Long Range Question for RW .177 HP owners

Good evening long range shooters,

For quite some time I have been intrigued by posts made by several members sharing their long range slugs shooting experiences.. so, in the last couple of months exploring different slugs at factory tuned Mid & Hi power levels, shooting bet 60-100 yards range. Tested so far: NSA 12.5g, Daystate's (NSA) Howler 12.6g and NSA 15.g. All demonstrated phenomenal performance/accuracy. Scope of choice (the only scope I own, actually) is Sightron FT 10x50x60 Mil-Hash reticle. Now, I'm not looking for any shortcuts or a "magic slug" here lol....just experimenting with the process of navigating through those multiple variables is pure joy) So here's my question(s):

1. Same as with pellets, what helped you decide when you were looking for "the right slug for the right job?" for example, why go with a 15g or 20.5g slug when shooting at 100 yards on Hi power instead of 12.5g? Did you find one slug to be more accurate/less fussy than the other? simply to better tackle the wind? getting more FT Lbs upon impact? Better BC?

2. What slug weight + x distance + power level COMBO, yield you the best results? would love to hear about your experience on this one.

2. Do I need to worry about barrel twist rate and BC when choosing a slug for a certain task?

3. Any other inputs/ tips/ variables to account for/ words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for sharing :)

Ari

Been shooting long range for quite some time now using my Daystate Red Wolf .177 HP and various slugs 👍🎯

Started out shooting my own swaged slugs in 13 gr and 16 gr and they worked pretty well. 

These days with NSA and JSB slugs available, I am also getting great results with these. 

This was from yesterday - A friend of mine shooting and hitting a fly at 150 metres or 164 yards 👍 I was watching in my scope alongside him 😊

8A701FAA-CB7E-4425-BC01-FFFEEF816E1D.1633944437.jpeg

Soren, Tell your buddy good shooting on the fly. I was trying to hit one at 190 the other day, I came so close.

To the questions above, I just tried all the sizes NSA had. 

The 12.5 and the 15 Shot equally well for me at 100 yards. If I were hunting I would probably go with one of the two. The 15 shot really really well all the way out to 230 yards. I have not shot it any further as I have run out of land.

I think the red wolf is a little bit under powered for the 20.5 grain. I bought a bunch of them, and I’m holding onto them. Because we know that things are going to get more powerful not less.

If I were going to hunt with mine, I would choose the 15 and not look back. I have not tried the knockouts.

I didn’t worry about twist rate or anything like that because I just bought a RedWolf. It had already been program for me by some superstar who set it up for Airgun Nation.

I don’t find it any different than any other ammo testing. 

I do find shooting at an absolute blast. The complete lack of recoil, noise even at 30 foot pounds, and the wonderful trigger I’ll combine to make an absolutely fantastic combination.

Please post some of your long range groups while you do your experimentation.

mike

This was from yesterday - A friend of mine shooting and hitting a fly at 150 metres or 164 yards 👍 I was watching in my scope alongside him 😊

Hey Soren, tell your buddy he was lucky to have a good spotter next to him lol.. I also tried getting a similar fly shot at the range, but now after you shared this, its definitely on top of my "to do" list haha..

Btw, I read that the KnockOut Slugs .177 Cal, 13.43gr. yield somewhat similar results to the .177 JSB Redesigned Monster 13.43gr. ? Did you happen to compare these 2 down range ? I do need to renew my 13gr-15gr supply so I'm curious if you any inputs to share? Thanks! 👍

Hey Mike, 

---Thanks for taking the time and sharing about your experience.

The 12.5 and the 15 Shot equally well for me at 100 yards. If I were hunting I would probably go with one of the two. The 15 shot really really well all the way out to 230 yards.

