Look at what the post office did!

I've been shipping airguns back and forth since 2008 when I really got back into the sport and I guess I've been lucky! But looks like my luck ran out....and it sounds like they're going to be a real pain in my XXXX about getting it resolved. The guy I sent it to did not open the package which is a good thing and its being returned to me the way he received it ! When it comes back to me I'm taking it to the post office and open it in front of them...also the only way to make a claim is online....really! That's some XXXX poor and chicken XXXX customer service if you ask me. $750 is nothing to sneeze at!

Sorry for my rant but I'm pretty PO!!!

James from Michigan, 

1562353857_6891903525d1fa0c1ac1020.91997008_20190704_125511.jpg
1562353858_18581778455d1fa0c2cf7224.80117522_20190704_114633.jpg
1562353860_4904025015d1fa0c47b7e50.22006460_20190704_113641.jpg
1562353861_12324388295d1fa0c5ab6f12.15996623_20190704_113625.jpg

Mod Edit: 3 Laws Moderator 3

The guy I sent it to did not open the package which is a good thing and its being returned to me the way he received it ! When it comes back to me I'm taking it to the post office and open it in front of them..

Gotta wonder, why didn't the receiver just open is at his post office? If everything was OK then it could have saved a bunch of time in him getting it. Or if not OK then he sends you pics of the damage.

The guy I sent it to did not open the package which is a good thing and its being returned to me the way he received it ! When it comes back to me I'm taking it to the post office and open it in front of them..

Gotta wonder, why didn't the receiver just open is at his post office? If everything was OK then it could have saved a bunch of time in him getting it. Or if not OK then he sends you pics of the damage.

They told him any claim has to be made by the sender and if he would have opened it ...it becomes his and because he accepted it there not liable...little lesson there I didn't realize!

So sorry to see this I hope your experience is better than mine. I had a bsa super ten mk3 look about like this except mine was on one end at the butt stock. It was in styrofoam double boxed and still got tore up. Went to the post office talked to the girl that worked there and the post master at the time, the girl said she knew the box was damaged and the carrier left with it. Went online and filled everything out a week or so went by they contacted me needing some form from the post office. Asked the post master for the form she gave it to me and changed her story then that the box wasnt damaged and i must have done it. Long story short in the end my claim was denied and I was stuck with the damage and repairs. Not the only horror story about my post office.

This year I had a HW35e sent to me and the box was mangled pretty bad so it was returned to the tuner as “undeliverable “. This caused Scott aka Moterhead nothing but headaches as the brand new walnut stock was broken half. Since he was the shipper , it was on him to fight for the claim. Finally it was resolved due to his efforts. I totally owe him a bucket of beer.

I hope your ending is as good.

Mitch

They told him any claim has to be made by the sender and if he would have opened it ...it becomes his and because he accepted it there not liable...little lesson there I didn't realize!

This is NOT true so maybe "they" had no clue about the process. The sender does have to file though. Good Luck with the claim. Make sure you request to be reimbursed for the original postage you paid, since the item is being returned to you they might fight paying that to you.

EDIT to add - you can also file claim by mail (on-line is not the only way) - Call 1-800-332-0317, extension 9, and request a Domestic Claim PS Form.

Overall, USPS has been the best shipper for me, but I will say that they lost a $2k shipment of mine. Clearly went through 2 post office facilities.... never showed at the final destination which was a PO box on site at a post office. Their custody from the time of shipping, fully insured. And they don't care.... just keep asking for proofe. Really, receipt and in their hands the whole way....6 months no new info. I've shipped a TON of stuff, only this one issue but it happened to be pricey one.

FedEx insurance is outright fraud, UPS makes it slow and really really annoying to make a claim, and USPS' generally it is easier to not bother insurance-wise. My recommendation, to you or anyone else, is to use a third party insurer when shipping things. I have, unfortunately, shipped enough things that I've had to make claims through all the aforementioned, and often times once you find out the "rules" necessary to make a claim you realize that it is absolutely ridiculous. FedEx for example requires that you have photographed the package on all six sides BEFORE opening it in order to make a claim. 

