Long Range hunting sub-forum

If your pesting and most long range airgun hunters are it’s a different mindset. Your there to kill and or scare pests away from farms by any means. It’s better than poison. :)

Amen brother!

And thats exactly what we're talking about... eliminating vermin from farmyards and pastures not out wounding bambi with an air rifle. So much better than having poison spread around live stock and the farmers are smiling when they see me coming!

I understand where some of these guys are coming from but it's not about hunting ethics when eliminating pests from a environment they don't belong in...

James from Michigan, 

I think after reading this post, it sounds like a separate sub-forum is desperately needed. Long range is a different thing.

Here's my example - This post will sound like B/S or an exaggeration. Not so.....

I personally don't shoot at much of anything inside 100 yards. Even Squirrels. That's my closet target. Just a sub-MOA check really. 

I've been shooting at 175 yards the most lately. Not really that far with the right gun/slug combo. 

This last weekend I put down at least 30+ Ground Squirrels at 170 -190 yards, and another 5 or 6 just at or past 200. Obviously I don't count. 

Almost all of them were DRT. There's a reason for that. A powerful enough gun, and the right tested and proven HP projectiles. 

I'm a hunting ethics "ass hole" big time. I didn't build a special 75 FPE .25 cal. gun and develop a functional HP slug for long range just to hit paper.

It was to have an accurate and explosive at POI HP that would humanly destroy Ground Squirrels out to 200+ yards. That's done, and proven. 

Information I would gladly share. But, it's hard to share things like that, when someone has to tell you how great their pellets work at 0- X yards.

Next thing you know someone wants you to print some groups, because they don't apparently believe you can hit something that far consistently. 

And of coarse you'll get schooled on if you were a better hunter, you could get closer. 

By then that post is probably going sideways so bad that no one really cares to read about it anymore. -----------------------------

I wouldn't have ever posted a word about the Ground Squirrels I shot last weekend on the forum for the reason that this post was created. 

That's why I think it might be a good idea..................

Thanks for sharing that long shot. Agreed.

Now if we could just find out if its gonna happen or not.

If its not gonna happen I suppose ill just start starting threads in the regular section, and when the usual suspects show up to tell us our ethics are out of whack.....we will ignore them as best we can. And no-one will actually be satisfied.

Hi all,

i would like to chime in, if I may. I agree 100% that there should be a place for ppl to discuss and share information on long distance shooting whether it is for target or varmint. I, as an airgun enthusiast, would like to improve on my marksmanship skills with the tools I have and obtaining variable advice and information from those who has the know-how.

Just a few nights ago, I was searching the internet for other forums to visit and I came across the air gun forum UK. I signed up and introduced myself and received many welcomes. I then made two critical mistakes of posting my long range starlings pesting at 97 yards. The other big mistake was NOT knowing that European Starlings are a protected species in the UK. Needless to say, I was embarrassed and apologized repeatedly for the starlings video. However, I was shocked to received so many negative comments and criticism for the long range shooting being unethical, irresponsible and in-humane. I even mentioned that I practiced religiously at my target box from close range to my max range of 100 yards to ensure that I could hit my targets repeatedly with my skill level and my tool(FXCrown) BEFORE attempting any pesting shots at my permissions.

my point is there are always some people out there with their opinions about this and that. No one is wrong I guess, but just different viewpoint. So long story short I was banned from that forum two hours after signing up. Lol

Luckily this forum is different.

Max115

The reasoning for the Brits thinking it's unethical to pest at long range is most likely that their airguns are limited to 12fpe. At that power level the trajectory would be pretty loopy. The folks posting the negative comments were just suffering from FPE Envy a common malady in the UK

So glad I live in a country where the government doesn't restrict airguns or tell me what to think or what I can say

@PSI. Yes I agreed. I attempted to reason my opinion with them about ethical and accuracy with shooting longer range with FAC air gun. But majority of them had strong opinion against it. I think I upset them even more when I stated that someone with a 12 ftlb shooting at 10 yards could miss a rabbit’s vital and might not have the chance of a follow up shot before the rabbit escaped into thick bush. I asked “Would that be considered humane and ethical?” At least with a high power airgun, a starling would still die from the energy if clipped. Then MOD stepped in and gave me a long comment about penalty and their ethical views and so on and how he didn’t appreciate me posting or commenting long range type shooting. So I politely asked him to delete my account as I wasn’t welcome there.

nk harms done but I did learned valuable lesson nevertheless.

Haha thats funny. Welcome max...... I welcome you to 200 yards and all the starlings u can fling a projectile at!! “Have at em!”

no, its very funny to me because i got a sound beating when i first joined this forum for narrowly missing a woodchuck at 220 i think it was. I almost left, but then i got some encouragement from other folks here and stayed. Glad i did.

Now im realizing there are a select few members that cant help but interject on long range posts with their views. They are vocal and relentless. They seek these posts out and “plus one” each other like they gain something by spouting off. It near a point of pride how close their “far limit” is. Almost akin to how far a furthest kill is, but with none of the practice required. I no longer care what they think. And i dont care what they think about what i do.

I now know that there are plenty of people looking for info and advice on long range. Way more than are opposed to it. My inbox here gets some questions, but my utube comments/questions are dang near a part time job to answer. People want the info. I want to share it, whatever i know. And i love saying i dont know, but someone else probably does. I want this sub-forum to augment my learning as well. There is always someone better, and in my case there are lots of folks better im sure. Lets learn from each other!

Thanks max!

I consider long range to be any distance where external factors like wind, can cause a perfectly squeezed shot to miss the intended mark by about two MOA or more (just to put a number on it) if not compensated for. Assuming the equipment is tuned in. And on equipment......

Equipment has a huge effect on what is long range in my mind as well. Some platforms just aren't as accurate as others, and therefore prematurely engage long range classification. Here are some quick ranges i consider long for given platforms that own.

Breakbarrel spring gun: 40-50 yards

benjamin NP2: 50-60 yards

airforce talonss in .22: 75 yards

fx pcps : 100 yards (i would lump all the high end pcps into this category)

your definition may be different than mine but this is what i think when i think long range .

i would class 150 plus to be “extreme long range” So much going on.