FX Lock this thread please- Discussed with Fredrik, there is no evidence of POI shift in FX barrel liner system

The fact that a pinch clamp does not dimple the barrel was my point. I was agreeing with you. I was joking about how a heavy muzzle choke would hide the effects of damage to the barrel, due to grub screws "pressing through" a thin soft barrel.

You asked why split clamps are not used. I suggested that while that would be superior, chokes made it possible to get away with grub screws.
Roger that.

Reactions: subscriber
I know you want to close this but I would like to add something about the whole tension bandage. You have to watch how you tension a barrel. Tension a real barrel with a barrel nut, that’s one thing. Tension a barrel using a couple different components made out of materials with different heat or cold expansion rates, you are right back to POI shifts. And possibly a gun that has an even narrower window to harmonically keep it happy.

I know you want to close this but I would like to add something about the whole tension bandage. You have to watch how you tension a barrel. Tension a real barrel with a barrel nut, that’s one thing. Tension a barrel using a couple different components made out of materials with different heat or cold expansion rates, you are right back to POI shifts. And possibly a gun that has an even narrower window to harmonically keep it happy.
Also, with the FX system and tensioners, you really are only tensioning the outer tube that the “barrel” sits in, thus not really tensioning the barrel. Unless you lock all of the various components together, your not really doing anything to the liner.

I discussed with Fredrik that perhaps as the new platform of Panthera etc. in which the liner is inside the plenum or the cylinder will help fixing the POI shift. But he really advised that in reality there is no issue of POI shift. Rather its just the dirty barrel that results into shift. He advised to clean the barrel.

That is why I shared his advise considering that it might be useful for other users. But I see from the responses of many seasoned airgunners here that they do not consider this shift to be due to dirty barrel.
Fredrik is an ignorant.

I have cut the chokes off a few 600’s and made them 500mm. Why? Harmonics. Let’s just say after so much testing, I couldn’t even stand the thought of shooting an Impact for a month. Testing proved I could get decent accuracy, but the choked standard and heavy had an edge. I read once where someone said that Dubber dude stated no choke, no hope. He’s a metal straw guy so he speaketh the truth. Two of my M3’s wear real barrels now. Why? Because a fowling or tiny lead streak choke barrel can be as accurate as a real unchoked barrel, but not as consistent. I’ve been saying for years, most POI shifting issues are more choke related than flimsy barrel related. Most but not all. If you are a pellet FX guy and have POI issues, as long as you don’t have a bad liner with a lead file for a choke, it can be fixed without buying any do dads for the barrel system. Your gun is assembled on a bind or you need to dot all your I’s and cross all your T’s when you assemble all the barrel parts. Interesting topic here for a change. I need to read more of it after your post I quoted.
Hi Vetmx , I'm a bit confused now ; what's the effects of cutting off the choke from a liner ? better accuracy or consistency when shooting slugs ? I know normal rifled barrel has no choke to shoot slugs ; is it the case with liners ?
Thanks

Air Nation.JPG

Absolute JUNK.
I found paper inside my new barrel.
I used a 40" long , hardened stainless steel rod and a quality lapping compound and I lapped my brand new barrel.
My Ryobi hand drill cranks out 15,000 rotations per minute.
The barrel was full of "gunk" and even contained small pieces of paper they must use for shipping purposes ??
I reinstalled the new barrel, torqued it back down to 100 ft. lbs, and its shooting projectiles all over the place.
Ill never buy another one of these.
NEVER.

Custom-Warranty-Void-If-Seal-Broken-Or-2479516597.jpg

toothpaste-tube.jpg

The fact that a pinch clamp does not dimple the barrel was my point. I was agreeing with you. I was joking about how a heavy muzzle choke would hide the effects of damage to the barrel, due to grub screws "pressing through" a thin soft barrel.

You asked why split clamps are not used. I suggested that while that would be superior, chokes made it possible to get away with grub screws.
id like to point out that where the grub screw sets, there is no rifling, and the bore is significantly oversized .224’ish. you would have to really be going gorilla to squish it enough to hurt pellet..