• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Look at my 100 yard accuracy!

Just look how accurate my .22 cal airgun is with jsb 18g in a slight evening breeze. 5 shot group at 100yards😃

1588120089_17183443205ea8ca1965f772.66772926.jpg

Oh wait😣...

1588120162_9770969875ea8ca62c7b925.60611956.jpg

Same hold point by the way😒

Maybe less of the former, and more of the latter? Lol

Thanks for the inquiry, but the rifle isn't important. What's important is that it wasn't TRUE accuracy, just luck. I was trying to demonstrate(in a good-hearted way) that if anyone had enough pellets and time(or was just lucky with their 1st group), they could post a pic like that and send everyone into a tizzy(I've seen a lot of that on here).

That was the best group, which came on the 2nd of 4 splatterburst 15 target sheets I shot this evening. If you superimposed all the targets, the airgun(and I) would have demonstrated a 60 shot group of about 2.75" ctc, which isn't anything to brag about. Especially in little to no wind and not under competition pressure. Saturday I shot the same rifle and had "pie plate" accuracy.

Some do, but I would hope more people would share the "backstory" around their accuracy pics to give everyone a more complete idea of airgun capabilities with particular setups.

When I find a setup that is consistently/predictably close to being that accurate, I will be proud to post it. Until then, I'm like most of the good people on Airgun Nation just "chasing zero". Lol

Your calipers don’t look like they’re really measuring center to center. It would appear that group is more than an inch. Not .6.

Below, top picture, are some groups I shot on Saturday, “by accident”. I was holding on the same point of impact every time. But only because I was testing pellets. These groups look to be about the size of your group I think. 

Below that was a group I shot later in the day. It was right around .9 inch. It was the best group of the day. I posted that one also, because it was a great 177 group at 100 yds.

mike

1588128797_15741034375ea8ec1d7ad125.74340007.jpeg
1588128798_3426268625ea8ec1e6947f8.85136431.jpeg

Flintsack,

Not meant to be accurate at all. That wasn't really the point. That one (meaningless) good group out all the other not so good groups was the point. If I wanted to measure groups I wouldn't use messy splatter paper anyway. Lol

You, however, have really done something if you have those multiple groups of .177s that tight at 100 yards. That's amazing!

Yes this is the reality. I would love to see members post all groups of a 100 yard or further sessions not just one the best. I had vulcan gen 4. 25 with which I did 6 shoots in light wind and rain at 105 yards from inside of car that measured exactly half inch. I was amazed. But I did not duplicate that group never again. Some were around inch but most 1.5 inch five shoot groups. 

This is my new Impact mk2 shooting at 102 yards with JSB redesigned monster. 22.It was only group I did because I was in a hurry. 5 shoots from 102 yards.Shooting from inside of car. 4 shoots were under inch and one flyer or my mistake. 
1588140320_19005012375ea91920177992.94119279.jpg

Thanks for the inquiry, but the rifle isn't important. What's important is that it wasn't TRUE accuracy, just luck. I was trying to demonstrate(in a good-hearted way) that if anyone had enough pellets and time(or was just lucky with their 1st group), they could post a pic like that and send everyone into a tizzy(I've seen a lot of that on here).

That was the best group, which came on the 2nd of 4 splatterburst 15 target sheets I shot this evening. If you superimposed all the targets, the airgun(and I) would have demonstrated a 60 shot group of about 2.75" ctc, which isn't anything to brag about. Especially in little to no wind and not under competition pressure. Saturday I shot the same rifle and had "pie plate" accuracy.

Some do, but I would hope more people would share the "backstory" around their accuracy pics to give everyone a more complete idea of airgun capabilities with particular setups.

Good post, and good points. This follows what I’ve been discussing for quite some time. Shooting and posting a series of groups on the same card will show the gun’s potential and also the shooters ability. 

Ghostranger169, Allow me to suggest something that will show your gun’s potential and also make you a better shooter. Instead of following the herd and laying down group after group, shoot multiple targets for score. This will benefit your skills much better than just laying down groups... Groups are for tuning your gun or trying new ammo. Once that’s done there is no longer any point to it.
Mike

I’m the guiltiest one on the forum for posting the dream group picture with no other groups from the session! I was so proud of it, still am! But I completely agree that it’s not an accurate complete picture. Here’s the dream group I shot, five shots at 130 yards. And two more full magazine groups on the same piece of steel. And since I don’t have a picture of all the attempts, I drew how they look so you know how bad most of my groups really are. And the steel is covered with hundreds of bad groups, I even abandon a group if it has no chance of being a dream group. Just fun, but actually I think it’s teaching me bad shooting habits. I’d take a picture, but it’s up a tick infested hill! You can tell by the full magazine groups that the rifle is capable of doing it again. But if I ever do it again I’ll still know that it’s luck. I can’t wait until I get to shoot level, it’s hard to shoot uphill on stacks of bags! I just can’t keep everything still enough to do everything the same way for every shot. I’m always very humbled by my results on paper. No way ready for any competition where all the shots count lol. 
1588168338_19639934685ea98692324e75.99686004.jpeg
1588168338_399988805ea98692a01fd2.93751286.jpeg
1588168340_17101592265ea986940bc3a4.08502147.jpeg
1588168341_18245739655ea986957c3435.01713937.jpeg
1588168342_16333510595ea98696d14049.04079390.jpeg
Great post Ghostranger 169.

