• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking around for a new high end scope.

All you people are talking about optics that cost more then most of us can spend on a gun much less an optic. Pull the price range down to the 200 to 500 dollar range.
OP originally asked for high end scopes. $200-$500 may get you a decent optic, but it certainly isn't high end by any means.

OP has since changed his budget to $800, which has been what people have recommended since.

OP originally asked for high end scopes. $200-$500 may get you a decent optic, but it certainly isn't high end by any means.

OP has since changed his budget to $800, which has been what people have recommended since.
This entire thread is a perfect example of how "high end" is relative. One guy's high end, save-up-for-months equipment is another guy's bottom of the barrel, wouldn't be caught dead with it. There's folks from all walks of life and levels of financial means that enjoy airguns. No need for any of us to look down our nose at anybody else, nor to consider those with more pricey equipment than we can afford as looking down on us from on high.

Nobody's looking their nose down on anybody here. There are tons of great optics in OPs price range BUT high end is still high end. It isn't really relative at all. If someone asks about high end PCPs do you recommend an Avenger? No, you recommend a Taipan, M3, Leshiy, Delta Wolf, etc. Not because the Avenger isn't a good gun (it is) but because it doesn't fit the definition of "high end".

Recommendations were appropriately made based on the question at hand. Had the post originally said "Looking for a quality optic under $800" this thread would have gone a completely different direction from the start. It didn't though. It asked for high end optics. The high end of the optics game is a few thousand dollars unfortunately.

Reactions: Hoffman9517
Nobody's looking their nose down on anybody here. There are tons of great optics in OPs price range BUT high end is still high end. It isn't really relative at all. If someone asks about high end PCPs do you recommend an Avenger? No, you recommend a Taipan, M3, Leshiy, Delta Wolf, etc. Not because the Avenger isn't a good gun (it is) but because it doesn't fit the definition of "high end".

Recommendations were appropriately made based on the question at hand. Had the post originally said "Looking for a quality optic under $800" this thread would have gone a completely different direction from the start. It didn't though. It asked for high end optics. The high end of the optics game is a few thousand dollars unfortunately.
You obviously missed the point I was trying to make.

You obviously missed the point I was trying to make.
I promise you I didn't. "Not everyone is working with the same budget" isn't exactly a profound point to make. We all understand that already which is why when OP amended his question, people started amending their answers. Not once on this thread has a single person turned their nose up to OP.

My response to that other commenter (which you may be referring to here?) wasn't me turning my nose up at him either. I was only trying to explain the confusion that seemed to have taken place here.

All you people are talking about optics that cost more then most of us can spend on a gun much less an optic. Pull the price range down to the 200 to 500 dollar range.
Agreed with the above response by sqwirlfugger57. This thread started without a budget and asked for high end. Now that we know the budget we can chime in more effectively for the OP.

I wasn't trying to make any profound point.
Just noting how it's interesting that everyone has their own idea of "high end," as evidenced by the varying responses.

I agree with you fully that an absolute spectrum of low and high end exists ($$$). My point was that there is also a relative spectrum of what each of us consider high end vs low end.

I gotcha. When you said "Looking down your nose" in your first comment I thought you were implying that I was being condescending. I may have gone a bit on the defensive from that point on. Looking back at it, I may have read too much into your comment. Sorry 😞

I do agree with your point though. I think we can all think about when we first got into the hobby and our original reactions to buying gear. I remembered having to convince myself that spending $150 on a "high end UTG Swat" was a good investment. While it was definitely a good investment (its still kicking after years of abuse on a Gamo Magnum) my idea of high end has completely transformed over the years.

Because you asked for high end. I kind of like this suggestion here and I’ll add some since I’ve owned quite a few of them.

Athlon for below this price to start. I do like Athlon a lot and have tried many of their models. I do like the ones below these in price some, but the Cronus is one of my most favorites of all scopes.

Athlon ETR - I don’t think it is worth the money honestly. For the price $1000 new (often little less), I would much rather buy a used Cronus. It is a nice scope, but I don’t think you get much more from the price.

Athlon Cronus - One of my favorite scopes, mostly for bang for the buck. For the quality you get, it is as good as some or close enough, but less expensive. $1350 new and used between $900 (Gen 1 which I love), BTR Gen 1 $950-1100, BTR Gen2 $1150-1250.

Vortex Razr Gen2 - now $1400, but would rather have the Cronus and still save some money. Would be tempted. Further side focus.

