• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Long-range shooting selection 0.22 or 0.25

The .25 caliber pellets have a higher ballistics coefficient, meaning that they are much more efficient at flying through the air, and will be more resistant to wind.

If you have a ballistics solver (I use Applied Ballistics in my Kestrel 5700 - but lots of apps available) - you can enter the target distance that you are wanting to shoot at, and enter the BC and muzzle velocity of various .25 and .22 pellets. You can find BC's for pellets throughout the internet, and a ballistic solver app ChairGun has a lot of pellet BC's stored in it's database. You can find muzzle velocities for different airguns posted here and around the web.

Ultimately, you will see that the bigger pellets will have less elevation drop and less windeage required to get to target. Put in a 10 mph full value crosswind into the ballistic solver to see the windeage difference.

Many are finding that 30 cal has a higher ballistic coefficient and therefore is a better long range choice. But the lead is expensive and it requires a lot of air to propel. It comes down to economics. How much long range capability can you afford? For me, .25 is about as far as I can go. I intend to optimize .25 by converting to high BC slugs. Shooting .25 slugs is already costly enough for me. For casual plincking and target practice, I use .177 and .22. I break out the .25 only when there's a heavy varmint to deal with. 

The heavier .22 cal pellets have a superior ballistic coefficient when compared to the .25 pellets. The 25.39 gr .22 cal re-designs like mentioned above are good and also the 34 grain .22 JSB Beast Jumbo. Problem is I’ve never had a platform that shoots the 34 grain .22 cal JSB’s worth a darn so I’ve always messed with the 18.1’s like most everyone else. If you could find something that would shoot those 34 grain pellets anywhere over 900 accurately, you would have one helluva long range rig. 

Something else to consider is the signature of the projectile when it's down range. A .25 pellet will have a bigger "splash" or signature down range than a .22. This is pretty important when shooting long range. 

If you can't spot your misses, there is no way to quickly and accurately adjust to get a second round impact.

Not necessarily... your downrange impact or “splash” is directly related to the retained energy. A higher ballistic coefficient leads to higher retained velocity and energy. A .22 pellet with 25 ft lbs energy at 150 yards will have impact and splash than a .25 cal pellet with only 20 ft lbs. The diameter of the pellet has little to do with the impact energy.

Something else to consider is the signature of the projectile when it's down range. A .25 pellet will have a bigger "splash" or signature down range than a .22. This is pretty important when shooting long range. 

If you can't spot your misses, there is no way to quickly and accurately adjust to get a second round impact.

Not necessarily... your downrange impact or “splash” is directly related to the retained energy. A higher ballistic coefficient leads to higher retained velocity and energy. A .22 pellet with 25 ft lbs energy at 150 yards will have impact and splash than a .25 cal pellet with only 20 ft lbs. The diameter of the pellet has little to do with the impact energy.

Of course - but how often are you going to be able to push a .22 cal pellet down range with more energy than a .25? Getting the proper airgun to drive your projectile of choice will be an important piece to the puzzle. I believe more often than not, with the right airgun matched to the projectile, a .25 will beat out a .22.

A bigger, faster pellet with a higher BC will always beat out the smaller one. Plus, I'm hearing a lot of mixed things about the higher BC .22 pellets - seems to be a lot of stability issues.

Like I was saying, JSB makes 25.39 gr a s 34 grain .22 cal pellets. I can easily push either of these well over 900 in my WAR Flex. I just haven’t had the time to really tune the pellets for long range accuracy. Most people shoot the .25 cal Kings around 880ish depending on the platform. The potential is there, but your right most guns aren’t really set up for those heavy .22’s 

The bigger diameter pellets don’t always have higher BC... you are 100% correct about the stability issues with the new high BC .22 pellets. The problem lies in the common twist rates we have in our airguns. Maybe the new liners from FX could solve the issue. I’d love a .22 that would push those 33.4’s at 950. What a hammer.

Fact of the matter is, if you can sling a bigger, heavier pellet with a higher BC than a smaller pellet, then it will be better at long range shooting. 

I'm sure there are plenty of capable .22's, but if the primary objective is long range, then I would get a .25 airgun that can shoot the .25 pellets at a high speed. There seems to be plenty of great .25 airguns that can throw pellets at a high speed. 

Like I was saying, JSB makes 25.39 gr a s 34 grain .22 cal pellets. I can easily push either of these well over 900 in my WAR Flex. I just haven’t had the time to really tune the pellets for long range accuracy. Most people shoot the .25 cal Kings around 880ish depending on the platform. The potential is there, but your right most guns aren’t really set up for those heavy .22’s 

The bigger diameter pellets don’t always have higher BC... you are 100% correct about the stability issues with the new high BC .22 pellets. The problem lies in the common twist rates we have in our airguns. Maybe the new liners from FX could solve the issue. I’d love a .22 that would push those 33.4’s at 950. What a hammer.

I agree. I think it would be really cool to be able to utilize those higher BC .22's. And a lot of fun.