Long or Short

I have been reading and drooling about short rifles like bullpups. Im trying to be sure because I worry about not caring for the comfortable hold of a pup. My shooting is 80 percent walking around shooting offhand. So their compactness sounds desirable, even thou I haven't shot one. I had a cricket mini ordered but the order fell thru because of a damaged stock. They seem like a morph between the two. But Im too tempted to order a Wolverine because of the price. I shot all of the Daystates at the Daystate demo AOA had a few years ago. And I have never shot a off the shelf rifle as well as I did the Wolverine. But it's soo long with a moderator on it. 

What length works best for you? Do you have a measurement in mind at which it switches from "short gun" to "long gun". For me that measurement is around 34". Anything 34" and under is a nice short gun, but once over 34" things start getting too long for me.

I've done the bullpup thing with a Veteran Shorty. It was an amazing gun but the rear cocking eventually killed it for me. So for me anything bullpup needs a mid cocking lever. 

The current Wolverine prices are very tempting though. I have a new Brocock Sniper XR on order, but have considered switching that over to a Wolverine at the current pricing. But yeah - that extra length.

I shoot a bull pup from the wrong side. Mine is a almost-rear cocking side lever. I use mine primarily for pest control and do not find the rear lever any different than i do any other bolt or side lever gun. I don't work the action from behind the scope. I also have a Marauder and a P-rod that I don't cock from the shoulder.

I do have Hatsan Flash carbine, straight bolt action. I can work that from the shoulder, but usually don't.

oldsparky I have 4 bullpups the one that felt the best in my hands was the cricket mini but had to return it back to the dealer because of a crack in the stock also . Were you ever able to hold it in your hands ? My marauder with a craftsman vit stock also feels like the mini . Mine all require a single point sling because they do not shoulder good elsewise something else to remember too . They get heavy after walking around with scope & any other attachments . I'm also not sure about the shorter Edguns but want to try one out bad . Maybe ask if someone on here lives close to you so you can try theirs out . My Edgun long although a bullpup handles nicely also but is a little longer than the rest of mine . Its a gamble if you have no place to handel them but I like um. Good luck with your quest darell

Out a truck window or off a bench bullpups are great. In the field not so much. Bull fans rule the ag world. Simple fact is long is easier than short, bore and scope distance matter much more in the field than off a bench.

For a woods walker i say put up with long, or just get a handgun. 

Mod edit: removed unnecessary insulting comments. Please review the 3 laws. 

I currently own a Taipan Vet, standard length in .25. I previously had the Short version, which personally for me was too short. I'm 6'1" with relatively long arms, I was too restricted in my hold with the Short. Before I sold it, I had a buddy shoot it, he's tall like me, and he used his support hand on the end of the air tube. Without thinking, part of his hand was in line with the barrel. Luckily, I stopped him before he pulled the trigger.

Another benefit with a longer barrel is better ballistics.

Wildcat gets my vote, and it’s your lucky day. There’s a sweet one, a WARCAT, in the classifieds at a good price. it’s a Wildcat all dressed up for war, lol.

I am not the seller, just wanted to make that clear. But, I like them so much I own both a 30 and a 25, and if I had gobs of stupid money I’d buy that Warcat just to say I own one, lol.

I'm a wildcat fan too! Mine is .177.

1583139903_4129905245e5ccc3fabbc37.23498305_46B9091F-2F22-46E3-9461-3CD2C718D025.jpeg

1583139988_4162224165e5ccc94482f13.92433482_1972C3F7-6910-463A-BA63-654598347604.jpeg

Buy your top 3 picks used at a good price and sell the one/ones you don't want. so you get little to no financial loss.

Or make a trip to a larger airgun business and make a vacation out of it.Try out whatever they carry. 

I'm not hot or cold on bullpups but I don't like single loading one with the loading port far back. I like repeaters more.

I sold my Cricket and bought an Impact, once the problems were fixed(hint) I liked the Impact a lot better. The Cricket failed also BTW.