• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

long range avenger shooting

just wondering if anyone has a suggestion to stretch out the range of my American tactical liberty nova 22.. I can get 2 inch groups at 160 yards but if I go back to 170 yards I pretty much miss a 24 inch target and it's all over the place.. the liberty nova is a prerunner of the avenger but it only has the tank gauge and the port adjustment like the average x.. so I have tried several different pellets, all similar results.. haven't tried lead rounds yet and I was thinking about trying lead slugs but I don't want to buy a box of ammo that I can't shoot.. does anyone have any suggestions on the caliber for the slugs? any other ideas.. I can easily hit the target with 22 rimfire at 1/4 mile but I really want to stretch out the airgun.. or am I just at it's limit?
Mark

I probably got mine from your recommendation! I bought mine literally a year ago. That is such a cool piece of technology especially for the price. Only downside is it can affect group size or POI since it attaches to the muzzle end.
I never attach mine. Just rest the muzzle there😅
I like the
"you all are so professional and charts and all.. my target was a 24" piece of plywood with a spray paint 2" dot and I propped it up on top of a 55 gallon barrel.. backed up with 1 gallon water jugs"

Man youd be lucky to even get 1/4 of that here..lol.
100y rack and crosman lids blackened taped on for a bulls. Thats top end stuff.
View attachment 366976View attachment 366975
Fun...is...fun🥴🎯
I make/find whatever to plink at 🤣🤙

I've found the "flatter" back slug vs dish base sling a touch better for me
that's what I was reading about too.. thinking I want to try slugs but I wish I knew what size for sure 21.6 or 21.7..
I just got to take the time and push a pellet down the barrel and mic it..
also thinking about trying lead rounds..
it's too bad we can't use regular bullets like the copper jacket.. like .17 in the Hornady rimfire and then well I don't know if they make a smaller one than 223 because that's too big.. I just think copper jacket is cleaner and they seem more aerodynamic.
Mark

I'd you don't know your speed but would like to know for $30, I highly recommend you get this chronograph

Yes some people lubricate the slugs for better speed and maybe accuracy.

Normally heavier is better for long range so the wind doesn't affect the ammo as much. Those redesign probably sail well but I know they aren't cheap haha probably similar cost to slugs.
🤣🤣I got the redesign heavy on sale.. I think 8 tins.. but the advantage over slugs is that being pellets they fit.. not knowing what size of slugs to buy.. if I try 21.6 might fall through the barrel and if I try 21.7 might get stuck.. at least that's probably my luck 🤣 I should have bought the complete set of pellet swagers for 177&22 back when I could get the kit for $50.. complete with all the different dies.. then I could potentially get a size too big and trim down.. I don't even know if they still have them as that was 30 years ago 😂
Mark

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
Honestly if you could squeeze out more wow, but 2" at 160 with that avenger/ nova is a heck of a feat in my book..
well I guess I was just wondering why I wasn't able to hit anything even with compensation at 200 so I just tried from where I could hit.. 10 yards at a time.. I was just hoping to figure it out and then be able to shoot 1/4 mile like I did with my 22 golden boy..
does anyone know if a different air rifle will shoot that far, but not the 45 cal airforce texan.. it looks like it kicked to much to be fun for me.. and so many of the airguns over 22 only have a few shots.. was extremely tempted to get the umarex gauntlet 30 caliber but it doesn't have any open sights and that really shrinks the selection of guns.
☹️ if you look through most places it's getting less open sights all the time..
Mark

that's what I was reading about too.. thinking I want to try slugs but I wish I knew what size for sure 21.6 or 21.7..
it's too bad we can't use regular bullets like the copper jacket.. like .17 in the Hornady rimfire and then well I don't know if they make a smaller one than 223 because that's too big.. I just think copper jacket is cleaner and they seem more aerodynamic.
Mark
Well I can't say whether or not to get them but they do exist! Copper Plated H&N

i think they also come in 14 ish grain called Target or similar too.

Well if you do end up with slugs you should buy soon cause of that 12% coupon and just order the sizes same time to save on shipping. I'd just go for .216 if you only pick one cause I've consistently seen that size recommended for Avengers but obviously it might need bigger like .2165 or .217. So maybe just get some of each. If you have pests the slugs that don't group well would still do really well way closer. Like 20 yards or so.

