Longevity in an Air Rifle

Hector will have to elaborate but I think he already stated he doesn't work for Diana, he's just a consultant to both them and several other companies, so that would be Hector of Connecticut Custom Airguns, not Hector of Dianawerks.

If nothing else, you've probably been a very good mouthpiece, even with the outrageous claims of more accurate than pcps, will shoot as good or better than rimfire, the whole shooting plasma thing (you should google plasma air, you'd be surprised what it takes to achieve not to mention the heat produced) to name just a few, to at least have a few people shoot an email to ask about the rifles so just maybe he can finally get rid of the last of them.

He never did answer my question on what the differences between Gun 1 and Gun 2 would be, but random lame thought is the new one will be exactly the same except for a lighter spring to keep the power level at the 12 fpe mark for the 13.73's like his own. I'd also guess should you really want to, Gun 1 will also shoot the 13.73's just as accurately as it does the 15.89's only a bit faster considering those barrels were designed to shoot the JSB 13.73 pellets at 750 or faster for optimum accuracy. Not that you'd know refusing to own a chrony.

My condolences to anyone buying any of the Weihrauch rifles you're about to dump. While you may give them a good deal, most if not all will need a thorough going over first, since by your own posts, they've never had anything done to them but scopes mounted, triggers tweaked and shot for 1000's of rounds. 

Happy shooting :)

Hector, now you know why I asked others better and more knowledgeable than myself to chime in with numbers for either. Also glad you noted that you ran the numbers for your gun and the 13.73's and not the heavier as I'd expect both the drop to be more and the fpe to be lower with that heavier pellet and yep, plenty of energy to kill a rabbit or even a squirrel...if they stay put long enough and we both know that's not likely since the little buggers never sit still...lol.

Every shooter's choice what brand/model/caliber they buy. I respect that and always will. What myself and many others don't respect is and has been the constant disruption of threads, the wild claims, the call out of other members, the putdowns/slapdowns of anyone who chooses to home tune their rifles and all the nasty comments made about those who do among other things and already been banned from one forum for it. If he's going to disrespect other members, he should expect it in return and not cry and whine how everyone abuses and harasses him. I'd ask what you yourself truly think of the gentleman, but I know it's not something you'd ever type in an open thread and I highly doubt I'd get a straight up, totally honest answer in private either, but you have my email address should you want to.

Happy endeavors :)

Hector, now you know why I asked others better and more knowledgeable than myself to chime in with numbers for either. Also glad you noted that you ran the numbers for your gun and the 13.73's and not the heavier as I'd expect both the drop to be more and the fpe to be lower with that heavier pellet and yep, plenty of energy to kill a rabbit or even a squirrel...if they stay put long enough and we both know that's not likely since the little buggers never sit still...lol.

Every shooter's choice what brand/model/caliber they buy. I respect that and always will. What myself and many others don't respect is and has been the constant disruption of threads, the wild claims, the call out of other members, the putdowns/slapdowns of anyone who chooses to home tune their rifles and all the nasty comments made about those who do among other things and already been banned from one forum for it. If he's going to disrespect other members, he should expect it in return and not cry and whine how everyone abuses and harasses him. I'd ask what you yourself truly think of the gentleman, but I know it's not something you'd ever type in an open thread and I highly doubt I'd get a straight up, totally honest answer in private either, but you have my email address should you want to.

Happy endeavors :)

Well said !

Hector will have to elaborate but I think he already stated he doesn't work for Diana, he's just a consultant to both them and several other companies, so that would be Hector of Connecticut Custom Airguns, not Hector of Dianawerks.

If nothing else, you've probably been a very good mouthpiece, even with the outrageous claims of more accurate than pcps, will shoot as good or better than rimfire, the whole shooting plasma thing (you should google plasma air, you'd be surprised what it takes to achieve not to mention the heat produced) to name just a few, to at least have a few people shoot an email to ask about the rifles so just maybe he can finally get rid of the last of them.

He never did answer my question on what the differences between Gun 1 and Gun 2 would be, but random lame thought is the new one will be exactly the same except for a lighter spring to keep the power level at the 12 fpe mark for the 13.73's like his own. I'd also guess should you really want to, Gun 1 will also shoot the 13.73's just as accurately as it does the 15.89's only a bit faster considering those barrels were designed to shoot the JSB 13.73 pellets at 750 or faster for optimum accuracy. Not that you'd know refusing to own a chrony.

My condolences to anyone buying any of the Weihrauch rifles you're about to dump. While you may give them a good deal, most if not all will need a thorough going over first, since by your own posts, they've never had anything done to them but scopes mounted, triggers tweaked and shot for 1000's of rounds. 

Happy shooting :)

Steve;

In the interest of full disclosure: I am a consultant to Mayer & Grammelspacher, who owns the DIANA brand, have been since 2018. I made that public on March 25th:

https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hectors-airgun-blog/not-another-iwa-report

I have also consulted for Lothar Walther, JSB, H&N, and SIGHTRON, and I am starting an interesting project with Tac Vector.

I have close connections to the industry, yes. But I am an "independent thinker" in the sense that while I do act as "Warranty of last resort" for some really difficult cases for DIANA (those where AoA, PA, AD, or any other, cannot deal with the complexity), I am free to take in any customer I want person or company.

And that works for all the companies I work with. Otherwise, I would not be able to install Kahles' scopes in my builds, as well as SIGHTRON's, Tac Vector's, or even Discovery's.

What you cal Gun 1 and Gun will differ in a bit more than the spring. The few grains of difference between the 13.7 and the 16 grs pellet are quite enough to disrupt the shot cycle.

