Local Airgun Store (Return)

Very, very true. From what I’m seeing, the bullpup or carbine form factor is what I’m truly looking for.
Agreed, next PCP was FX Wildcat MK3 .30 Sniper. Made minor mods to Gauntlet, that your G2 comes standard with, but foolish, in my opinion, to waste $$ trying to change the basic design to be what you really wanted. WM

I've always preferred carbines to rifles, and one of my 'most favoritest' of favorite carbines is the "semi-bullpup" Brocock Bantam Hi-Lite; specifically in .22-

Bantam.JPG

Unfortunately it's a discontinued model.

Although 100 yards is quite a stretch for a 30 foot pound .22, this target documenting three consecutive five-shot groups at 100 is some testament to my Bantam's capabilities. At fifty yards it tries to keep all shots touching, often successfully.
1683826460842.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: swNCsw
I've always preferred carbines to rifles, and one of my 'most favoritest' of favorite carbines is the "semi-bullpup" Brocock Bantam Hi-Lite; specific]cally in .22-

View attachment 355687
Unfortunately it's a discontinued model.

Although 100 yards is quite a stretch for a 30 foot pound .22, this target documenting three consecutive five-shot groups at 100 is some testament to my Bantam's capabilities. At fifty yards it tries to keep all shots touching, often successfully.
View attachment 355689
I absolutely love mine as well haha. I could have saved a lot of coin if I knew what I know now lol.

Have some fun with it! DO google "umarex gauntlet baffles" or such, Many many options out there at value prices. Research QB78's , that is your trigger and can be really outstanding. You might enjoy the "plunger mod" for the trigger, I went super light single stage as in ounces and still pases a drop test.Cocking should be able to be done with your thumb on the back of receiver and one finger or something is amiss. My neighbor had pulled so hard (likely pulling to the side also?) he slightly bent the bolt, one precision ( LOL ) smack with a hammer and one finger cocking. This bent bolt was common on some years of QB, think Golden Joe Troller. A lot of your noise may be due to being over sprung? And with slight work they fit right in an QB stock saving a lot of weight.
Not sure on GEN2 but the 1st NEEDED the ABRUPT edge in the chamber edges knocked down.
Put another $25 and 25 minutes into it and it will still be long but a value rifle.
Gauntlet.JPG

John

Reactions: swNCsw
Have some fun with it! DO google "umarex gauntlet baffles" or such, Many many options out there at value prices. Research QB78's , that is your trigger and can be really outstanding. You might enjoy the "plunger mod" for the trigger, I went super light single stage as in ounces and still pases a drop test.Cocking should be able to be done with your thumb on the back of receiver and one finger or something is amiss. My neighbor had pulled so hard (likely pulling to the side also?) he slightly bent the bolt, one precision ( LOL ) smack with a hammer and one finger cocking. This bent bolt was common on some years of QB, think Golden Joe Troller. A lot of your noise may be due to being over sprung? And with slight work they fit right in an QB stock saving a lot of weight.
Not sure on GEN2 but the 1st NEEDED the ABRUPT edge in the chamber edges knocked down.
Put another $25 and 25 minutes into it and it will still be long but a value rifle. View attachment 355737

John
Wow! That’s some good info. I’ll have to do a little digging and find the things you’re talking about (all Greek to me at the moment lol). Hopefully all the things you talked about aren’t too buried.

Who knows, maybe the Gauntlet will become the bastard child I come to love…or you guys will see a post in the classifieds soon.

Reactions: Treefrog
Keep the gun and after you get what you really want, invite a friend along to go shoot and let him handle and shoot the G2. He may decide he loves it and offer to buy it from you. You were never only going to own just one PCP, anyway. Also, check out Hajimoto's website. He has some really cool stuff for the Gauntlet

I’m new to the PCP world and got the itch so bad yesterday that I went to a local airgun store set on leaving with something. They didn’t have exactly what I was looking for, but I ended up walking out with a Gauntlet 2 in .22. As soon as I got home, I fired one pellet to see how “friendly” it would be in the backyard. Pretty dang loud, not a huge deal.

Fast forward to today and I am not happy with my purchase. I’m sure the G2 is nice for a lot of people, but it ain’t me. It’s looong, heavy, the bolt is heavy as hell, and I’m just not happy with it. I went up to the store after work today and asked what the return policy was. The salesman looked at me like I had a lampshade on my head. Am I crazy to think that I should be able to return this airgun? He took down my name and number and said he would have the owner call me to discuss.

