• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Located a Firing Range that Accepts Airgun Owners

I am super happy. I've been trying to find a real shooting range for about a month. My first inquiry to a local range produced no reply from my email. But today, I wrote the President of the High Desert Rod and Gun Club, that have facilities just down the Morongo grade from Yucca Valley, about 20 or so miles from me. The President said that there were no restrictions, as they treat airguns just like they do firearms, and that i would be welcome. Their fees are $5 for members, and $10 for non-members. Yearly membership is $50.

So, anyone who is interested, who lives in the area, just needs to drive up during operating days/hours, and find out just what else is required,other than the money. I plan on going tomorrow, weather permitting, if nothing else, to do a reccie mission.

Website is http://www.hdrgc.org/index.html

CaleyAnn

PM, I copied the following from their website

ON THE RANGE:

THERE ARE 10 STATIONS TO SHOOT FROM.

The range layout consists of 10 shooting lanes, covered, with benches and room for standing or prone positions. Portable target stands are available to utilize at the 12 1/2 yard range, with fixed stands at 25, 50, 100 yard marks.

Rifle - Fixed Target Stands at 25, 50, 100 yards With Bright Orange Steel “Clinkers” at 200 and 300 yards.

Pistol - Fixed Target Stands Located at 15, 25, 50 and 100 Yards.

10 Covered Shooting Stations with Seats and Benches for Both Rifle and Pistol.

Not all ranges are created equal. This may not be a large one, but it seems to cater to all the different types of shooting. It's just a matter of being able to get a shooting position, and to follow the rules set up.

What this means for me is that I will have to shoot my rifle at 25 yards, with is about double what I thought I would be shooting at, which is 10 meters. I'm sure that I can sight in my Daisy Avanti 853 to shoot that distance. It will just take me a while to get used to the distance.

I shoot at Lee Kay in Salt Lake. Until this year, I was restricted from the 100 yard range. 25 and 75 yard range, no problem, but the 100 was off limits.

That changed about a month ago.

In their defense, it was considered a safety issue. The 75 yard range is a traditional range where cease fire's are called, everyone steps away from the bench and guns are inspected to ensure when you go down range, nothing bad happens.

The 100 yard range uses a pit at the end, so you are setting targets while bullets are flying overhead. The concern was that a pellet could drop into the pit or trench, injuring someone setting a target. I believe the concern was legitimate. The Range Manager worked to rewrite the rules to accommodate me and other airgun shooters on the 100 yard range. So, a big thank you to Blanche, the range manager for all the help.

Only been able to shoot out there once since the rule change, but intend to go back very soon.

Most ranges don't care, but some have legitimate reasons / concerns about air rifles. Imagine writing the rules, even if you say it must be a PCP, I have PCP's from 3.7 FPE to 50, and while I'd never use the 3.7 on 100 yards, someone else would. .22 wasn't allowed until this year either as a shooter with sub-sonic .22 short could drop a bullet into the pit.

They want to keep me safe and I'm perfectly willing to work with them to keep us all safe.

Saltlake58, Glad they have come up with a way for you to shoot longer distance. I understand rules, and always abide with them. It may be that the shooting range in 29Palms has not answered because they do not allow airguns because they consider them a safety issue. I would have thought, if that is so, they would have at least replies to my query.

But it seems I have found a range that is open to the public. 29's is private, and you have to pass tests to be accepted. This one, even though open to the public, I hope has set some safety rules that are posted. They have range officers to control things, so I would think so.

Hope you get more time on the longer range. CaleyAnn

Might get a chance to go later today. Wife and I do "Elder Care". My father is 94 and requires round the clock supervision. (He doesn't think so, but we disagree!) time shooting is so precious, just don't get enough.

by the way, glad you found a range. It can be tough in populated areas to find a place to shoot. Even in Salt Lake, you might drive an hour or more to find a spot of open desert these days. When I was a kid in Boise, Idaho, 10 minutes out the freeway to Blacks Creek Road. Ground squirrels by the millions from there to the Nevada border. Now, it's all houses.

SaltLake58, My recce mission was a success. The shooting range is fairly small as compared to others I've seen pictures of. But it is laid out nicely. I think I will use it when I have the range fee. Right now I am fairly poor until payday.

I got to watch 10 people square off in the monthly 50 yard competition. Though one was actually shooting at 100 yards with a larger bore rifle that was very loud. Don't know what it was, so I can't tell you. Since I am pretty hard of hearing, when the awards were handed out, I couldn't understand much of what was said, but apparently several people were recognized for the type of 22 rifle they used, or gender (there were two women), or beginners (two there also). As far as I can figure out one of the women won one trophy, and a guy won the other trophy using a 22 rifle that had a skeleton type stock. Again, don't ask, I don't know what kind of rifle it was. All I know is I enjoyed watching through one of the spotter scopes.

I did take my rifle to get help with the scope. We eventually figured things out, that I needed to seat the scope farther forward in order for my pupil to get the proper relief, so I didn't have that tunnel vision. I also found out I can raise the scope a little so that I don't need tweezers to insert the pellet into the breach. I found a scope rail on Amazon that will allow my Daisy to be able to accept the larger type 7/8 inch ring bases. These seem to be the only type rings that allow for the higher or offset sights. So, I am waiting on this mounting rail to show up before I start working with the rifle. No point in zeroing in the scope, only to have to do it again because things have changed with the higher scope mount

I hope you and Wife got some trigger time in. I know how it is caring for a parent. Did that when my Dad was in the hospital for heart problems, and had to care for my Mom who was suffering from Alzheimer's. There just wasn't any time to do anything else, other than the two days my Sister relieved me each week.

I finally made it to the firing range I mentioned above. I paid my fee, and got my target. Unfortunately I didn't know the fine details of how you do things, and laid out my pellet rifle, which I was told is a no-no. You lay out your gear after everyone has put up their targets, and only cross the red line after the SRO tells everyone the range is live. I crossed the red line again, but that was because the gentleman who was tutoring me stopped, and I failed to notice I was still within the red line. I didn't do that again. and made sure no one corralled me inside the line while talking.

I really did enjoy myself after I got a few pointers. Initially I was shooting at a paper target at 25 yards, and could not locate where my pellets were landing. The gentleman next to me said I was way low, almost off the cardboard backing, and a little left. He tole me to just shoot the same distance up and to the right. Once I understood his methodology, I started peppering the inner two target rings. I shot that way for a round and a half, about 20 shots. 

On the last round I decided to play with the scope to try and figure out how adjustments affected where the bullet hit. I deliberately went the opposite way to see just how much difference there was from the previous shot. I then just cranked in enough over three shots to where I was basically even with the target height wise. I didn't have enough time to adjust for right and left, but managed to move it a little closer, nearly putting the last pellet in the first pellets hole. I was just 1/4 inch off. Tells me I need to crank in about a full half turn to the right to be hitting center.

Everyone there was wonderful. They knew from what I told them that I had been away from rifle shooting for 30 years, and all had wonderful suggestions to help me out not only shooting, but also with range safety. And they all said that I was doing very well hitting the target. I thought I was pretty bad, as my groups were about 4 inches in diameter, though half were inside the first ring. I got two in t he bull eye out of 40 shots I fired. Thew firs 10 were completely off the paper target. The rest at least hit somewhere on the target. Well, except one. The gentleman next to me said I hit the metal upright. Now I know I was aiming where he told me, so I am guessing I had a really bad pellet, though I cannot figure out how it got 15 inches to the right, when I had all the others missing slightly to the left. Guess I could have lost consciousness. LOL!!!!

Anyway, I am definitely hooked for doing at least another round next Friday. Hopefully I will zero in the scope, and start trying to hit the center, versus my struggles of just getting the pellets on the target.

I also discovered the GAMO Match Classic Training 7.56gr seems to make my rifle happy. One exception to that statement is that some pellets were more difficult to chamber than other. I think the pellet diameters might vary a tiny bit. But the rifle generally hit pretty close to where I aimed even with the pellet feeling a bit over sized.

The range I shoot at is about the same way. You can shoot for 15 minutes, then they call a Cease Fire long enough to retrieve targets and such. While in a Cease Fire, no one is allowed near the bench.

Protocol on 75 yard range is 

• Call a Cease Fire
  • Inspect all arms for open bolts, no magazines, clear breaches
  • Allow everyone to go downrange and set or retrieve targets, no one is allowed over the black line. (good reasons for that and I've seen people argue with the RO's about it. Stupid to argue really!)
  • Go live for 15 minutes
  • Do it all over again.

The longer range (100, 200, 300 yard) doesn't do that. It's more of a military style with a pit at each distance, so you set targets with bullets whizzing over head. No Cease Fire's on that range.

You get used to it after a while, so just keep going. Eventually you'll get to know the RO's and they'll want to know if you are shooting, cause it's so quiet, how long did you wait for the moderator permits (not a PB, so not under NFA), and they'll be amazed that you can shoot bulls at 100 yards. Really kinda fun.

Keep it up and you might even convert a couple of them!

Have fun!