Long range on steel using slugs with AGT Uragan King 25

I'll start off by commenting that years ago I tried long range with a 40 fpe 25 cal pcp using 25gr and 31gr pellets without much success. Occasionally I'd try farther out well past 100Y with pellets using my other guns but I didn't like how large the groups were or how much the wind affected the pellets. I always felt like I was wasting time and ammo.

About a year ago I tried slugs in some of those rifles but I had big flyers which was discouraging so I kinda shelved the idea of using slugs as well. IMHO I think those rifles needed more appropriate twist rates for slugs, as well maybe the size of the slugs wasn't a good fit to the barrels??? I also saw many posts here on AGN with shooters having problems getting slugs to shoot well. Eh, I kinda put the slug idea on hold to revisit some day in the future.

Fast forward to this month of July 2021 shortly after I got my King, things had changed in the slug department! At a friends shooting range when plinking I began to notice that the slugs that came with my King (bought it used) shot pretty good at distance but I hadn't gotten to do any real testing yet. 

So last night I set up the steel in the pics with the intent of starting before sunrise when it got light enough out to see, which I did, and there was VERY little wind. I didn't confirm my zero because I didn't have a target set up at 50Y and I wanted to get going before the wind kicked up. Next time I will check my zero but I should have been within .2 mil of zero today and I'm guessing it was low??

My King sends 29gr NSA's at 922 fps. The shooting was done laying down with a Harris bipod and rear tactical squeeze bag.

20210727_114802.1627412525.jpg

The AOA coin is 1" on the big round steel which is 15.5" wide. After I was done shooting, and after I repainted the steel, I put it on the ground and placed the coin over the brown spot that I had spray painted to have an aim point so at least you have some idea of the precision that's happening. Pics are of one 5 shot group and one 10 shot group at 200Y. The 10 shot group was my first attempt at 200Y and as you can see I was hitting low. 

20210727_084651.1627408960.jpg
20210727_060006.1627409075.jpg
20210727_052909.1627409110.jpg

This one was at 175Y and this 2/3 IPSC is 1 foot wide. 6 in the head and 5 in the chest. The highest and lowest marks are actual holes in the steel that happened many years ago by a AR-15 (they look like hits from this morning but are not).

20210727_055931.1627409207.jpg

Next is 150Y. I hit the middle pattle on the 1st shot which made it swing out of the way so I had to aim lower then put 5 just below it.

20210727_052707.1627409529.jpg

Two 5 shot groups at 125Y. The bolt is about 3/4" wide.

20210727_055504.1627410284.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the outcome. This rifle and slug combo isn't super precise but there aren't big flyers either. 

Nice shooting. It seems that barrel harmonics make the difference. Very slight changes in even how you hold the rifle can make a difference. Real careful with trigger release and follow thru. Minor changes in hammer spring ( if adjustable) and of course testing in calm conditions. I think you have about 90% of it solved. The last 10 is tricky to get but you are showing some real world groups that look well what? REAL 

Thanks guys.

For got my phone with ballistic program so I put the wrong dope on so I hit low with 9.9 mils. dialed another .9 mil up for the center group. Wind was 1-2 mph coming from the left when I started so I held off .3 mil most of the time.

I confirmed my zero as well. Turns out .07 BC is what it takes to get the dope to line up perfectly out to 200Y. I ended up using a stepped BC below 750 fps of .055 to get 225Y dope right. Also I used a slight correction factor for tracking. I'll see how all that works out as time goes by but at the end of the session I took one shot at 125Y, 150Y, and 175Y and the dope was within .1 mil.

BB, this morning I played with holding the rifle normal and lightly against the shoulder, lighter seemed to help. Here's a couple 5er's from this morning at 200Y. Yep I'm trying to pull the trigger straight back and also following through. For an airgun this is a pretty heavy gun but compared to my centerfire long range rifles which are 16lb and 23lb it is lightweight and I can see the difference in how much extra weight helps holding the rifle steadier.

20210728_063118 1.1627486488.jpg

Wind had switched which I didn't notice so the 2nd shot missed left off the steel. so 9 shots from 225Y but the grass was obscuring the steel and I could only see the top third of it as well as not having an exact aim point. Fun times!

