Long range pellets

Pellets by design tend to be poor long range performers .. while they will in some caliber / weight / speed configurations there shape and lower BC has them as said many times ... Decelerate like a bat-mitten shuttlecock !

Shooting them faster can cause severe spiraling with an unfortunate side effect of MORE wind drift tendency.

Longer tail and heavier with less diablo waist seems to be the trend in recent times to ink out long range performance using a pellet.

Lots to read out there on the subject .. just keep your expectations realistic and don't get caught up in all the video and hype created by the few who have been successful. Really wish to shoot at distance with an air gun ... SLUGS is where the future will be doing so.

JMO ...

Pellets by design tend to be poor long range performers .. while they will in some caliber / weight / speed configurations there shape and lower BC has them as said many times ... Decelerate like a bat-mitten shuttlecock !

Shooting them faster can cause severe spiraling with an unfortunate side effect of MORE wind drift tendency.

Longer tail and heavier with less diablo waist seems to be the trend in recent times to ink out long range performance using a pellet.

Lots to read out there on the subject .. just keep your expectations realistic and don't get caught up in all the video and hype created by the few who have been successful. Really wish to shoot at distance with an air gun ... SLUGS is where the future will be doing so.

JMO ...

Thank you for letting me know what you think. It helps me to be careful about what I need to buy in pellets. 

You can look through the attached .22 cal BC table, and see which domed pellets* have a higher BC (note that BC is variable with velocity, and every gun is a bit different, but those numbers are a good starting point). Those would be the ones resisting wind drift best.

With the very heavy pellets (say 25gr and over) you'd really need enough power to get them out there, 30FPE I'd say, your mileage might vary.

Also, there seems to be a tendency (cf. Bob Sterne's testing) that heavy pellets have a higher BC at higher velocities (850-900fps), where lighter pellets have their peak BC at mid velocities.

I'd buy a tin of each (or a couple of pellet samplers). During a time of low to no wind (at night with some strong flashlights?) I'd hang a large poster or two out at 100y, with a bunch of numbered bulls eyes, and shoot away. 😄 FUN!!

Matthias

*Note that the Rabbit pellet and the Piledriver both are extremely barrel picky, so I wouldn't start with those in your testing...

download.png
View attachment 1588014211_1257209905ea72c83d183f5.00741248.pdf

You can look through the attached .22 cal BC table, and see which domed pellets* have a higher BC (note that BC is variable with velocity, and every gun is a bit different, but those numbers are a good starting point). Those would be the ones resisting wind drift best.

With the very heavy pellets (say 25gr and over) you'd really need enough power to get them out there, 30FPE I'd say, your mileage might vary.

Also, there seems to be a tendency (cf. Bob Sterne's testing) that heavy pellets have a higher BC at higher velocities (850-900fps), where lighter pellets have their peak BC at mid velocities.

I'd buy a tin of each (or a couple of pellet samplers). During a time of low to no wind (at night with some strong flashlights?) I'd hang a large poster or two out at 100y, with a bunch of numbered bulls eyes, and shoot away. 😄 FUN!!

Matthias

*Note that the Rabbit pellet and the Piledriver both are extremely barrel picky, so I wouldn't start with those in your testing...

download.png
View attachment 1588014211_1257209905ea72c83d183f5.00741248.pdf

Thanks for the graph on the .22 pellets. Do they have one on the .177 cal and the .25 cal ? This would help me with the other barrels I have with this rifle. Please send me a pdfs on them if you can. I thank you for all the help you have given me. I have seen the video review that's out on this rifle and he only uses one kind of pellet and just reviews one barrel. But I'm sure there will be more later on.

My Pellet Tables for .177 and .25 are not as up-to-date as the .22cal -- I accepted my gun purchasing limits and decided to concentrate on .22cal. 😊 

Find attached my drafts for Pellet Tables for .177 and .25 cal. 

Matthias

2 Attachments

download.png
View attachment 1588043605_20023183005ea79f555c6966.65961076.pdf

download.png
View attachment 1588043612_20007543475ea79f5cefb333.96284204.pdf

Thank you again for you help. It's great to know that people like you are willing to help those of us that are trying to make the best of out shooting experience. Roger.