Centercut, 

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I have a .22 Edgun Lelya 2.0, a .25 Fx Wildcat, and a .22 FX Crown Continuum. I am in full scale "research" on all of them on what capabilities they have with different setups and what pellets/slugs are consistent under which conditions. I am gathering(and analyzing) a lot of data from each. I still have a incomplete subsets of data to make a statitistically relevent evaluation(yes I'm a science nerd, Lol). As I collect data there are some tends that I have discovered- it is almost impossible to minimize ALL the variables AND there is so much that: 1) I don't know 2) haven't actually verified 3) may be unknowable/verifiable.

Funny thing, after I shot 100yd last night, I shot a few cards for score at 50yds with the same rifle in zero wind. Here's what I got:

1588178271_4042980295ea9ad5f0f2f67.16228987.jpg

Not nearly as impressive as that 1st 100yd group, eh? Lol I try to make it a point to never LOOK while I'm shooting, instead just focus on the mechanics of "follow through", breathing, and aquiring the next target. When I actually did look, I was surprised that I had so few close to the dot because they all felt like really good smooth shots:(

Oh well, none of these obstacles deter me on my quest to be the best I can be with the equipment I have at hand. Nor will it diminish my enjoyment of the sport. 

My backyard range-

1588178849_15200727635ea9afa1a337e0.41630863.jpg

Gongs on the left side, target stands on the right out to 150yds.

I only wish there was an airgun club closer than 3 hours away:(

First off, that may be the most incredible home range I’ve ever seen. Who needs a gun club?

Second thing, I only see one Thing that I can tell is a wind flag in your picture. That little fluorescent thing tied to your telephone pole wire. I would tie those to every target frame and every stand you have out there.

I believe you on the follow through. I’m questioning the accuracy of that rifle with those pellets at that velocity. If it was truly calm, you should be seeing much better results.

have you tried 15.9 grain pellets? Other brands? Not sure of your velocity, but most pellets shoot best around 890 ft./s. The exception would be the really high powered rifle’s, shooting the really heavy pellets (like CCs rifle).

clean barrel? Can you see the pellets in flight, do they go straight, or are they spiraling?

mike

Mike,

Thanks for the compliment on the range. Did I mention it's lighted so I can shoot at night(least wind)?

1588187191_11862800605ea9d03767cef2.20150153.jpg

I have a background in competitive shotgun shooting(mainly sporting clays and skeet) so I had made a lighted 5 stand to practice on in the field behind my house. Since I have gotten back into airguns, I decided to make one for airguns in my back yard too. Lots of stuff on order(more pellets, targets, wind socks and spinners, etc.). Also have access to a 55yd warehouse at work(no wind).

I have a .22 Edgun Lelya, and a .25 FX Wildcat, but right now, I am working on my .22 Crown Continuum(trying different pellets/slugs at different valve, hammer spring, and reg settings), 380mm vs 700mm barrels at different speeds, learning barrel cleaning frequencies, etc. So there's a lot to "wade thru" to learn what affects what as it relates to accuracy in different conditions. 

I wasn't really posting any of those targets for inspection, but I did notice spiraling on the some 100yd shots(more at some speed than others) and I suspect spiraling would be the culprit for loose groups at 50 that didn't get that much worse at 100? Yet to be proved tho. 

I also noticed that when I shot the 15.89 jsb at an insane 1100fps, they grouped much tighter at 100 yards. Wind moved them easily, but they all ended up hitting close together. 50yard accuracy wasn't that great tho. That being said, these are just preliminary observations.

I'm looking forward to Steve's complete AEAC review(probably Friday?) on the .22 Crown Continuum to learn if there is any commonality help to limit some of the variables I'm juggling and maybe steer me in some helpful directions. 

Thanks for your input, Phil

Lol lights!

A half a dozen years ago I was trying to shoot my 22 rapid with 18 grain pellets at 200 yards. I was trying to shoot a sub MOA group. It took me months to finally shoot one. And I did it in the early morning, actually night, it was pitch dark. I parked my car and put my highbeams on the target about 100 yards from the target. I shot past the car. The weather forecast for that time in the morning, about 4:30 AM was calm. I shot a couple of groups that morning that actually looked like groups. My 25 rapid with JSB kings fell apart at 200 yards wouldn’t even hit the target backing.

I have not shot in the dark since then.

mike

Not nearly as impressive as that 1st 100yd group, eh? Lol I try to make it a point to never LOOK while I'm shooting, instead just focus on the mechanics of "follow through", breathing, and aquiring the next target. When I actually did look, I was surprised that I had so few close to the dot because they all felt like really good smooth shots:(

Yes, follow through is very important, and its even more important that you do it exactly the same every shot. Same cheek pressure, same grip pressure, same way you pull the trigger, all of it needs to be repeatable to get the best performance. I don't think the 50 yard targets look that bad.... One thing you may want to practice that helps with follow through is to watch the pellet hit the target. If you're not smooth and consistent, you won't be able to see that. Once you become smooth and consistent, watching the pellet hit the target is fun. And it helps very much with follow through...

L.Leon, 

Thanks for the input. Yes I was one of those who assumed it was easy 3 years ago when I got my 1st pcp(Benjamin Marauder) and a Hill hand pump. After shooting rf .22s, .308s and .338 Lapuas, I thought airguns would be a good(and easier) substitute for long range shooting which required more space(+1000yards), money for ammo, ear protection, and be easier on the shoulder, yet still figure ballistics/clicks/holdovers like the pb world. 

I was surprised how much of a struggle it was to be CONSISTENTLY accurate at even 50yds! Damn flyers! Lol