• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking around for a new high end scope.

What should’ve happened was the guy wanting info on the $500 and less scopes should’ve started his own thread instead of popping on this one where the OP specifically said he wanted input on high end. As soon as the $1200 to $1800 scopes were being suggested and the OP showed interest for more input within that cost range it was very clear that yes, he truly wants TOP TIER and has the budget for it.

This is a perfect example of where one should look at their budget and either start their own thread topic or piggy back on one similar to his budget.

If all I had was enough $$ to buy a Gamo urban, I WOULD NOT be participating or requesting about the Gamo on a thread discussion where someone needs assistance on wether to buy a Daystate DW, an Evol, or an entry level Thomas, as an example.

I’m one of those $600 and less scope guys, and under normal circumstances I would not have even posted on this thread.

Reactions: ThomasT
I can answer for me , I use scopes I collected threw the years which I used for ULR shooting so I had alot of good glass and when pcp airguns evolved I started putting my tier1 scopes on my pcp guns but for me I swap scopes from air guns to real guns , but since I love good glass and rarely get to go where I can shoot powder burners 1000plus yards , I tend to enjoy them on my airguns , I have better scopes then guns
LOU

Amazing glass and turrets that track 100% true are never a bad thing on anything. That being said, most of my scopes are in the $300 range, a few in the $800 range, and a couple over a grand. I can't justify spending much more than that unfortunately. If I was richer maybe, but as of right now I'm just a simple auto mechanic trying to play this game with the best equipment that I can afford.

Reactions: RedPhoenix
Why is everyone putting or wanting to put a 1k-5 rimfire scope on a airgun? Literally makes no sense! Respectfully IMO!!
For me personally, I shoot my airguns more than my powder burners. It makes sense for me to put quality glass on something I'll be looking through a lot and using. I've tried budget scopes and I've tried "high end", Tier 1 scopes. There's a big difference and I'm willing to shell out more for my satisfaction. I wouldn't say I'm rich. All my overtime money goes into airguns and optics. I've worked hard for it and I treat myself every now and then.

Sorry guys I mislead you a little,, My scope money stops at 800 dollars , And the Athlon is on six of my PCPs now , Good scope for the money,,Athlon BTR 6x24 -50.
Mike
That said, then the Athlon Midas-Tac or Helos are for you. They have the best optics in this price range and both focus down to 10 yards. Reticles are very nice too. Another you might consider is the Sightron S-Tac 4-20X50. Great optics, nice MOA-2 reticle and non-Chinese. Amazon has them for $299. I'm impressed with these.

Last edited:
For me personally, I shoot my airguns more than my powder burners. It makes sense for me to put quality glass on something I'll be looking through a lot and using. I've tried budget scopes and I've tried "high end", Tier 1 scopes. There's a big difference and I'm willing to shell out more for my satisfaction. I wouldn't say I'm rich. All my overtime money goes into airguns and optics. I've worked hard for it and I treat myself every now and then.
I understand the treating yourself no doubt, but we aren't shooting a mile either, barely shooting out to 100yds. Whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm just trying to make it make sense to me!

I understand the treating yourself no doubt, but we aren't shooting a mile either, barely shooting out to 100yds. Whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm just trying to make it make sense to me!
There's the confusion then. Some people are poking out to 300yds and beyond. Great glass definitely helps but the quality of the turrets is an even bigger factor at that range. You want 100% repeatability. It isn't a requirement obviously but it is nice to have the capability.

Reactions: SimpleGuy
There's the confusion then. Some people are poking out to 300yds and beyond. Great glass definitely helps but the quality of the turrets is an even bigger factor at that range. You want 100% repeatability. It isn't a requirement obviously but it is nice to have the capability.
Now I'll agree a do like nice turrets for sure!

For me, there's something about looking through quality glass that I enjoy and turrets that track true. Even though I shoot within airgun ranges, I still enjoy looking at objects further in the distance. I guess it does float my boat. It doesn't have to make sense to you. There's a budget and a level of quality for everyone to enjoy or be content with.

Sure miss ODOYLE and his scope deals,,, Any way just looking .
Got a new gun coming so just looking around.
Mike
I shoot benchrest, centerfield from 100 to 1000 yards. Clearest brightest scope I have ever shot is the Sightron SSVED. When everone is struggling and can't see 6mm bullets holes at 400 or 500 yds, My y5 year old eyes can 95 percent of the time. I have one on my 6BRX, tracks and holds POA 100 percent.