Thank you gentlemen . As a newbe to the airgun world I am reading and trying to gain knowledge . Some of the info is to much for me to use with my limited background . But I am learning . And having a good time do it too .

Rick

It's nice to hear from you, and this place is a great way of getting the information you need. The people on this site will help you all you have to do is let us know what the problem is and if we don't know their are people that will tell you where to go to get the help you need. Great way to stay up to date . Hope you learn all you can. Take care Roger.

I am just asking to see what would be the best pellets to shoot at 100 yards or more in .177, .22. .25. I know each rifle likes and dislikes pellets. But if I could get a list of the ones people have use at that distance that worked for them I will give them a try and see if it works for me. Thank you,Hope someone can help. Roger

ninjarog:

There are no "Long Range Pellets" per se designed for good precision at 100 yards or more, pellets are designed to be stabilized by DRAG and drag and aerodynamics are inversely correlated; the farther the distance the more drag and the worst BC (aerodynamics).

Better guns and components and the leaps in technology have made it possible for us to shoot pellets with much better precision than 5-10 or 20 years ago, but the results will NEVER EVER be consistent, if anyone tells you that his gun shoots pellets very precisely at 100 M all the time, make sure that he is a keyboard shooter who doesn't know what he is talking about...You may shoot a group measuring 1 MOA or less at 100 one day after you have shot innumerable groups, but for replicating that tiny group you will need to shot another 100+ groups. Keep in mind that the smaller and lighter the pellet the less precise at those 100 Yard distances; you need sectional density to cope with windy conditions (drift).

If you want precision and consistency you need to go the SLUG route...If your gun doesn't have a choke you can shoot ANY slug (some will shoot better than others depending on your barrel profile), but if your barrel is choked you will need to use HYBRIDS or similar designs...Hybrids have the advantages of a G1 projectile (more aerodynamic than pellets) with a dish hollow shape skirt that will perform as pellet skirts do (You can shoot those with or without a choke in your barrel)....Push a pellet from the breech forward and you will find out if your barrel is choked or not...No resistance means no choke.

Regards,

AZ

I am just asking to see what would be the best pellets to shoot at 100 yards or more in .177, .22. .25. I know each rifle likes and dislikes pellets. But if I could get a list of the ones people have use at that distance that worked for them I will give them a try and see if it works for me. Thank you,Hope someone can help. Roger

ninjarog:

There are no "Long Range Pellets" per se designed for good precision at 100 yards or more, pellets are designed to be stabilized by DRAG and drag and aerodynamics are inversely correlated; the farther the distance the more drag and the worst BC (aerodynamics).

Better guns and components and the leaps in technology have made it possible for us to shoot pellets with much better precision than 5-10 or 20 years ago, but the results will NEVER EVER be consistent, if anyone tells you that his gun shoots pellets very precisely at 100 M all the time, make sure that he is a keyboard shooter who doesn't know what he is talking about...You may shoot a group measuring 1 MOA or less at 100 one day after you have shot innumerable groups, but for replicating that tiny group you will need to shot another 100+ groups. Keep in mind that the smaller and lighter the pellet the less precise at those 100 Yard distances; you need sectional density to cope with windy conditions (drift).

If you want precision and consistency you need to go the SLUG route...If your gun doesn't have a choke you can shoot ANY slug (some will shoot better than others depending on your barrel profile), but if your barrel is choked you will need to use HYBRIDS or similar designs...Hybrids have the advantages of a G1 projectile (more aerodynamic than pellets) with a dish hollow shape skirt that will perform as pellet skirts do (You can shoot those with or without a choke in your barrel)....Push a pellet from the breech forward and you will find out if your barrel is choked or not...No resistance means no choke.

Regards,

AZ

Thanks for letting me know the information you have on this. I ordered some Hybrid slugs to see how well they do. I also have Hatsan rifles that are choked. So I'll give them a try. Thanks again Roger.

Thanks for letting me know the information you have on this. I ordered some Hybrid slugs to see how well they do. I also have Hatsan rifles that are choked. So I'll give them a try. Thanks again Roger.

You will be very happy with their performance and precision Roger, have fun testing them and please let us know how you did...If you encounter any issues, please post them and we will research your issues and will try to assist you in resolving them.

You stay safe and enjoy your shooting.

Regards,

AZ