Long Range air rifle shooting

I know some of you like to push the limits of your Air rifles and Ted with his vid showed us how to do it with FX No Limit Rings.

With that I was reading about a gentleman shooting a modified Air Force rifle in a .257 caliber shooting out to 900 yards! Yeppers you heard me right over a half mile shot with an air rifle. Now, he is talking about adding some new equipment to improve his range and that equipment being a Cold Shot MOAB 300. This MOA Base will help you like the FX Rings but with 1/4 MOA adjustment from 150 to 300 MOA depending on which one you get. The good part of this it will allow you to go well beyond most of are shooting abilities the bad part it will cost you 400 bones!

So I had an idea thats a little cheaper then the Cold Shot MOAB but easer to adjust than the FX No Limits, HHA Optimizer which comes in two styles on for a CrossBow and on for the Rifle. The Stickers that come with it will not work for it but that does not mean you can't range thing out your self along with your MIL Dot scope or what ever your using to reach out there! Anyways just a shot out for any one that maybe wants to go all Extreme Range Target Shooting.

Good: FX No Limits $$80
https://www.precisionairgunsandsupplies.com/searchresults.asp?cat=182

Better: HHA Optimizer $$$150-200 (shop around)
http://www.amazon.com/HHA-Speed-Dial-Cross-Mount/dp/B004UOXLB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1447345615&sr=1-1&keywords=hha+optimizer

Best: Cold Shot $$$$$400
http://www.coldshotusa.com/index.php/products/moab-150

That half mile shooting is just incredible. Not so much the range, but the retained energy of the projectiles and the accuracy. At 900 yards, the broadside of a barn would be about the size of a Post-It note. That's an impressive shot, even with a powder burner. I believe he said that his goal for the off-season was to rebuild to improve accuracy, not range. 

HHA Optimizer Speed Dial.

I have been using the top version of this mount for a couple of years on the FX Elite with arrows.
A few months ago I put it on the little .177 FWB 300S 10 meter springer and shot some interesting 200 yards stuff at 650 fps with 8.4 gr JSBs. No pics but here is one of the mount set up on the FX Elite with 2X Kahles for arrow shooting.

Even with a 2X scope and sighted on the camera screen it is a deadly unit:

4 arrows shot group at 50 yards with 295 gr arrows at 280 fps mv:

Slow motion video of arrow at 50 yards:
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v392/Kyogle/FX%20Elite%2045%20yd%2040%20m%20300%20gr%20Gold%20Tip%20280%20fps_zpsixm1ypa1.mp4

Slow motion of 40 yards shot on a Federal .22 rimfire bullet box.
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v392/Kyogle/FX%20Elite%20arrow%20shot%20at%20RF%20bullet%20box_zpsefqsnckm.mp4

It is a precision instrument which I am able to zero at a chosen range and then click the scope for other longer or shorter ranges bracketing the zero range. ............ Hope you find this of some interest. ... Kind regards, Harry.

Some approximate ballistics.
1000 fps 92 gr , say BC 0.20

POI velocity approx 550 fps
POI energy approx 60 fpe
POA above target with 100 yards zero unaltered would be approx 60 Yards above the target. But though not stated the sight would be elevate by mounts and clicks or mil dots to allow for POA much nearer the target.
Bullet drift in a 5 mph wind would be around 3 yards
Time of flight would be around 4 sec +/- . Sound from target back to shooter position would be a little under 1 sec which matches the difference in POI visually and the sound of impact in the video.

60 fpe is plenty to fold flatten the bullets to the extent shown. ............ Harry.

Its not something that has interested me until recently.
I've always been happy to stalk in to 30-40 yards or so but recently I've been annoyed by starlings and indian mynas rarely allowing me to get within 60-80 yards.

So I plan to start stretching my shots out with the royale .22 cal with optisan mamba lite
I have a decent range finder 

How far out should I expect to get using this scope with non adjustale mounts?

cheers
eco

"ecoshooter"

So I plan to start stretching my shots out with the royale .22 cal with optisan mamba lite
I have a decent range finder 

How far out should I expect to get using this scope with non adjustale mounts?

cheers
eco

If it's the 4-16X you should be able to comfortably get sight to 125 yards from a 50 yard zero from 880 fps with 18.1 gr JSB Heavy. You will still have plenty of fpe energy left to drill those birds, or a bunny.
That outfit could be stretched to 170 yards with a little judicious shimming of the mounts so that a 50 yd zero is nearer the bottom of the vertical adjustment to make full use of the 50 moa click range.

This is when sighting with the centre cross hairs. If it has mil dots or chevrons you could then get out even further.
Of course this all depends upon how well the dovetail aligns with the barrel. ... kind regards, Harry.

Has anyone tried using a Vernier sight like we use on our long range black powder cartridge rifles? I have shot my Shilo Sharps rifle at a 1000 yds. using one and still had plenty of sight left. My 45/70 fired a 520 gr. bullet at an ave. of 1160 FPS. This could by done with an airgun. We were hitting a bowling ball size target at the 1000 yds. pretty regularly. While these sights aren't cheap ( about $700. for a high quality one )for the front and back set, they would be less than a premium scope and mount setup. It is amazing how far away you can see a small target through the eyepiece on one of those sights.

Has anyone tried using a Vernier sight like we use on our long range black powder cartridge rifles? I have shot my Shilo Sharps rifle at a 1000 yds. using one and still had plenty of sight left. My 45/70 fired a 520 gr. bullet at an ave. of 1160 FPS. This could by done with an airgun. We were hitting a bowling ball size target at the 1000 yds. pretty regularly. While these sights aren't cheap ( about $700. for a high quality one )for the front and back set, they would be less than a premium scope and mount setup. It is amazing how far away you can see a small target through the eyepiece on one of those sights.

Yeah it would be great fun to try those sights on an airgun.

I have a group of acquaintances that are state champions in AA class BP Silhouette so I'm a little familiar with those rifles and sights. They got old and have transitioned to vintage scopes because their eyes got so bad using irons. 

Something that's similar is BP rifles and AG's is pellets and cast bullets blow immensely more in the wind compared to smokeless powder firearm's using modern projectiles. You could use an AG set up like a Sharps as a trainer rifle. When my friends shoot in a match I see them calling windage and corrections in full minutes most of the time instead of increments of minutes because of the excessive wind drift! That alone was very interesting to me. I was using vintage military rifles and my corrections were much less, basically half what they used.