20210728_075015.1627486738.jpg

PM me about the 34mm EV adjustable rings. I usually dial up from the bottom 1/2 turn on the elevation turret, then zero the gun at 50 yards with the ring elevation adjustment. That gives me almost two full turns (20 mil) on that Athlon Midas BGen2 that you are currently using. I can dial out to about 300 yards. Of course the Cronus would be even better! ;)

PM me about the 34mm EV adjustable rings. I usually dial up from the bottom 1/2 turn on the elevation turret, then zero the gun at 50 yards with the ring elevation adjustment. That gives me almost two full turns (20 mil) on that Athlon Midas BGen2 that you are currently using. I can dial out to about 300 yards. Of course the Cronus would be even better! ;)

I ordered the EV rings from AOA earlier today. 

Wednesday I went to my friends place and shot at 250Y. My 4" pepper popper is up there on a steep hill. Long story short I only hit it 4 times in 20 shots. The wind wasn't horrible but enough that most of the time I shot to the left and the right of it even after correcting from the previous shot. A friend was spotting for me through a spotting scope and he knew I was correcting for wind as I shot, we were both laughing. IF it had been twice the size like 8" I would have hit it most of the time?!.

.07BC is showing it's worth by 250Y and so is the precision of the shooter and rig. I was surprised that it was that hard to hit. In contrast I hit the 5" square steel often at 191Y. I got it 5 times in a row and didn't miss much.

Holy moly, that’s some phenomenal shooting Steve! We know you can shoot but you know how many variables there can be with slugs, especially from 100 to 200+ yds. Those are some awesome groups!

I’ve been considering a new gun for a loooonng time, mainly considering a RW, DW, another RAW or an Uragan. I was just talking to Cameron about a RAW and Derrick the past couple days about the Uragan. I think I’m going with an Uragan. Everyone who owns one, loves it…They’re simple, reliable, accurate, powerful, have a high shot count, shoot pellets and now, I know they obviously can shoot slugs very well too! 

New Cronus too? Pretty great scope for the money aren’t they? I was really considering one when I got the Stryker but just wanted a little more magnification. Maybe in the future? Athlon is doing great things, all their scopes are great for the money! 

Great shooting bud. Have a great afternoon.

Stoti 

Thanks Stoti!

I've been cheating because I was going out at sunup with almost no wind. But yeah KINGY does shoot well. 

One time I tried SURELY at 210Y with the JSB 22 cal RD's on a full size chicken silhouette and "IT" wasn't happening. Like 1.5 foot groups. KINGY did a little better with 34 gr JSB pellets on that same chicken but not to an acceptable degree.

For whatever reason the EVOL 30 cal did decently well at 210Y with 44gr JSB but not near as good as we see in this thread. It had a fast twist as well but it wouldn't shoot the NSA 47.5 well.

I'm gonna have to get out and try 300Y sometime, maybe tomorrow??? 

Here's 300Y from early this morning. Wind was 1-3 mph coming from the right at full value. Honestly it felt more like calm to 1-2 but.....

My perfect no wind morning got spoiled because I couldn't hit the steel even after 30 rounds of aiming all over the place - waisted a bunch of time figuring what was going on because I couldn't make out any misses in the dirt and grass below the tree either?! I went down to 230Y which helped and saw that I needed .8 mil windage to hit the middle and I was hitting .5 mil high.

Went to 267Y and had to hold a mil of wind. I was still hitting high though.

Then to 300Y again after painting the steel. It took most of a magazine to finally make that very top left splat on the edge with 1.2 mil holdoff. It turned out that I needed a 1.6 to 1.8 mil right wind correction for center of plate. That was why I couldn't hit the plate at first, I was high by .6 mil and hitting left 1.6 mil.

So most of the higher hits were from the first mag to get an idea of how high and left I was on average. Then most of the hits in the middle were after dialing down to the center.

That 29gr .07 BC slug SURE blows ALOT in the wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might try again tomorrow.

20210802_064401.1627922022.jpg

Thanks 2LB and Knife!

I tried 300Y again this morning. I didn't bother taking a pic because 30 shots had 6" vertical and were 12" wide. Only needed 1 mil of holdoff for wind this time. General trend for an average was more like 4" tall and 8" wide. 

Knife, by 300Y these .07BC slugs are pretty well spent and blow so much in the tiniest bit of wind it's only a novelty shooting at this distance. I'll still take a few shots every once in while just for the fun of it but 200Y and less is where this combo of fps and BC shines. 

I did hit the 2" paddle in the middle of that particular steel at EDIT/150Y on the 2nd shot and then hit the one by the head on the 1st shot. That's pretty darn good.

I need more BC and speed like you have! I'm thinking of ordering some of those Altaros 25 cal slugs with the .2BC to try but the gun would need a more powerful tune if I were to guess. If anyone has 20 or so of them I could buy to try out I'd much appreciate?!