N/A Longer barrel a negative ?

The thing is, what some say is that an extra 100mm of barrel will cause the pellet or slug to stay longer in the barrel and might send it to a different POI than the shorter barrel. So the question is not if there is some sort of recoil or push back, but will that extra 100mm barrel length change the POI as compared to the shorter barrel. I cannot imagine that.

The thing is, what some say is that an extra 100mm of barrel will cause the pellet or slug to stay longer in the barrel and might send it to a different POI than the shorter barrel. So the question is not if there is some sort of recoil or push back, but will that extra 100mm barrel length change the POI as compared to the shorter barrel. I cannot imagine that.
I don't see how that matters. Just re-sight in the scope. It's not like you're swapping barrel lengths all the time. When I went from a 600 to 700 mm barrel I had to re-sight. But I was also getting more FPS.

Having hunted my entire life with a 30/06. 45-70, and 12 ga shotguns I always chuckle when recoil and air rifle are used in the same sentence.
I smiled when I first heard talk of recoil in air rifles too, my big game rifle is a .338 magnum lol.
But it’s definitely a real thing, when I shoot my Rapid .20 or my RedWolf HP .177 I can literally watch the pellet hole appear on the target.
The crosshairs move very little in the shot cycle on these rifles, when I shoot my Crown .30 there’s quite a jump and the crosshairs move around a lot.
It’s not a problem at all, and it’s still accurate and easy to shoot, it’s just not as pleasant and mellow as the other two rifles.
My favorite shooting sessions are when using the low recoil rifles, it just so fun be able to see the impacts happening.

Reactions: Dairyboy
After pulling the trigger on a PCP, you MUST "follow through". The pellet is leaving the barrel way slower than a powder burner. It was an adjustment I had to make myself.
Follow through is important from small air pistol shooting to big PB shooting, all types of bow shooting and even golfing and tennis and many other disciplines. That is a given.

Reactions: karl_h and Vana2
When Steve at AEAC was tuning the .25 Maverick, both compact and sniper versions, was getting better groups with the compact. He claimed the shorter barrel on the compact allows the pellet to leave the rifle sooner . I totally understand his reasoning and wouldn't be surprised if many guys including me would group better with a compact. But when a guy gets a good repeatable hold and follow through on the longer barrel pcps would then make a difference and the long barrel would be more beneficial.

Recoil indeed affects accuracy.

Power helps accuracy at long range because you have less drop.

Longer barrel gives more power and therefore more recoil.

Depending on the kind of shooting you practice then you would like one or the other.

The farther ahead the starting travel of the projectile in regard of the transfer port, the lesser the recoil. That little space allow a smoother acceleration that reduce the physics law that says: (in Spanish: "A toda acción corresponde una reacción, de la misma magnitud y dirección, pero en sentido contrario").

My translation
would say: To all action there's a reaction, with same magnitud and direction but in opposite way. Sorry for not using exact technical words.

The recoil of the BRK Ghost in .30 Cal is less than many other .30 Cal air rifles I have shoot with.
PLEASE

IMPORTANT

Look what this man says in minute 15:30:

So he said pellet depth into the breach influence accuracy. First time I heard that.
How deep must the pellet then sit and how do one control it with other rifles?
The only rifle I know with the ability to change the deep position of pellet into the barrel is this RTI Mora.

When shooting the BRK Ghost .30 Cal the length of travel of the side lever and how smooth it felt at the shot, made me think it place the pellet farther forward than other rifles I shoot with.

Shorter barrels of a given diameter are a lot stiffer than longer barrels. They flex less from the admittedly limited shock produced in air rifles, compared to PBs; and so short barrels suffer less from "harmonics".

Now, it might help to define the length of a "short" barrel, as well as a "long" barrel. Too short and muzzle blast can buffet an airgun projectile, cancelling any barrel stiffness advantage - unless you use a good air stripper. Also, as mentioned above, barrel length and tune need to be compatible, else all bets are off.

If you want a long barrel that does not require a lot of attention to harmonics, to enable shooting at high power, then make that barrel stiff. This can be done by using a large OD, or by tensioning a thin barrel in a steel, aluminum, or carbon fiber tube. Using different materials requires measures to tolerate different thermal expansion, so that barrel tension is maintained over a reasonable ambient temperature range. Else, harmonics drift with temperature, along with POI and potentially, grouping ability.

Last edited:
When I think of recoil effect I'm thinking anticipation of the shot and jerking the trigger or the rifle itself. I'm not thinking the actual recoil causing a loss in accuracy. Probably why I don't get the air rifle recoil discussion. Well, mainly for 25 cal and under. I just watched some of my video's shooting with a .25 cal at 980+ fps and there's minimal to no movement of the crosshairs, even in slow motion. That would not happen with a powder burner. Hence no shot anticipation messing up my shot.

I watched a PRS match a few years back and some of the shooters had braked suppressors that had no recoil what so ever, so in a sense, doesn't a moderated pcp create the same effect as a suppressor?
Yes, all my guns have less muzzle flip and are more accurate with a well designed moderator

Bb

Reactions: Dairyboy
The only rifle I know with the ability to change the deep position of pellet into the barrel is this RTI Mora.

When shooting the BRK Ghost .30 Cal the length of travel of the side lever and how smooth it felt at the shot, made me think it place the pellet farther forward than other rifles I shoot with.
I modified a couple of my guns so I could alter pellet seatings position. The reason being they are both pin probes types, the original was ok on a pellet with a more solid head as it would be pushed passed the transfer port, but a lighter more hollow head was not.
Having the adjustable probe allows each pellet type regardless of shape to be pushed to the same position past the port.

Bb

When Steve at AEAC was tuning the .25 Maverick, both compact and sniper versions, was getting better groups with the compact. He claimed the shorter barrel on the compact allows the pellet to leave the rifle sooner . I totally understand his reasoning and wouldn't be surprised if many guys including me would group better with a compact. But when a guy gets a good repeatable hold and follow through on the longer barrel pcps would then make a difference and the long barrel would be more beneficial.
As already mentioned, longer barrels are more prone to flex especially liner systems used by fx, I would suggest it is this more than the pellet leaving sooner as to the difference between both guns, additionally, not all barrels are equal, a short good barrel will always beat a bad long barrel and visa versa.

Bb

Is there any videos out there to compare this effect? efficiency vs flex? Are the harmonics an issue or do they just have to be tuned differently on a longer barrel?
I'm looking at an FX bullput and wondering if 700mm is worth it over 500.
One more question, how much quieter is a longer barrel tuned to keep the power the same (more air expansion, less pop)?