• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Long Ranger shooting-BS or not?

"jps2486"Shooting golf balls at extended ranges looks is challenging and looks like fun. I can see that up to 200 yards, it can be practically done. But some folks claim and show videos of hitting golf balls up to 300 yards and more. I looked at pellet trajectories on Chairgun up to 300 yards and the pellets drop so significantly, that I'm beginning to question this. Please comment (be nice) on this.

For a 25 caliber air rifle shooting 33 gr pellets at 915 fps or 63 fpe (That's what my Charlie Frear tuned Cricket shoots):
at 200 yards, the drop is over 300 inches=30 MOA
at 250 yards, the drop is 900 inches=90 MOA
at 300 yards, the drop is 2400 inches=240 MOA

For a 30 cal rifle shooting 44.95 gr pellets at 900 fps:
at 200 yards, the drop is 280 inches
at 250 yards, the drop is 1000 inches
at 300 yards, the drop is 2300 inches

At those extended ranges, the pellet is practically dropping vertically on the target. I don't think anyone makes adjustable scope rings that can compensate for that kind of drop and scope holdover would be out of the optical range. Adjustable rings would work ok at 200 yards, but beyond that??? So, I think that hits at 300 yards is pure s--t luck. Please point out the error of my thinking.
I think you're misinterpreting what ChairGun is telling you. Yes, if fired on a level plane or while aiming at a closer target the pellet begins to drop almost immediately, winding up 'x' inches low at 'y' yards and will be falling quite steeply when it gets there.

However, when shooting at a target at 'y' yards, you're pellet first goes up, then starts down, and the drop angle when it reaches the target isn't nearly as steep. I recall from looking up max range data for my .25 that the pellet was still traveling something like 3 feet over the ground for every foot of drop at 600 or so yards. Those numbers are very approximate but still a long way from being vertical at 300 yards. 

Play around with with your ChairGun set to a zero of 'y' yards and you'll see what I mean. 

I haven't had a chance to view all of the videos yet but I have seen a few that didn't look quite right. It may be something as simple as the equipment they are using. Personally, I will be attempting this using a cell phone to video with so I might be one of the sketchy people being spoke about. I have had my golf balls for a couple weeks but haven't been home to shoot. Now a hurricane is threatening my entry... Ever see someone shoot a golf ball at 150 yards; with a pellet gun; in hurricane force winds?
Me either, but you might if I don't make it home before the storm; and it takes a turn to the East!!!
I guess in the end, its not for us to judge but for us enjoy. Also, its really just an entry into a contest for the Impact.

"dleadslinger"I haven't had a chance to view all of the videos yet but I have seen a few that didn't look quite right. It may be something as simple as the equipment they are using. Personally, I will be attempting this using a cell phone to video with so I might be one of the sketchy people being spoke about. I have had my golf balls for a couple weeks but haven't been home to shoot. Now a hurricane is threatening my entry... Ever see someone shoot a golf ball at 150 yards; with a pellet gun; in hurricane force winds?
Me either, but you might if I don't make it home before the storm; and it takes a turn to the East!!!
I guess in the end, its not for us to judge but for us enjoy. Also, its really just an entry into a contest for the Impact.
If you're gonna be shooting in a category 2 or above then be sure to use JSB Heavies.