Someone else can comment more but I thought I heard if a slug shoots good groups close it will basically do the same size (with no wind ) further out cause they are spin stabilized and they fly straight and don't deviate much as long as they spin.

If any gun has a long picatinny rail you could get AR front and rear sights to put on if you really want the irons.

Reactions: markhooper
Mark
Copper you say?🥴
20230328_105120.jpg
20230430_153503.jpg
Like these shiny pups?🤪🤙

I like the
"you all are so professional and charts and all.. my target was a 24" piece of plywood with a spray paint 2" dot and I propped it up on top of a 55 gallon barrel.. backed up with 1 gallon water jugs"

Man youd be lucky to even get 1/4 of that here..lol.
100y rack and crosman lids blackened taped on for a bulls. Thats top end stuff.
View attachment 366976View attachment 366975
I just scored a giant box from work😅
Yesterday at the dollar tree; picked up a square wreath skeleton and a tiny wall rack for tool hanging. Got them stuck together. Gunna use the cardboard to cut up and make targets out of(just draw on em). Couple dollar build. Forgot to take pics making it😆
It's nothing spectacular; but it will most likely serve me well🤗🎩🤙

Copper you say?🥴
View attachment 367220
View attachment 367221
Like these shiny pups?🤪🤙
yes but they are still hollow base, instead of flat or boat tail..
I don't remember what all was involved but I remember going to a gun store and I knew the owner and he was proud of some 223 bullets made from used 22 rimfire cases.. I don't know how he made them but I assume that it was not just empty cases.. probably had some kind of press and I assume maybe lead inside?
would be nice if we could make our own slugs.. possibly not lead.. and not casting.. some easy way to make them good but cheap.. which combination probably doesn't exist..
I do remember 30 years ago when I got into PCP guns that there were resizing dies and press so you could put your pellets through it and have exactly the same size with everyone.. but I thought back then it was too much work for fun and well I guess I still do if it means putting them one at a time by hand..
cheap Walmart crossman premier.. here we go 🤣
Mark

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I don't remember what all was involved but I remember going to a gun store and I knew the owner and he was proud of some 223 bullets made from used 22 rimfire cases.. I don't know how he made them but I assume that it was not just empty cases.. probably had some kind of press and I assume maybe lead inside?
would be nice if we could make our own slugs.. possibly not lead.. and not casting.. some easy way to make them good but cheap.. which combination probably doesn't exist..
I do remember 30 years ago when I got into PCP guns that there were resizing dies and press so you could put your pellets through it and have exactly the same size with everyone.. but I thought back then it was too much work for fun and well I guess I still do if it means putting them one at a time by hand..
Mark
Have a gander here😉

Mark
Got me to digging...thinking this would be as.close as one could get?
Screenshot_20230624_224103_Chrome.jpg

thank you toasty.. I need to order some and see how they shoot.. are you going to get some and try them too.. hopefully they will work well and being copper jacket and not pellet skirt according to what I read they should be better.. but I guess we only find out by trying it..
thanks again 👍👍
Mark

thank you toasty.. I need to order some and see how they shoot.. are you going to get some and try them too.. hopefully they will work well and being copper jacket and not pellet skirt according to what I read they should be better.. but I guess we only find out by trying it..
thanks again 👍👍
Mark
I honestly have no intention of using them ...right now😅
I'd love to. But I'm in the broke money boat🤣
However I do have lots of other stuff/gear to test on hand.
Plan on getting through all(most) of that stuff before I get some more "experiments"🤞😆
....I might give in after a paycheck or two🥴🫠

I honestly have no intention of using them ...right now😅
I'd love to. But I'm in the broke money boat🤣
However I do have lots of other stuff/gear to test on hand.
Plan on getting through all(most) of that stuff before I get some more "experiments"🤞😆
....I might give in after a paycheck or two🥴🫠
I've got a few pennies 🤣🤣 but like you I need to wait for another paycheck or two.. and then some time to actually get to use it vs putting it away for later 😕
Mark