What is the general consensus regarding a situation like this? The airgun is still essentially new. For reference there was nothing specific said when I was purchasing about returns or lack thereof. No signs in the shop, no info on the receipt, etc.

I’m interested in other people’s experiences.
I have read through this entire thread and I think I agree with your assessment that you would like a bullpup or carbine much better. While I can make the G2 over 1 pound lighter, install my sidelever cocking system, and muzzle it with a dedicated moderator but by the time you implement these changes, you are pretty close to straight-up buying another PCP that has the feature set you now know you want.

There are two roads in my opinion:
  1. Sell the G2 and recover some of your investment.
  2. Keep the G2 as part of your collection and purchase your second PCP by applying what you have learned thus far.

If you are looking for an entry-level affordable bullpup, carbine, shorter and lighter, consider one of these:

• Beeman 1358
  • Umarex Notos
  • Gamo Urban

Again these are only three choices and there are many many more but they are worth looking at if you have a budget constraint.

The last piece of advice, before you start looking, start with a budget first, only look at what you can truly afford, and be sure your budget is as much as you can swing, typically the more money you have to spend, the more product options become available to you. Before you "pull the trigger" again, I would suggest that you look through the PCPs available online and narrow down two or three choices and then ask here, allow us the community to do what we do best which is to help guide folks to the well walked path.

Good luck!

I’d keep the Gauntlet for now. Do some research here and elsewhere and get a better idea of what’s available and pricing. More importantly get a good idea of what you want to do. Pesting, plinking, target shooting? I don’t know of any single gun that does everything well. Probably why I have too….I mean so many😁. You may warm up to the Gauntlet, I bought one through the classifieds here and had to get used to it but I enjoy shooting it.

Rick H

I’m new to the PCP world and got the itch so bad yesterday that I went to a local airgun store set on leaving with something. They didn’t have exactly what I was looking for, but I ended up walking out with a Gauntlet 2 in .22. As soon as I got home, I fired one pellet to see how “friendly” it would be in the backyard. Pretty dang loud, not a huge deal.

Fast forward to today and I am not happy with my purchase. I’m sure the G2 is nice for a lot of people, but it ain’t me. It’s looong, heavy, the bolt is heavy as hell, and I’m just not happy with it. I went up to the store after work today and asked what the return policy was. The salesman looked at me like I had a lampshade on my head. Am I crazy to think that I should be able to return this airgun? He took down my name and number and said he would have the owner call me to discuss.

What is the general consensus regarding a situation like this? The airgun is still essentially new. For reference there was nothing specific said when I was purchasing about returns or lack thereof. No signs in the shop, no info on the receipt, etc.

I’m interested in other people’s experiences.
I don't have an air gun shop anywhere near me, so I buy over the internet. With that said, I have a Hajimoto tuned G2 in .22. I have to agree that the bolt is hard to pull but have found that after several hundred shots it becomes a bit easier and I do mean "a bit". As for accuracy, this gun is a tack driver out past 50 yds. and have had very satisfactory results around 75 yds. Not to shabby for a 22 shooting 15 grain JSB pellets. Hajimoto actually recommended the JSB 18 grainers for this gun. Another up side to the G2 is high shot count. I'm getting around 80 shots before I have to top off the air.
So, you may want to get a little work done and some trigger time on the gun. I think you might find it to be more than satisfactory. As for returning it, you will more than likely lose a good deal of $$ doing so.

I started off with a Gauntlet 2 in .25 cal.....I ended up doing a lot of mods to it. I milled off that molded barrel band on the forearm, took the barrel off and put it in the lathe and squared up the muzzle end and re-crowned it, smoothed out the leade area in the chamber end, enlarged the port hole and polished the edges took out the trigger and polished the sear and relaced the springs and readjusted it. Removed the plastic baffles and spring, machined new baffles and machined a new end cap with threaded cap and last but not least...installed a Hajimoto kit with the new poppet and hammer spring and adjuster, drilled the hole in stock for hammer spring adjustment, removed the bolt and polished it on a scotchbrite wheel and smoothed out the inside of the bolt channel.... I've got about 550.00 invested in it and have no regrets buying it as I knew what I was getting before I bought it....to tell the truth, it shoots almost as well as my new MK3...LOL

Reactions: 17dean