• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Little shooting buddies

I've got two sons, Colben (9years old) and Cabe (5 years old).

When he was around 5 years old Colben started coming with me to field target match camping weekends. For the first summer he used this Benjamin Discovery....
PXL_20230502_235953139.jpg

PXL_20230503_000253184.jpg

The modifications to the stock are pretty obvious. Cut out a section and added some hardware that makes that section replaceable, or able to be omitted, effectively reducing the length of pull for a little guy.

Colben graduated from that DIsco after the first summer, and has been shooting a Vet Short for the last couple years. The kid can hold his own in a silhouette or field target competition. The DIsco got put away and has been shot very little for the last 3ish years.

Fast forward to two weekends ago. I'd been promising Little Red (Cabe) that he could come with Colben and I when he turned 5. And that first camping/airgun weekend happened. He came with, mostly just tagging along. He didn't shoot anything, but sure wanted to.

So on the Tuesday after we got back, I pulled the Disco out of semi-retirement. I took out the stock section and had to remount the scope. We got Little Red set up and dude was knocking down a rat on the run target at 30 yards within his first 10 shots!
PXL_20230503_003120068.jpg

PXL_20230503_004315751.jpg

I had to go back to work the next day, but he begged his mom all day to let us shoot that evening when I got home. All said and done we shot on Tues, Weds, Thurs, and Friday nights after work. I worked Sat and Sun, 14hr shifts so getting home long after dark. I'm back at work today, and my wife just texted me saying that Little Red has been bugging her all day about when I get home, so that we can shoot again. Shooting is about all he's talked about for the last 6 days. He's already talking about shooting in a match. If nothing else, dude is pretty persistent and quite enthusiastic about airguns.

Here's all three of us from one of those evening last week.
IMG_20230508_101232.jpg

Kinda fun to have little shooting buddies.

I've got two sons, Colben (9years old) and Cabe (5 years old).

When he was around 5 years old Colben started coming with me to field target match camping weekends. For the first summer he used this Benjamin Discovery....
View attachment 354705
View attachment 354706

The modifications to the stock are pretty obvious. Cut out a section and added some hardware that makes that section replaceable, or able to be omitted, effectively reducing the length of pull for a little guy.

Colben graduated from that DIsco after the first summer, and has been shooting a Vet Short for the last couple years. The kid can hold his own in a silhouette or field target competition. The DIsco got put away and has been shot very little for the last 3ish years.

Fast forward to two weekends ago. I'd been promising Little Red (Cabe) that he could come with Colben and I when he turned 5. And that first camping/airgun weekend happened. He came with, mostly just tagging along. He didn't shoot anything, but sure wanted to.

So on the Tuesday after we got back, I pulled the Disco out of semi-retirement. I took out the stock section and had to remount the scope. We got Little Red set up and dude was knocking down a rat on the run target at 30 yards within his first 10 shots!
View attachment 354708
View attachment 354707

I had to go back to work the next day, but he begged his mom all day to let us shoot that evening when I got home. All said and done we shot on Tues, Weds, Thurs, and Friday nights after work. I worked Sat and Sun, 14hr shifts so getting home long after dark. I'm back at work today, and my wife just texted me saying that Little Red has been bugging her all day about when I get home, so that we can shoot again. Shooting is about all he's talked about for the last 6 days. He's already talking about shooting in a match. If nothing else, dude is pretty persistent and quite enthusiastic about airguns.

Here's all three of us from one of those evening last week.
View attachment 354710

Kinda fun to have little shooting buddies.
atta boy dad! Get 'em started on the right foot!

Priceless, my goodness the smiles show the joy… Thank for making me laugh out loud at Little Reds enthusiasm for shooting. I wonder where he gets that from?
lol, yeah his enthusiasm has been the joke around my house for the last week. Colben has always enjoyed it, but is just a much more laid-back kid. Little Red is downright urgent in his desires to get some pellets downrange.

Keeping both those boys stocked in pellets and air while we're shooting feels like herding cats. They can sure burn through some lead! and they're both single-feeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon
lol, yeah his enthusiasm has been the joke around my house for the last week. Colben has always enjoyed it, but is just a much more laid-back kid. Little Red is downright urgent in his desires to get some pellets downrange.

Keeping both those boys stocked in pellets and air while we're shooting feels like herding cats. They can sure burn through some lead! and they're both single-feeding.
The cost for just feeding your sons must be up there, then there’s college down the line. For me it’s all about “the next generation” families such as yours, help me keep the faith.

I’m glad to see you teaching them so well and that they enjoy it so much. My wife’s nephew is teaching his 8 year old to fish and hunt. This young man enjoys both and is learning so much at the same time. The way so many things are going off the rails these days this all makes me more hopeful for the next generation. Well done!

Rick H.

just wait " Dad im going to shoot your gun now " OR buy me a gun just like yours so i can compete better .
Funny you say that, cuz that's exactly what happened with the oldest son and the .20 Veteran. He considers it his now. And it WAS my favorite, back when it was "mine."