Long Range hunting sub-forum

All in all I’m just saying that forums are a place to share opinions sure, but more importantly information. I feel like the chance to share information about long range hunting and shooting is being bogged down by relentless opposition to the idea regardless of shooter skill and dedication. Many of us are extremely dedicated.

Norm and I shoot beyond 150 yards literally 5/7 days a week with airguns, and have for awhile now. We have been going long for many, many years with powder burners, and have both taken game cleanly beyond 800 yards. I’d really like to share what we have learned with those hours put in, with the folks who want to hear it in a constructive atmosphere.

i feel like this could also get it “out of the face” of those who are opposed to it, and make them happier as well. Arguing amongst ourselves about what we each decide to do is a form of reigning in the crazies, but only to a certain extent. I think its time to move along with the sport and technology, and do it better going forward. Regardless of what a few may say, long range shooting is here to stay. Let’s discuss it and learn about it in a dedicated space!

While you have valid concerns it’s a bit reminiscent of trying to “legislate away stupid”. We cant make people do or not do irresponsible things.

But we we can teach them how to do it correctly in a “safe space “ without the thread being derailed each time.

All I’m asking for is a place to share information and hunts, and focus on that. Not focus on defending each shot a hunter takes.

If this sub forum did exist, a rule that prohibits bashing the action should also exist in my opinion. Same as a non hunter would be banned for posting anti hunting statements in the hunting forum.

True ! But we don't stop legislating because people don't obey legislation. I am not speaking to those such as yourself and Bob who are clearly good at long range consistency. Key word being consistency. 

I'm of the opinion that this type of forum should be approached with some concern. I have no problem with skilled individuals taking, and succeeding, in long shots at birds or game. Not everyone who watches videos and reads the text associated with those videos will end up becoming " skilled marksman's " just because others are. I get it ! It's up to individuals to know their limits with themselves and their equipment. Not everyone knows those limits.

Powder burners shot beyond their skill level seven days a week. I was a range master for 12 years for a large and well-known facility. Most weekend warriors can not even hit a 100-yard target with precision. These are the same guys going out on deer season.

Most folks learn by mentors. In today's times, part of that is video. I sure wish that was around 40 years ago when I started; it would have saved time, money, and aggravation for many. It is a great way to learn on so many different levels and topics.

There have always been pioneers who lead the way and still knuckleheads who follow.

I'm of the opinion that this type of forum should be approached with some concern. I have no problem with skilled individuals taking, and succeeding, in long shots at birds or game. Not everyone who watches videos and reads the text associated with those videos will end up becoming " skilled marksman's " just because others are. I get it ! It's up to individuals to know their limits with themselves and their equipment. Not everyone knows those limits.

Powder burners shot beyond their skill level seven days a week. I was a range master for 12 years for a large and well-known facility. Most weekend warriors can not even hit a 100-yard target with precision. These are the same guys going out on deer season.

Most folks learn by mentors. In today's times, part of that is video. I sure wish that was around 40 years ago when I started; it would have saved time, money, and aggravation for many. It is a great way to learn on so many different levels and topics.

There have always been pioneers who lead the way and still knuckleheads who follow.

You've proven my point. Some people who shouldn't be shooting long range do it all the time. Why encourage them to try even longer shots ?

All in all I’m just saying that forums are a place to share opinions sure, but more importantly information. I feel like the chance to share information about long range hunting and shooting is being bogged down by relentless opposition to the idea regardless of shooter skill and dedication. Many of us are extremely dedicated.

Norm and I shoot beyond 150 yards literally 5/7 days a week with airguns, and have for awhile now. We have been going long for many, many years with powder burners, and have both taken game cleanly beyond 800 yards. I’d really like to share what we have learned with those hours put in, with the folks who want to hear it in a constructive atmosphere.

i feel like this could also get it “out of the face” of those who are opposed to it, and make them happier as well. Arguing amongst ourselves about what we each decide to do is a form of reigning in the crazies, but only to a certain extent. I think its time to move along with the sport and technology, and do it better going forward. Regardless of what a few may say, long range shooting is here to stay. Let’s discuss it and learn about it in a dedicated space!

