• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

long life hand pump?

I've owned many but Hill MK1-3 were the only Ernest Hill ones. I had no luck whatsoever with any Benjamin pumps. I love Crosman & liked the guys at Sun Optics, but tolerances on a Benjamin's were sketchy. I had to rebuild the Benjamin and friends at least 20 times. Any Hill it was always #005 replacement & general service. 

E69D1431-0269-4B42-8567-033CC67C853D.1617781593.png
7146FE95-1E44-4741-8A5F-F6CEBD251339.1617781594.png
E56EEB9F-5B70-4C2B-AA77-25C2DAFE2C7A.1617781595.png
0D03A62B-D459-46EC-9A21-814D2F3446B8.1617781596.png
672F3EEF-AB08-498D-90FB-187DBBBD1A0C.1617781597.jpeg

ive had my benjamin for over 12 years and its served several guns nonstop with zero failures .. but then again i dont sit out there all day everyday shooting out multiple 500 tins of pellets a week lol ... that said, its worst enemy is moisture, and im sure with any pumps it is, learn how to break them down lube and dry them out .. i have a couple of new sets of seals for my 12+yo benjamin pump but havent replaced any yet lol ...

Thanks for the recommendations. Well, although I should have probably got the Hill I ended cheaping out. I bought a 4 stage Amazon pump. It took some pumps but got up there while it was over 3500 I could feel the pump getting warm. I should have stopped a bit longer to let it cool or slowed the pumping. This pump topped off the 480 from. 200 bar to 250 bar in about 12 to 15 mins. I'm basically doing this just so I can conserve my air in my big tank and shoot a little longer. Well it did not take very long to burn up the unit. I got about a dozen top offs. I probably could have used the reseal kit to repair but decided to buy another. When I went to buy another pump I realized that I bought a $160 pump. Ouch. I decided to try a cheap 3 stage instead $60. Just pumping it with the end of the hose capped off I can tell that it delivers more volume than the 4 stage as I can get over 4000 psi with about 23 pumps. It does seem to have more leaks though as it will not maintain 4500 psi for a long period of time.

I've owned the original (Yellow) Hill nightmare pump, the 2st FX Blue pump ( 2 of those and the second one had a gauge reading 70bar LOW so I over filled every rig in the house, fun but stuff does happen) and a "Vevor" pump which was to be the AV G4 but...... . Purchased the Vevor from Mike Melick for $110 (?) delivered, cheapest pump sold in the U.S. at that time. Used it, lent it out to several people at least one of whom shot a LOT (a tin a day+) and the darn thing is still flawless after 5+ years. A screaming value at that price and these day's $50-60 https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Airgun-Pressure-Stirrup-4500PSI/dp/B078V1RM4F

As it has never needed a thing other than some drop of silicone I cant swear to the tolerances but it HAS been used a lot whithout issue so it seems they must be good enough.

It is also the easiest to use with apparently the same fill rate as others.

I also could help but buy the $21.00 to your door pump that was on sale last month (how could folks resist? And I no longer even use a pump) and haven't even put it together but just one stroke (and hey just 1, it will break in) sure seem rough feeling, who knows but I suspect tolerance are not as good as the Vevor.

At least on mine it beats the FX gen 2 and hill MK III(?)-tried a friends- hands down even if priced the same.

LOVE my Altros Booster, yes um

John

I'm looking for a durable long life hand pump that won't burn up with a lot of use for high pressure. Some suggestions would be great. Hoping to find something that will go to 4500 and not burn up while doing it.

Thanks 

Allen

I've been using an ebay $45 one for two years now and not one issue. Still on the same set of seals even, although it came with a spare set as well. The key IMO is to go SLOW and use lots of silicone oil. Heat and friction is the enemy of these and why they usually fail. Use a good oil/moisture filter on your line to catch the extra oil, and keep your pump shaft and seals well lubed. It usually takes about 100-120 pumps to refill my guns completely so I typically do 50 then stop for a couple minutes to let it cool, then 25 and a break, then finish.