---I also find the 15gr to be stupid accurate at 100+ yards, I mean ,it almost felt "un fair", along the lines of fishing with dynamite or something... but since I mainly do paper-punching/target shooting, I'm leaning more towards the 12.5gr as I dont have to mess around with hold overs/clicks etc...(or maybe I'm just being lazy?) we actually talked about that in a previous post of yours, where you've mentioned you're using adjustable rings to account for that. I'll keep that in mind.

Regarding the 20.5gr,  I'll have to leave these big boys on hold for now. I don't really do any "real" hunting to justify a leap to 20.5gr. At 30 ft lbs. The 15gr's would be more than enough for pesting/small game up to 100 yards. 

If I were going to hunt with mine, I would choose the 15 and not look back. ----was thinking the same thing.

----Regarding the knockouts. I was curious as to how these shoot compare to the 13.43 Redesigned, I might just end up getting a couple of both and see for myself.

I do find shooting at an absolute blast. The complete lack of recoil, noise even at 30 foot pounds, and the wonderful trigger I’ll combine to make an absolutely fantastic combination. --- I'm right there with you.

Please post some of your long range groups while you do your experimentation. ---Absolutely. Thanks.

Ari

This was from yesterday - A friend of mine shooting and hitting a fly at 150 metres or 164 yards
1f44d.svg
I was watching in my scope alongside him
1f60a.svg

Hey Soren, tell your buddy he was lucky to have a good spotter next to him lol.. I also tried getting a similar fly shot at the range, but now after you shared this, its definitely on top of my "to do" list haha..

Btw, I read that the KnockOut Slugs .177 Cal, 13.43gr. yield somewhat similar results to the .177 JSB Redesigned Monster 13.43gr. ? Did you happen to compare these 2 down range ? I do need to renew my 13gr-15gr supply so I'm curious if you any inputs to share? Thanks!
1f44d.svg

5DCAC136-1343-4F68-9F40-4D584BB4869F.1633984729.jpeg

—I also find the 15gr to be stupid accurate at 100+ yards, I mean ,it almost felt "un fair", along the lines of fishing with dynamite or something… but since I mainly do paper-punching/target shooting, I'm leaning more towards the 12.5gr as I dont have to mess around with hold overs/clicks etc…(or maybe I'm just being lazy?) we actually talked about that in a previous post of yours, where you've mentioned you're using adjustable rings to account for that. I'll keep that in mind.

omg!

The dynamite comment is right on.

I laughed so hard when I read that. That’s kind of how I feel. I’ve been struggling to shoot pellets at long range for so long, and now we have these little bullets. And they’re absolutely freaking magic. I personally think the 15 grain shoots just as flat or close enough compared to the 12.5.

I know the difference in drop at 190 is not significant. I can switch back-and-forth and easily adjust up and down. I’m thinking 5 inches difference, And inside 100 yards it was really nonexistent.

I found the 15 to battle the wind better, and I really have trouble loading the 12.5 they’re so short.

I have not figured out the difference in drop between the 15, and the 20 out long range, I’m guessing it’s feet. Not inches.

mike

Though I've only taken them out to 150, the 20.2 NSA's shot a 25 cal hole for 5 at 100. Nothing else is close that I've shot. I have a 96v Heliboard on it and pl 12 is just 895. It's all it can do and feels like it, so I've not shot them much yet. I have an unchoked poly waiting to be fitted but EBR has occupied most of my time lately. Hopefully get time to fit the barrel and open up the port to see how it does. I Do enjoy the 16.1 Beasts at 980, though. Pleasant to shoot and incredibly accurate below 100. I have all the calibers for it but the little 177 w 16.1s by far easiest to shoot and most accurate at 50.

Soren and Flintsack .... REALLY enjoy your posts and shooting skills.

