Longer fill times with bigger filter?

Sorry for the noob question, but I assume it takes a lot longer when you have a much bigger air and water filter since it needs to fill that extra volume inside? It’s definitely very slow

5A519BF6-C1A1-433B-B911-CA598D4D9BB0.1630673911.jpeg

with alittle sourcing of components, you could set up things with an inline valve and bleeder so you dont got to dump the whole thing between fills if your continuing a long shooting session ... i made one up and use it alot even with a tank ... try searching 'breathing air high pressure line valve' on fleabay if your interested, just fyi the bleeder only bleeds the output side with the valve closed ...

I had a box style like that, mine was allegedly a tuxing. I bought it on amazon. The one I received was not the same internal design of ones I saw taken apart on youtube. It worked for the first week very well. The week after it started taking longer and longer to fill a 250cc to 210 bar. I took it completely apart, checked seals and serviced it. Had the same results. I sent it back. Im trying the Yong Heng route next.

with alittle sourcing of components, you could set up things with an inline valve and bleeder so you dont got to dump the whole thing between fills if your continuing a long shooting session ... i made one up and use it alot even with a tank ... try searching 'breathing air high pressure line valve' on fleabay if your interested, just fyi the bleeder only bleeds the output side with the valve closed ...

Very good point, I am doing this with the yong heng. I should have done it with the other compressor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324537458043?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D84843b2196c848cba444d9c94e8b34dd%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D254834184078%26itm%3D324537458043%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A9ec091bf-0cca-11ec-9896-263c33bbdbeb%7Cparentrq%3Aac402f4217b0a499887e205cfffd4724%7Ciid%3A1

Remember, air is free until you start compressing it.

I originally started with a box style compressor from amazon. I was also using a large tube style desiccant filter and it took forever to fill my gun. The compressor lasted 3 weeks and locked up. I returned it to amazon and bit the bullet and bought a Hill EC3000. What a night and day difference. The hill pump has a built in filter and at first I was hesitant and used the inline filter as well. Fill up times were about 30% longer using the inline desiccant filter. I stopped using it and only use the built in filter of the Hill pump now. The built in filter seems to do a very good job of removing moisture. I always start filling with the valve open to empty any water that has collected in the filter. The hill pump is super fast and hasn't missed a beat. I currently have 11 hours on it and it works the same as the day I got it. I guess the moral of the story is that the small box compressor I had didn't last very long and I partly attribute that to the extra load that the inline desiccant filter put on the compressor. The Hill pump really is worth every penny. I haven't timed a fill up, but it will fill my 580cc bottle from 105bar to 300bar in about the time it takes to load a 28rd FX magazine and 1 speed loader. 

good idea, it is a pain when i have to release the pressure and start all over again

That filter is WAY to big for that compressor. You should buy one of those small tampon type filters that cost about $15 and are commonly seen with Yong Heng Compressors. On a direct rifle fill, you're spending more time pressurizing the filter than pumping air into that Leshiy 2. Total mismatch of components. Keep the gold filter for a larger compressor down the road.

Yes. There's a good reason that the small filter is appropriate for this type of compressor. The large gold filter is just too much added runtime for a direct to rifle fill oilless compressor. The internal volume of a gold filter is larger than the volume in the Leshiy airtube. The interior volume of the gold filter is 234cc. The media inside the filter takes up approximately half of the volume which leaves 117cc's of air used to pressurize the gold filter. The cylinder volume of the Leshiy 2 is 137cc and the plenum is 42cc for a total of 179cc. With an assumption that the cylinder is being refilled when the pressure level is 50%, the compressor is being run over half the time just to pressurzie gold filter on each refill.

Reactions: armored007
Yes. There's a good reason that the small filter is appropriate for this type of compressor. The large gold filter is just too much added runtime for a direct to rifle fill oilless compressor. The internal volume of a gold filter is larger than the volume in the Leshiy airtube. The interior volume of the gold filter is 234cc. The media inside the filter takes up approximately half of the volume which leaves 117cc's of air used to pressurize the gold filter. The cylinder volume of the Leshiy 2 is 137cc and the plenum is 42cc for a total of 179cc. With an assumption that the cylinder is being refilled when the pressure level is 50%, the compressor is being run over half the time just to pressurzie gold filter on each refill.

thanks - replied back and +1

I really like you idea, and think I have the perfect plan.

I just ordered a high pressure stainless 3-way valve with 3/8 british female threads off Aliexpress along with some matching male foster type fittings. The valve is rated to 4560 psi.

I will install a foster fill valve at the inlet to the filter to hold the pressure, and the 3-way valve at the outlet. The bleeder valve at the compressor will allow me to release the pressure between the compressor and the filter. The 3-way valve will allow me to either fill the gun, or port it to atmosphere. While the gun is ported to atmosphere, the air pressure will be retained in the filter, which can removed and stored at pressure.

Whenever I want to open the filter, all I will need to do is switch the valve to the gun filling position without the gun attached, which will discharge the air from the filter.

With this setup I should be able to store the filter under pressure eliminating excessive compressor run time. 

If it all works out, I will post some photos.