• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Long Range 125 to 150 yd shooting with .177 Springer and 16.2gr pellets

I happen to shoot very heavy 177 pellets and the two heavy pellets that I found to be on the smaller size and fit easily into my RWS 48 Springer are

the 16.2gr Exact Beast Diablo and the H&N Sport "Sniper Magnum of 15gr each. Yes I am sure .177 cal.

I am shooting at soccer ball size targets and after 25 years of airgun shooting I was shocked and surprised at how much better the trajectory

and retained energy was when using these super heavy pellets. My guess is the heavy pellets were probably designed for PCP rifles

but I think they are superb in my RWS 48 side lever springer. I tried three or four other brand/model of super heavy 177 pellets but they

were larger and would not fit easily into my chamber. I never realized there were different sized 177 pellets but I found two great ones

that work well in my springers. Has anyone else here tried the super heavy 177 pellets in there rifles ? What was your experience ?

For everyone here shooting .177 I suggest you try these heavy for caliber pellets. You will be surprised as I was. One last thing... These

pellets are much quieter than normal 8 gr pellets due to the slightly reduced velocity which might be the difference between supersonic

and subsonic..( at least in my cheap beater 177 that shoots gangbusters when I lubricate the spring piston. )

These super heavy 16.2 grain pellets have a pretty aerodynamic shape and I would not be surprised if they did not have a better Ballistic Coefficient than

any pellets in the larger caliber sizes of .22 or 25 etc. This would explain their superior long range trajectories..... and clearly at the higher velocities

of the smaller calibers, the wind deflection would be a lot less as well.

quote:

I used to shoot very heavy pellets in my Diana 48. I was told that the heavier pellets might add too much stress to the spring, seals, etc.

///////////////////

I have a fifteen year old cheap Daisy/Winchester break barrel 177 beater air gun that I squirt a few drops of oil into the piston chamber for lubrication

to try reduce wear on the seals and discovered that the oil ignites and my pellets go supersonic with a loud boom. That has to be a hundred times more

stress than a heavy pellet and it does not break with cheap sourced parts etc compared to a German name brand airgun.

In fact my good accurate gun is a RWS 48 which I shoot the heavy pellets with and I think is the same thing as the Diana 48 you shoot.