Loaned out rifle doing work

I'm always advocating the airgun hobby to friends. My buddy came to me with a problem with squirrels at his house. One of them bit his dog, and they were digging under his fence, making him concerned his dogs could get out (small dogs.)
So I gave him two of my best backyard protectors. Both are extremely accurate and I strictly take head shots. I told him in the suburban area its important to keep the kill in your own yard. Both shoot AA 16gr at 550 FPS.
Artemis PP700SA Carbine
Custom build 2250 Carbine

He wants the PP700 bad. I mistakenly did a price sheet of what it would cost him to build it out the way I have it. I was shocked I have 800 dollars into that little platform.:oops:

Pp700
223​
Stock
23​
Donnyfl Sumo
150​
DonnyFL adapter
39​
Huma reg
89​
Scope
229​
Rings
50​
Grip
14​
817​

He took out two the first day he used it. Dropped them both cold.

The rifles

On a deer hunt in 1988 an older man I did not know but who was friends with the people I hunted with joined us and brought along his new, scoped Beeman R10. I had a 10 year old HW35 at home so we had lots to talk about. He was rightly proud of his R10 and, despite not knowing me, left it in my care with instructions to "shoot it" while he returned to work for 3 days!

I am ashamed to say I would not have done the same for him if the shoe had been on the other foot. His kindness opened my eyes to the latest level of spring gun performance and upon arriving back home I immediately purchased a new .20 cal Beeman R1 with all the goodies I could get with it and retired my lackluster performing HW35 to the closet.

Had it not been for him I may never have parted with the kind of coin it took to elevate my airgunning experience.

I am indebted to you old man. RIP.

Last edited:
On a deer hunt in 1988 an older man I did not know but who was friends with the people I hunted with joined us and brought along his new, scoped Beeman R10. I had a 10 year old HW35 at home so we had lots to talk about. He was rightly proud of his R10 and, despite not knowing me, left it in my care with instructions to "shoot it" while he returned to work for 3 days!

I am ashamed to say I would not have done the same for him if the shoe had been on the other foot. His kindness opened my eyes to the latest level of spring gun performance and upon arriving back home I immediately purchased a new .20 cal Beeman R1 with all the goodies I could get with it and retired my lackluster performing HW35 to the closet.

Had it not been for him I may never have parted with the kind of coin it took to elevate my airgunning experience.

I am indebted to you old man. RIP.
You did do something for that old man… keeping his memory alive in yours…. The privilege “to freely give and share”… is priceless, and is proven by your memory of that man.

I'm always advocating the airgun hobby to friends. My buddy came to me with a problem with squirrels at his house. One of them bit his dog, and they were digging under his fence, making him concerned his dogs could get out (small dogs.)
So I gave him two of my best backyard protectors. Both are extremely accurate and I strictly take head shots. I told him in the suburban area its important to keep the kill in your own yard. Both shoot AA 16gr at 550 FPS.
Artemis PP700SA Carbine
Custom build 2250 Carbine

He wants the PP700 bad. I mistakenly did a price sheet of what it would cost him to build it out the way I have it. I was shocked I have 800 dollars into that little platform.:oops:

Pp700
223​
Stock
23​
Donnyfl Sumo
150​
DonnyFL adapter
39​
Huma reg
89​
Scope
229​
Rings
50​
Grip
14​
817​

He took out two the first day he used it. Dropped them both cold.

The rifles

best thing is never look at prices and add up .

Reactions: Florida_Man
Obviously, you need to really know the person, and the situation they live in, to lend out an airgun, but there's more. I have learned, the hard way, that, depending on the gun type, and experience of the shooter, you have to watch every move they make the first time they shoot your gun. People will double load a pcp between the blink of an eye. Most of the time, the shooter themself, didn't realize that they just double loaded a pellet. If I were to lend out a PCP, these days, it would only be with a single shot tray, even if the lendee knows what they're doing because they might let someone else shoot it in your absence. It's good to be nice but it's great to be careful.

I hear ya, about lending guns to people. I went cottontail hunting n took my friends son. No experience with springers, I loaned him my German RWS 34 in .22. Before I cld give him a 101, he cocks it n fires, cringed n the look I gave him said it all. I told him , don't do that, you'll blow the seals out. He apologized n was embarrassed, geez I wanted to tune him up. Long story short, if you're not experienced no touching.