I agree with these guys. The more you do something, the better at it you become.

I can remember three years ago, when I started with my .22 DS Renegade, that 50 or 60 yards was a very long shot. But I kept at it, and before long 60 yards was routine, basically a chip shot, a "gimme". I now normally don't go over 120 yards with a .22 JSB 18 grain pellet, but have gone out to 200 yards with my .30 Bobcat and 44.8 grain pellets. In fact, I got two ground squirrels last summer at exactly 200 yards - luckily witnessed by more than one other person. ;) It still kinda freaks me out shooting with basically a mortar trajectory - yes, pellets BC isn't as good as slugs, but at long range they are both mortars - eight feet drop, ten feet drop, what's the difference? 

But back on topic, a long range sub heading under hunting would be beneficial to the community IMHO.

You've proven my point. Some people who shouldn't be shooting long range do it all the time. Why encourage them to try even longer shots ?

Do you not get it? This is exactly why we need a LR forum.

We're not encouraging anyone. If our activities pique someone's interest, great! Then we'll have the perfect environment in which they can learn and advance.

We're not encouraging anyone. If our activities pique someone's interest, great! Then we'll have the perfect environment in which they can learn and advance.

Of course your not directly encouraging anyone. Ultimately, it's up to the individuals free will if they want to take that long shot or not. I do see the point of having that kind of need for a long range forum. I'm not trying to put a stop to it ! I'm OK with the fact that some of my points I raised were validated. No need for anyone to get testy just because I explore an issue deeply. There is a saying that no matter how thin the pancake, it still has two sides. I might be from the SF Bay Area but believe me, I feel like a political foreigner around here and my views are of the minority. Especially when it comes t firearms.

Of course your not directly encouraging anyone. Ultimately, it's up to the individuals free will if they want to take that long shot or not. I do see the point of having that kind of need for a long range forum. I'm not trying to put a stop to it ! I'm OK with the fact that some of my points I raised were validated. No need for anyone to get testy just because I explore an issue deeply. There is a saying that no matter how thin the pancake, it still has two sides. I might be from the SF Bay Area but believe me, I feel like a political foreigner around here and my views are of the minority. Especially when it comes t firearms.

How do you expect these people to slowly learn about long range shooting as you suggest without this sub-forum? Is that not what this is supposed to be? A thread to INTRODUCE people to long range shooting? Never in any of Bobs videos or videos by anyone else for that matter have i ever heard anything that tells people you should start hunting at longer ranges. The videos are usually instructional and educate the people on how to better their skills in wind and on paper or to properly tune their gun to produce long range accuracy. You don’t take away educational firearms classes to keep idiots from shooting one another... you give people the instruction and knowledge to succeed and hope they use what’s given in a safe manner.

How do you expect these people to slowly learn about long range shooting as you suggest without this sub-forum? Is that not what this is supposed to be? A thread to INTRODUCE people to long range shooting? Never in any of Bobs videos or videos by anyone else for that matter have i ever heard anything that tells people you should start hunting at longer ranges. The videos are usually instructional and educate the people on how to better their skills in wind and on paper or to properly tune their gun to produce long range accuracy. You don’t take away educational firearms classes to keep idiots from shooting one another... you give people the instruction and knowledge to succeed and hope they use what’s given in a safe manner.

Well stated ! The key word in your first sentence was SLOWLY. The opposite of haphazardly. I guess we can't fix stupid when it comes to some people who shoot. I guess people will have to draw their own line in the sand when it comes to distances they will take the shot. Maybe we will see 300 yrds in the near future ? Also, I can't find anywhere in my replies that I accused anyone of telling people to start hunting at long ranges.

It’s pretty clear that no one is vocally, vehemently against a sub forum. I really hope that it can come to fruition, even though I understand that it might require extra effort and therefor place extra strain on our forum leaders/moderators. If there is the ability, I and at least a bunch of others....would greatly appreciate the space.

It’s pretty clear that no one is vocally, vehemently against a sub forum. I really hope that it can come to fruition, even though I understand that it might require extra effort and therefor place extra strain on our forum leaders/moderators. If there is the ability, I and at least a bunch of others....would greatly appreciate the space.

👍👍