The reason I'd recommend a 3rd party insurer is that they have always been the easiest to work with, the most prompt, courteous, and reasonable. In almost two decades of playing this game now, I've never had my preferred 3rd party insurer deny a claim. For them, the business is selling insurance not selling some sort of fraudulent gravy to their primary product (shipping). After all, you have to go out of your way to purchase their insurance, so if it is useless you'll never be stupid enough to use it. The prices are also much much better, again because it can't function as a con it has to function as a good competitive insurance product. 

I realize this isn't helpful to you (OP) and I'm very sorry to see the outrageous damage that was done. Looking at it, it looks like the package got caught in automated sorting equipment. I've gotten orders back mangled that badly or worse. The worst I've ever gotten back was, literally, just the label physically cut off the package mailed back to me in an envelope saying "whoops, so sorry we f***ed up, if you fill out this paperwork 8 months later we'll tell you that you're SOL and can go f*** yourself." (yes I filled out the paperwork and waited, just for hilarity) 

Once again my condolences. Nobody wins when the carrier screws up. I wish you all the best when resolving it. :) Also photograph, or better yet video, EVERYTHING. 

FedEx insurance is outright fraud, UPS makes it slow and really really annoying to make a claim, and USPS' generally it is easier to not bother insurance-wise. My recommendation, to you or anyone else, is to use a third party insurer when shipping things. I have, unfortunately, shipped enough things that I've had to make claims through all the aforementioned, and often times once you find out the "rules" necessary to make a claim you realize that it is absolutely ridiculous. FedEx for example requires that you have photographed the package on all six sides BEFORE opening it in order to make a claim. 

The reason I'd recommend a 3rd party insurer is that they have always been the easiest to work with, the most prompt, courteous, and reasonable. In almost two decades of playing this game now, I've never had my preferred 3rd party insurer deny a claim. For them, the business is selling insurance not selling some sort of fraudulent gravy to their primary product (shipping). After all, you have to go out of your way to purchase their insurance, so if it is useless you'll never be stupid enough to use it. The prices are also much much better, again because it can't function as a con it has to function as a good competitive insurance product. 

I realize this isn't helpful to you (OP) and I'm very sorry to see the outrageous damage that was done. Looking at it, it looks like the package got caught in automated sorting equipment. I've gotten orders back mangled that badly or worse. The worst I've ever gotten back was, literally, just the label physically cut off the package mailed back to me in an envelope saying "whoops, so sorry we f***ed up, if you fill out this paperwork 8 months later we'll tell you that you're SOL and can go f*** yourself." (yes I filled out the paperwork and waited, just for hilarity) 

Once again my condolences. Nobody wins when the carrier screws up. I wish you all the best when resolving it. :) Also photograph, or better yet video, EVERYTHING.

Thanks for that info could help some of us, who is your 3rd party insurer?

I refuse to use USPS for this reason sorry for your loss.

You're gonna have a LOTTA hoops to jump through. I suggest you make it obvious you're writing down the name of EVERY person you deal with. That makes each person less likely to think they can get away with jacking with you, as it removes the cloak of anonymity that GUARANTEES they will (each) jack with you. It's called "taking names and kicking ass!" Good luck.

did you put FRAGILE on the package was it double boxed, did you build a shipping box using glue instead of tape

make it indestructible and it might have a chance with any shipper but not always

so the box looks like crap so what do the contents look like

I have been told that putting "Fragile" on a package is no real guarantee of anything with USPS.

I will say that I have always had very good luck with USPS, UPS, as well as Fedex. It might be a factor of where I live too, but generally speaking all of my packages are usually on-time or ahead of time delivered. The only time I ever had a package with damage was from China (half the items were missing when it arrived). I can't tell if it happened in China or if it happened in U.S. Customs (Customs were the ones who labeled it as "damaged."

PT