Actually the tune that was "different" (and that took me a few weeks to "get down pat") is the one Fisher uses currently. The "normal" tune for those 0.20" cal D54 is precisely for the pellet the barrel was designed for: the 13.7's.

To reach the level of consistency and uniformity at those power levels from a spring piston airgun using heavy pellets required a modification to the design of the piston itself, and the build of a special piston.

I am sure you will understand that the details are specific and proprietary information that should not be posted in a forum.

Problem with googling words is that Google usually takes you the most visited sites, and so, if you Google "plasma" you are taken to the websites of Plasma Physicists.

Who, by their very nature have a very "narrow" definition of plasma (even with the current distinction of "high temperature" and low "temperature"), and yes, I know that definition because I have a Post Grad degree in Electrical Engineering and my Diploma Thesis was about Corona Discharge.

BUT, I also realize that for general reading, a wider definition is more useful. The difference may not seem much until you think of a concrete example:

A candle flame.

As per the Plasma Physicists that write brainy papers, the candle flame is not a "proper" plasma because not ALL the electrons are dissociated from their respective atoms.

On the other hand, a candle flame produces different colors of light precisely by using the "jumps" of some electrons among atoms, inter-atoms and intra-atoms. So, for writing something that most readers will understand, it is acceptable, IMHO, to use a word that relays the fact that for an instant, the flow of air in the transfer port of airguns is even hotter than a candle flame, has more pressure, and, when viewed through a quartz window, produces a flash of light, thereby proving the presence of photons, which can only come from electrons being somewhat "free" to move about.

From the very practical perspective of a gunsmith, if something looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and sh_ts like a duck , I'll call it a duck. The air in the TP of an airgun (specifically the short TP's in sliding compression chamber guns) is as hot, as brilliant, and harbors a LOT more energy than a candle flame.

Do I understand the reticence to use the word? yes! But I don't care. :)

The concept is better transmitted and understood, and THAT is what counts. Better informed and more knowledgeable shooters will be better for all.

I am really bad with "nicks" so, I don't recall having your Email, but if you want to send me something you can contact me through my webpage.

Keep well and shoot straight!

HM

I use this same name on GTA. We spent 3 weeks trading emails in April of 2020. Let's see if this rings a bell for you?? 

image c.1628650232.jpg

Well I broke the HW57 .22 shortly with the same mistakes I made on the .177 and the .22 froze up inside with total mechanical failure freezing the piston halfway and blowing out the pellet slider!

The .177 I got EARLIER and it still works to this day but I don't use it when I've got the HW98 .177 and HW95 .177 around to take care of .177 needs.

The .22 HW57 I got later from Venturi Air in Ohio and ONE partially closed or not closed pellet loader BLEW OUT entirely because it wasn't seated or pushed all the way DOWN.

The design is obsolete now as far as I know. Can you get a brand new HW57 anywhere? Not last time I looked years ago. Did it get reintroduced? Not today as far as I know!

The HW57 is NOT a rifle I would recommend to ANYONE of ANY intelligence. Intelligent people themselves will eventually break their HW57s is time.........!

So my .177 is still working; but the trigger and the way it fires makes accuracy incredibly hard to achieve even though it is a "straight fixed underlever barrel"; which is the same mechanism in my HW97K-T .20. The 97 is a heavier linkage but the problem is the slippery underlever that needs another part to GRAB it and NOT SLIP during cocking and to return it to the original buttoned or slotted position. And then when THAT is done, the 97 has WAY less power than my HW98 .20, which some think is the same power plant but in reality it is not by leverage and consistency and velocity.

My HW98 shoots a lot faster and is more accurate.

Show me an HW97 or HW77 that is as accurate as a D54 .20 or HW98 in ANY caliber and I'll believe you. I have the .177, .20,.25 HW98s and all do better than the .20 HW97.

I bought two HW77s in laminate blue but they BROKE in half during shipment because of the GLUE in the laminated wood--then got the HW80K .22 Long Range Hunter to replace those heavy blue laminate 77s that couldn't fire when they arrived for CRACKED stocks.

The 98 is the best in my opinion. If a man or woman wants to spend money to get an HW77 or HW97 I'd be there saying get the HW98 instead.

I was NEVER disappointed with the HW98 in .177 or .20 or .25 caliber.

Kindly,
what do you think about hw30s out of the box? What you recommend as a entry level field target gun out of box?

Fischer,

Thanks for taking the time to share your airgun collection and opinions. Seems you have a prejudice for heavy rifles and think they should be relegated to "a rest or bench with sandbags appropriately placed".

We seem to have forgotten our roots of offhand shooting. It became very popular after the civil war when German immigrants started Schuetzen Clubs. These were "country clubs" in their day and hosted many matches that were attended by shooters from all over the Country and with some from other Countries when Fests were held with prize money as high as $25,000 in gold. In the height of popularity Ballards ruled, Harry Pope barrels were highly sought after and double set triggers and palm rests were common. The most popular events were Free Rifle, no weight restriction and no trigger pull restriction.

In Free Rifle it was common for the gun to weigh 12-15 lbs but a 20 pound rifle wasn't uncommon WITHOUT A SCOPE since they weren't allowed. The target was set at 200 yards and the 10 ring was the size of a silver dollar. Many of these offhand shooters were able to put their 3 shots into the 10 ring. Harry Pope did it. Unlike present day Olympic 10 meter rifle shooters, these guys didn't have special coats, pants, boots, etc. to help steady these heavy rifles.

Weight is your friend if you have a good offhand shooting technique. Using your bones and not your muscles as a foundation for offhand shooting is a good start.
Shooting off bags is good for sighting in your rifle. After that it's offhand for me. It makes you a better marksman in the long run.