• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Loading Altaros slugs in the Panthera

I've been shooting the .22 ATP King's in my Panthera. I've noticed after ~100 rounds or so that chambering the slugs becomes more difficult. I think I've determined it's because the breach o-ring dries out, even the probe alone is more difficult to close. Lubing that oring fixes the issue for another ~100 rounds. I use Krytox gpl 205.

Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas other than periodic lubing of that oring?

I've noticed the slugs are not really lubed from the factory. I don't usually do anything special regarding washing or lubing slugs. Maybe this is an exception? An email back from Altaros said they haven't seen this problem, but their M24 barrel does not have a breach oring.

I use GunZilla on all my projectiles (pellet & slug) it has never decreased accuracy, and in some cases increases accuracy. But in all cases it significantly reduces fouling up in most barrels, and in your case it will likely help keep your o-rings lubed too!

I just spritz the foam inside a of a pellet tin then roll the projectiles around a bit before loading. 👌

I use GunZilla on all my projectiles (pellet & slug) it has never decreased accuracy, and in some cases increases accuracy. But in all cases it significantly reduces fouling up in most barrels, and in your case it will likely help keep your o-rings lubed too!

I just spritz the foam inside a of a pellet tin then roll the projectiles around a bit before loading. 👌
Have you compared it to Ballistol? Both are CLPs.

Yes, I normally lube my Altaros slugs with lemon pledge. But I tried a couple boxes dry and experienced what you stated.

Allen

I tried Altaros queen slugs dry, fouled up the barrel in just over 100 rounds. So definitely need lube! Will try pledge also.
IMG_4596.jpeg

Reactions: zer0dev
I happen to have some HBN, what methods do you use to apply it to slugs?
I put each batch of 110 in a large plastic Petri dish with 1/8 teaspoon HBN and then rock it on an orbital shaker for 45 minutes at a low speed (around 20rpm). Just enough to allow them to roll. I put them in straight from the package without any cleaning.

Reactions: Ed99
I spray regular WD-40 on a paper towel, then fold it, then roll the slugs inside it back and forth for 10 times or so, then poor them into a clean pellet tin. It applies a thin even coat and this pretty much eliminates leading.

This works much better than one would think! After a couple hundred shots just pull a few patches through the barrel with a patch worm and the barrel is clean again.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Personally, I shot for several years without oiling (lubing) our slugs, but recently I started lubing especially for the long versions of the ATP Super King 59 and 67gr. It is possible to shoot without lubrication, but by lubricating you can increase the time before it is necessary to clean the barrel.
I personally used the classic spray from Balistol for a long time, but I also tried the Power Air Gun Oil and both worked very well. The advantage of Power Air Gun Oil was that it is, at least for me, gentler on the skin and is less greasy, so the slugs are easier to hold in the hand when loading into the magazine.
Greased slugs also have no problem achieving a consistent muzzle velocity, although there could be some variation with large temperature fluctuations. (I haven't recorded this yet, as I haven't had the opportunity, fortunately, to shoot at -20C for example)
photo_2024-01-24_19-33-41.jpg

Used airgun Altaros M24 .223 and slugs ATP Super King 59gr

Reactions: Macros