• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Loading port for HW97

I am interested in buying a HW97 but am concerned about the size of the loading port. I have large hands and have found it very difficult to load my TX200. I am hoping that someone here with large hands has experience with the difference in loading the TX200 and the HW97 if there is any. I love shooting my TX200 but the hassle of loading pellets takes the fun out of the shooting outing.

I have medium hands and find loading my TX200 difficult as well. I'm sure pellets get distorted occasionally in the process that can affect accuracy. While I'm not a hunter, I would not choose this difficult loader for that purpose. While not as easy as a break barrel, the HW 97 is no problem. I agree with others the chamber/barrel is higher in the port.

I have owned both and agree with everyone else. The 97 is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to load than the TX200. With the large loading port, I could cock the rifle with my right hand, load a pellet with my left hand, and then with my right hand still on the cocking arm (kept it there as a precaution) close up the rifle - a nice quick cycle. With the TX200, I have to cock the rifle with my right hand, switch to my left hand holding the cocking arm (again, for safety), load with my right hand, move my right hand back to the cocking lever, use my left hand to release the bear trap, and then return the cocking lever. It's a pain compared to the 97.

I had the same concerns when i was looking for a underlever. It was between HW and TX, the bigger port seemed obvious, but was still undecided cause a lot of folks had their ports nearly or completely covered with scopes. The 97 was out if stock, so AOA gave me a higher priced 77 for the same price. I purchased a compact 4-12x44 scope so it wouldn't be near the port. The loading isn't any problem with my big fingers, as much as the little .177 pellets and rolling them ti be put in the port, plenty of room. And like anything, the more you do it.