Why is everyone putting or wanting to put a 1k-5 rimfire scope on a airgun? Literally makes no sense! Respectfully IMO!!
If we all shot the same thing, maybe this would apply.

Each of us could be shooting for different levels of accuracy/precision. If someone is happy with 5MOA accuracy, maybe it would hold that we could all be fine with cheap scopes. For some of us, the repeatability of turrets is very important. There are many cheap scopes that perfectly fine unless you are a turret turner and then that scope might not last. Check out some of the scope reviews on scope websites and some of the reports on turret repeatability. Then you will see why so many in the PRS style game use high end optics.

If we all had the same eyes, it might not matter either. There are scopes that some people love that my eyes don’t like, and vice versa. Another thing I have seen is with the diopter settings. I can’t get some scope reticles in focus across the range, no matter the setup. There are many optical reasons that make people choose different scope, based on what their eyes prefer.

I could go on and on, but I think we all get why we all don’t drive Chevy Chevettes when they can get us from point A to point B.

For the people that still haven’t read al the posts, please note that the OP later posted a price point of $800.

I’ve never bought a $1,000 and up scope for my air rifles but if I could I would, even more so than I would on a high dollar powder burner. Me, I shoot my airguns way more than my PB, so I’m looking thru the glass a lot. I use to be a Bushnell and Tasco only guy early on, figuring it’s the weapon, not so much the glass, that does the job. Just let me see the center of a shoot and see target and I’m good to go.

Well, shoot n sees, I hardly use anymore cause they lie to me. The truth of how well you shoot shows on hard stock standard targets, that don’t splatter and hide the gap that shows your only shooting a 3/4” group at 40 yards and not pellet on pellet like a shoot n see shows. I thought I was a pretty good shot, using only shoot n see splatterburst targets, till Dave Larsen sent me some nice target stock samples. I shot approx 100 shots the day I used those targets, and realized quickly that I suck.

As I go further out, I need to see pellet holes, and now at 60 years old and dependent on glasses almost 24/7, good scope glass is a royal treat. The first time I looked thru an Athlon Helos I was like WOOOW!! Then recently a delta striker HD that Rangur1 loaned me for RMAC and I was like SUPER WOOOW!!! Yes, good glass is a treat, for sure, and just helps to see EXACTLY where you want that shot to go to

Last edited:
Odoyle is a very knowledgeable person and not afraid to express his opinion. A lot of doofusses here beat him up saying cruel things. I think he retreated into the shadows.

Odoyle/Yo is probably still around under yet another AKA. He was/is knowledgeable, but allegedly cheated several people and the scuttlebutt is that he is the reason why Crosman cancelled the 25% AGN discount code.

My personal opinion is that he is the epitome of a "con man".

confidence man

noun​

1. A man who swindles his victims by using a confidence game.
  2. Someone who conducts a confidence game: who defrauds someone after winning his trust.
  3. a swindler who exploits the confidence of his victim
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

Last edited:
No list of "high end" scopes would be complete without mentioning March Scopes.

I don't have a broad experience with high-end scopes, but I've got one March scope and it's lovely.
My March scope is stellar.

I have been VERY fortunate with all my vortex. The one problem I did have was a shifting POI, and turns our I crushed it the tube overtihhtening and vortex happily replaced it FREE for me because if their VIP warrantee. Can't recommend them enough. I have over 6 vortex on airguns and firearms. Not top tier by any means, but clear as heck, bright, no aberration at "normal" hunting/pesting/plinking airgun distances.

Reactions: jbird22cal
Odoyle/Yo is probably still around under yet another AKA. He was/is knowledgeable, but allegedly cheated several people and the scuttlebutt is that he is the reason why Crosman cancelled the 25% AGN discount code.

My personal opinion is that he is the epitome of a "con man".

confidence man

noun​

1. A man who swindles his victims by using a confidence game.
  2. Someone who conducts a confidence game: who defrauds someone after winning his trust.
  3. a swindler who exploits the confidence of his victim
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
All I can speak from is my experience. I sold him some stuff and the transaction went well.

Reactions: Mrshosted