Bob

I would love to see a little picture of that five shot group. It gives me something to strive for. I’m not getting it near your velocity. I of course have a standard board, but it’s my magic rifle…I’ll be candid, I’m so afraid I’ll mess something up, accidentally zapp the board, change the settings I don’t know. I’ve changed the boards in my other rifles a dozen times.

mike

I would love to see a little picture of that five shot group. It gives me something to strive for. I’m not getting it near your velocity. I of course have a standard board, but it’s my magic rifle…I’ll be candid, I’m so afraid I’ll mess something up, accidentally zapp the board, change the settings I don’t know. I’ve changed the boards in my other rifles a dozen times.

mike

I will see what I can do, now that EBR is done. I wouldn't mess with it, either. I really only mess with mine if something seems off or to prep for a big event to keep things from failing. These are wonderfully simple mechanisms with nice controls in the board. Relatively painless to re-seal. The Heliboard is AWESOME .... in that I can make it a 177, 22, 25, or 30 by changing barrels (2 screws) and probes (2 screws), then set to the power level already set up for that pellet.... good to go and very repeatable and dependable. Hell... the zero between barrels is rarely 0.5 mil different.

Thanks for posting though.... really enjoy them.

Bob

This was from yesterday - A friend of mine shooting and hitting a fly at 150 metres or 164 yards
1f44d.svg
I was watching in my scope alongside him
1f60a.svg

Btw, I read that the KnockOut Slugs .177 Cal, 13.43gr. yield somewhat similar results to the .177 JSB Redesigned Monster 13.43gr. ? Did you happen to compare these 2 down range ? I do need to renew my 13gr-15gr supply so I'm curious if you any inputs to share? Thanks!
1f44d.svg

5DCAC136-1343-4F68-9F40-4D584BB4869F.1633984729.jpeg

Intersting that the difference isn't just windage but general dispersion.

I can not compare myself SorenSD or flintsack ! But with the pulsar hp shooting the howlers @980 and the nsa 15gr @915 however the 20.5 @675-700fps, all shoot very good. I am limited to 125yrds that’s a1.25x1.25” swinging target, but my 75&100yrd targets are paper. For me @75yrds easy to shoot sub moa groups more difficult @100 and 125 but last night with light wind was able too shoot a half inch 13 shot group my best so far with the factory setting. I never thought that a 177 could have such accuracy until I see what the guys mentioned showed what could be done, using slugs of course. But that’s just my results the other guys are better shots than myself, but they have inspired me to get a 177 DS. Good luck with your results 

Soren 

Nice range nice shooting!

8thman

Please post your groups.

mike

I am one of the very few that refuses to get a cellphone! But my wife showed me that I can use her iPad. And that may take a little while, my range is in my back yard very convenient but I have a large 150”+ buck traveling through my yard and my friend wants to shoot it with the crossbow that I sold him. I’m in my mid60’s and soon I will go out to replace them in the mid day hopefully when the buck is killed or when the rest of the targets are full and need to be replaced. Please be patient with me i have never posted any groups before. But I would also like to show full fill groups meaning 40-50shot groups that show the results with wind and fliers that tells the whole story of the ammo and my own abilities. I just need a little time but as soon as possible I’ll pm you. Thanks for your interest 

That’s a great idea! A forty or fifty shot group in one shooting session would be a huge challenge. It would definitely show the consistency of the rifle and the shooter and all in one target and in one session. I can’t wait to try it. You would definitely need to have the point of impact lower than where the actual crosshairs were on the aiming point so you wouldn’t shoot out the aim point. Here’s my best five shot group at 130 yards with a AZ Rapid .20 cal. It’s a cherry picked group from many attempts in perfect conditions, and I have not done it again. But I’m very curious as to how small of a silver dot I can make on the rusty steel at 130 yards with fifty shots! Once I heal up from a foolish shop accident I will definitely try the 50 shots at 130 yards and then post the picture of the group… bet it’s going to be bigger than the one in the picture lol! This will be fun.
7422B2DE-C044-4535-A3EE-7BDDE0ABC596.1634854558.jpeg
109651ED-781C-4C93-87A2-CD1B6C40A6E6.1634854559.jpeg