Nightforce NX8 - Only if size and weight are most important as it is much smaller and MUCH lighter than the ones above. Not worth the extra price to me.

Kahles 6-24 - I have wanted to try it, because my 10-50 is probably my other most favorite scope. But in this category, it is hard to spend that much.

Nightforce ATACR - One of the absolute best scopes I’ve owned, but Only if I need 1 scope only. I would rather save and get a Cronus.

Vortex Razr GenIII - I want to try, but I would just buy an ATACR.

Minox and March have heard wonderful things, but I can’t bring myself to spend that much again.

S&B - owned a 10-50FFP, and want impressed for that price. That is why I won’t spend that much on FFP any more. I would rather buy several Cronus scopes.

ZCO and TT are often touted as amazing, but I would need lots of money on the line and shoot for a living to go that high.
My sentiments almost exactly. Darn hard to spend literally thousands more for tier 1 scopes when IMHO the Cronus G2 is only a few percentage points behind them in a few aspects. I have two of them. A few tier 1's as well which I suppose I'll just keep.

The last couple years I sold all my Athlon G1 scopes which were quite a few. That put me in a situation of switching scopes around to different rifles which has been a hassle that needs fixing.

I just sold my USFT so I'm buying a few more scopes with the money. Athlon's but not sure which ones yet and at least one must focus down to 10Y. Probably get another G2 Helos 6-24x56, a Midas TAC 5-25x56, and a few Argos G2 6-24x50's.

I have owned all scope brands out there and here is what I like best , Now you leaning to hi end so
1 ZCO 4X20 GREAT SCOPE GLASS SUPERB great reticles 36mm tube
2 .Schmidt bender I like 5x25 5x45 and 3x27 PM2 great scopes 34mm
3.Tangent theta , i got 3x15 great scope
4. swarovski z-8 series , I own a 2.3x18 my only sfp scope , great glass
all spot on turrets and great light gathering but all very expensive but the best out there

now mid line
5. IOR 35mm tube I own a 3.5x18 great scope clear wide field of view , heavy scope for a pcp
6 vortex razor 3 1-10 great optic true 1x
7. stiener 5-25
8 vortex razor 2 3x18 great unit but heavy for a pcp gun 34mm

sightron great as well for mid to lower priced alot of deals around
bushnell is another good optic owned many different models
lower priced
swfa 3x15 good hunting optic simple reticle durable

I just received a ETR 4.5 x 30 x56 I really liked the scope..I wanted to se for my self it was that much better than my arken ep5 .. keep in mind that if there was a really noticeable difference for our use my next scope would have been 2k+ but it didn't, I could really see some difference pass 600y .. in reality how many of the people in this forum have 600y + to really justify such a Spence .. if you are not shooting 600y + is simply a waste of money , that you could have spended in another gun .. I could easily focus a soda can at 600y with the ep5 .. for $560 if you have the money to go for it awesome.. but does it really will Goin do something better than the one you are using now? Unless you are using a 3x9 I really don't think so .. i dont se any gain in spending more $800 for our 200y + shoots .. I use $800 parting of buying a realy good Hawke scope , that will be a lighter option than the ep5 .

The thing I dislike about Athlon’s(I still have 2) and including the Cronus is the long eye relief and the tight eyebox. I strictly run Gen II Razors on my match 22 and match centerfire guns but have 2 Helos BTR Gen II’s I use on my springers. Figure out what’s really important for you then look at what’s available in your price range.

Such a wonderful problem to have. But a tier one rifle deserves tier one optics that run in the $2,500 range.
Yes, and no.

Yes it’s true that in some situations, it’s unfortunate to use sights that might compromise the performance of the system.

No I don’t think it matters for many shooters. If you hunt or do pest control but won’t tear your hair out if you miss a shot in low light or high mirage, maybe save a couple grand. If you compete but only casually, maybe you don’t mind missing some points and save a couple grand. If you don’t know what you want, then maybe a midrange optic is ideal until you get to know the platform and the things that matter to you.

As for the budget question, it is an honest mistake but technically misleading to have a budget of $800 but request info on “high end” when the high end really is measured in thousands of dollars. Not looking down on that budget at all myself, I have just a couple scopes above that price and a large number in the $500-800 range. But I haven’t been using them on airguns so I don’t have a specific recommendation to add.

David

Last edited: