local buy/sell/trade forum function.

Just wondering if this forum might consider a local type of buying/selling/trading similar to the classifieds?
I realize there are other options out there,but I don't use FB or the marketplace and avoid Craigslist.
I am also aware that it may be asking too much of whoever lays out the forum and has to moderate.
I'm just old-school and prefer cash or physical transactions wherein one is welcome to test the product on hand without worry of being taken advantage of.
any thoughts on this Idea or perhaps it is in the works ?

I would have thought that a good idea until I started exactly that among my 60+ member TEXtreme airgun competitions email list about a month ago; the idea being airgun horse-tradin' among a pretty close-knit bunch of like-minded friends completely devoid and immune from scammers and idiots.

Unfortunately Maggyy's List has been received with an impressive YAWN. To translate- not worth the trouble.

Reactions: Scotay42
Just wondering if this forum might consider a local type of buying/selling/trading similar to the classifieds?
I realize there are other options out there,but I don't use FB or the marketplace and avoid Craigslist.
I am also aware that it may be asking too much of whoever lays out the forum and has to moderate.
I'm just old-school and prefer cash or physical transactions wherein one is welcome to test the product on hand without worry of being taken advantage of.
any thoughts on this Idea or perhaps it is in the works ?
I like the idea. I am at the point where it is more hassle than it's worth to ship stuff, especially guns. Have a nice D34 I want to sell but don't want to hassle with shipping.

would have thought that a good idea until I started exactly that among my 60+ member TEXtreme airgun competitions email list about a month ago; the idea being airgun horse-tradin' among a pretty close-knit bunch of like-minded friends completely devoid and immune from scammers and idiots.

Unfortunately Maggyy's List has been received with an impressive YAWN. To translate- not worth the trouble.
Gotcha. Perhaps if you left out the E-mail part? and just told folks at a gathering "next gathering bring stuff you want to trade or sell" might be at least a couple out of the 60 who would have interest?

Gotcha. Perhaps if you left out the E-mail part? and just told folks at a gathering "next gathering bring stuff you want to trade or sell" might be at least a couple out of the 60 who would have interest?
I did that from the get-go of my competitions (3 years ago), and have done a couple reminders since. No response(s).

I did that from the get-go of my competitions (3 years ago), and have done a couple reminders since. No response(s).
Dang, that is a tough crowd. I suppose If I use the classifieds here I will just state up front "local only,Feel free to come by and test." and be on the lookout for similar posts.

Dang, that is a tough crowd. I suppose If I use the classifieds here I will just state up front "local only,Feel free to come by and test." and be on the lookout for similar posts.
That's probably your best bet. Maybe limit your hour or drive time to meet if you are willing to travel. Shipping us a killer now days, and everyone has their own interpretation of "condition or shape" of said item. Good Luck!

Reactions: r1lover
Local is only as good as the community within a given radius. Some places are hot beds for air gunning, others are not. Shows seems to be a boon for buying/selling, but those are few and far.

For those intimidated by shipping, yes it sucks. But I'd recommend looking into Pirate Ship as others have similarly suggested. The rates are much more reasonable, and as long as you have the packing materials, scheduling pickups or making drop offs is a cinch.

Reactions: wgd and CharlieF
So I thought I would browse through the current people on line here, in hopes of sorting out some folks from TX.(local thing)
Anyway what's the deal with the 6 pages of Bots? indexing,webcrawling,data mining.
seems a little nefarious. or at the very least overkill.
Being Texan, so naturally helpful, I'd like to help you. But I don't know WTH are Bots? indexing,webcrawling,data mining!
🤠
🤤

But I don't know WTH are Bots? indexing,webcrawling,data mining!
If you go to the forum tab,then the members online and click "more" there is a list of tabs.Members ,guests but at the end is Robots.
6 pages of indexing webcrawlers.
I just thought it was funny that sometimes when I log in to AGN that I get a message about user accounts being hacked.
Makes me wonder about a "bots" trustworthiness.

"Makes me wonder about a "bots" trustworthiness."

Oh, I'm sure you can trust robots. Any talk of A.I. exterminating Mankind is just conspiracy theory...

Until it leaks out that Big Tech has been conspiring with Hollywood to develop man-killer robots for a decade now!😲 Paranoia is not, when it's Reality.
I like the way you think.
I'm sure we all love and trust Google=) I don't use microsoft windows or google and run a Linux(Manjaro Distro).
but if you click on one of those Bots here you get this bit of info:
Googlebot is the generic name for Google's two types of web crawlers:

You can identify the subtype of Googlebot by looking at the user agent string in the request. However, both crawler types obey the same product token (user agent token) in robots.txt, and so you cannot selectively target either Googlebot Smartphone or Googlebot Desktop using robots.txt.

Local is only as good as the community within a given radius. Some places are hot beds for air gunning, others are not. Shows seems to be a boon for buying/selling, but those are few and far.

For those intimidated by shipping, yes it sucks. But I'd recommend looking into Pirate Ship as others have similarly suggested. The rates are much more reasonable, and as long as you have the packing materials, scheduling pickups or making drop offs is a cinch.
also You can buy a hard case , they come in a box , send to the seller to package your gun . Yeah more postage but better guaranty of safe travel .

If you want to sell locally, initially run your add "for pickup only" and list the town next to you as your location and offer to drive as far as you are willing to meet a buyer. If you still want to sell it and nobody nearby is buying, amend your add and include a shipping price.

I'd prefer to sell locally but I won't drive to meet a buyer just to begin negotiating the price. I know people like to negotiate and feel like they're getting something but I'm a lousy negotiator and don't like that game. I won't ask more for something than I am willing to sell it for and I likely won't sell it for any less. I'll send a ton of pictures and if a potential buyer wants to negotiate on the phone, they can try, but once I leave the house the price will be firm. The old "You don't really want to not sell it and take it back home with you, do you?" won't work with me. If a buyer really doesn't like what I am selling after seeing and handling it they are free to thank me and leave but don't make me a counter offer to what we agreed on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Varmint101
Some of the other forums I'm a member of have regional classifieds, and it does work out. One of the powder burning gun sites I'm on is a state specific site, I always make it a point to put in the subject about where I'm located. I hate clicking on an ad and finding out that it's five hours away.

IMHO, the classifieds here should mandate that users post their location in the subject. There's plenty of ads I've run into where people will not ship, and some don't do PayPal. I've chosen not to buy a gun from someone who had a great deal because I wasn't comfortable sending a money order to a random person.

I sold my first springer on Craigslist a couple of months ago and posted the Seneca Dragon Claw I have posted here on Craigslist. The Seneca was flagged within hours, while the springer was up for two weeks before it sold. 🤷‍♂️