Long distance hunting shots over 125 yards. Ethical or not?

I really don’t have much to add other then to say I’ve hit starlings and pigeons WITH SLUGS at rather reasonable distances and had them fly off to i’m sure die a slow death. 

I forgot to add to my past comment, that of course you can miss or scratch (at any distance), and you are totally right, what I meant is that the % of kills is far larger with slugs than pellets @ long distances, and if is a solid hit is a switch off IME (Like CC hit in the belly).. (I put that in another similar post, I thought I did that here also but your comment make me realize that i didn't )

I forgot to add to my past comment, that of course you can miss or scratch (at any distance), and you are totally right, what I meant is that the % of kills is far larger with slugs than pellets @ long distances, and if is a solid hit is a switch off IME (Like CC hit in the belly).. (I put that in another similar post, I thought I did that here also but your comment make me realize that i didn't )

Good point. I also think it depends on the animal or bird that you are shooting. Birds die pretty easily, as do rabbits. But my normal quarry is one tough little animal. I've seen direct hits just a little low of the vitals, with a .30 cal. at 80 FPE muzzle and target at 75 yards, and the squirrel still ran back into his hole. And I'm pretty sure that a .22 or .25 slug at that distance doesn't have more energy that the .30 cal. pellet. So I guess it really also depends on what you're shooting... ;) 

Good point. I also think it depends on the animal or bird that you are shooting. Birds die pretty easily, as do rabbits. But my normal quarry is one tough little animal. I've seen direct hits just a little low of the vitals, with a .30 cal. at 80 FPE muzzle and target at 75 yards, and the squirrel still ran back into his hole. And I'm pretty sure that a .22 or .25 slug at that distance doesn't have more energy that the .30 cal. pellet. So I guess it really also depends on what you're shooting... ;)

You are right CC! BUT the hollow point will deform the slug transfering probably more energy...anyway nice debate! ;)
That is a damn hard little quarry!!! .30 and still running, probably not a direct hit, a direct hit with a 30 cal will split it in a half! (I have done it with feathers)... for sure are exceptions, and we all probably have shoots that we regret! (on varmint I do not think about it much, to tell you the truth, different scenario on table food)

There are lots of folks who can't hunt. There are also lots who could care less if the animal suffers. I'm not sure what makes the difference but it's an interesting subject to consider. I have a fraternal twin brother who I don't think would shoot at animal unless it was to absolutely stay alive or to help some one else stay alive. I grow up shooting sparrows with my BB gun (for the challenge of the hunt ) . I've been ask the proverbial question "who is the evil twin? " I'd have to honestly answer that I am. It's my opinion that this is something that is nature not nurture my brother and I have many things in common but he has NO interest in hunting and very very little interest in guns. He thinks the NRA is a bunch of rack pots and listening to the recent news it would be a bad time to debate that with him.

This goes well past ethical hunting but hunting is part of it. It's also a subject which has been debated since the beginning of human kind.

My 2 cents: use the right tool for the job! If it’s a pest,rodent, etc. I don’t feel it’s unethical to take longer shots on these pest’s hence the term pesting!, if you feel you might not make a clean kill at longer ranges than don’t take the shot! If it’s over 125yds I use my 17hmr, I have killed large woodchucks out to 150yds with it, if further than that- out comes the .223 ackley improved-400yrds plus out comes the 22-250 ackley improved 1-7 twist shooting 80gr berger’s if your in a populated area don’t know what to tell ya?