old model Athlon Talos BTR 4x14 on close out for $198 and free shipping. A junker compared to those listed above but if you’re on a Hatsan budget it’s a lot of scope for the money.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
If you don’t mind SFP scopes, you will be extremely pleased with either one of these below. That’s a smoking deal for these scopes..
1AA1EEB8-9235-4477-AD90-187757C365AF.png
171FCDCC-14BB-45BF-9BCD-A8C34CE08430.png