Little semi-auto AEA backpacker harvests it's first squirrel.

H&N Barracuda Hunter Extremes going about 950 fps. 25-40 shots depending on the velocity spread (distance). Today I had two 1/2" groups at 35 yards, standing using the door frame for steady support so I'm pretty happy with the accuracy too.

The little Backpacker folds up nice and small and is relatively light (5lb, 6.5oz.) I've got a crap Tasco scope mounted on it right now that I'm still evaluating.

1588017250_4134946405ea73862a47327.21732126.jpg

1588017274_5193623055ea7387aa9b303.84381191.jpg

H&N BHX's do an impressive job at those velocities. 

Entrance wound.

1588017611_3385784325ea739cb95b803.92683503.jpg

Exit wound.

1588017638_17432579735ea739e6aecb50.30926370.jpg

13" barrel. Length folded with mod off is 20".

Here's a couple 33 yd. groups I shot earlier today, standing using the door frame as a rest. They were supposed to be three shots but I miscounted.

1588027061_21459250755ea75eb565efd5.19976217.jpg

Had one issue with it. The rod that cycles the action popped off. It was not screwed in far enough to the handle. I loctited it and screwed it back in but I'm not confident I got enough thread depth. It was really hard to turn in. If that doesn't hold I'll strip it apart and drill the hole clear through the rod and retap it and add a locknut to the backside. Hoping I don't have to do that. 

The semi-auto action adds some recoil. It might be more hold sensitive because of that. I need to shoot more groups to evaluate. For now I've been using the springer artillery hold. 

I have to say I'm totally sold on semi-auto. So much fun and burning through ammo by the can. :)

Whoops. Forgot to mention the other issue. The trigger effort was 8 lbs! I took it apart and polished it and replaced to trigger and sear springs with much lighter springs. That got it down to 2 lbs, 4 oz. but yielded a surprise...full auto!!! It emptied the mag in what seemed like one second!

I put the original sear spring back in and it feels like about 4 lbs...but I didn't measure it. I'm going to look for a spring between those two but it is livable now.

Any trusted reputable dealer to buy from? Who will actually back up the warranty? YO!

This .22 Backpacker is doing 880 fps with NSA 20.2 gr. slugs so about 35 fpe. If I recall the HP Varmint, with 21” barrel does more like 43 fpe. Probably do better with JSB Monster heavies but the slugs end up winning the power battle down range and the hollow points are devastating.

At this point I wouldn’t bet on warranty work but I’ve had good service with the Ebay supplier. This is my second AEA from him. First one was delivered with incorrect magazine. He immediately sent out a replacement and told me he’d send two more when production in China was back running. He just sent 4. The original ad for this rifle said it would come with a 450cc CF bottle. It arrived with a 350cc CF bottle. He said that was a mistake and he’d send me a 500 cc bottle.

I bought the 2nd one because of of how he handled the mag issue and because that one has been my most accurate with slugs. I tried slugs in this one and while they were accurate I got a lot of magazine jams...one that required me to pound the slug back into the mag. I’m going to experiment with modifying the magazine and increasing the lead chamfer to see if that makes it run slugs reliably. If that doesn’t work I’ll custom 3D print my own mag with a design I know works more reliably with slugs.

who makes it and what is power level ?

update OK I found them on ebay , china made , one is only 3 pounds and says 18in LW barrel and 1000fps , wow , So whow is build quality ????? first I hear of them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AEA-Precision-Rifle-22-HP-Element-The-Lightest-PCP-In-The-World/143554427591?hash=item216c82bac7:g:XGEAAOSw9Etem3KT

I know exactly the one you are talking about. Crazy light. Lots of carbon fiber. It is in my watch list. 😉

The general quality is considerably better than Umarex or Hatsan but there have been issues. I’m hoping they smooth those out and develop a presence in the U.S. market. The parts are assembled with knurled press pins which isn’t ideal for multiple service tear downs but the actions are simple and easy to work on.

One nice thing is the barrels are a decent thickness and mounted with 3 allen screws to the receiver. I haven’t experienced any POI shifts.

Oh...one other thing is less than ideal. The stock tube is fitted into the receiver and also retained with two knurled pins. The bearing surface is a little short and with the necessary clearance for installation it has more freeplay than I like. I tried shimming it but that only helped a little bit. I’m thinking of other solutions short of epoxy because I think that tube will need to come out to service the hammer.

How's the trigger? Is it adjustable?

Nothing is adjustable. Trigger required polish and spring replacement to get it to what could charitably be described as hunter/plinker level. I have no problem getting nice tight groups from it but it isn’t something that you could get below 3 lbs on the semi-auto version (read my post above about the surprise full surprise full auto mode.)

The Hatsan’s I’ve seen have steel bodies that looked like they were carved with a dull chisel. They weigh a ton. Umarex was better but on my Gauntlet the barrel support holes were mislocated.

The AEA guns use a machine alloy casting for the receiver. The machining looks generally good. But, there were screws not torqued properly on mine and sharp edges that shaved the fill probe o-ring seals.

The action is very simple. The magazines are your basic spring loaded affairs like you see with FX or Benjamin. The semi-auto function is driven by a delrin piston that runs inside the shroud and attaches to a long rod that pushes the cocking lever. The cocking system contributes to it being quieter as it vents air before the pellet leaves the shroud.

Not all the guns they make are semi-auto. The HP Varmint isn’t, nor is that ultralight CF “Precision” model.

Yes. The Terminator and Precision use similar mags. The Varmints and Backpacker a different type. I almost bought a Terminator when they were first on sale for $750. They went up $250 dollars shortly afterwards. I was waiting to find out what power they were capable of... different websites had different numbers...up to 200 fpe. It ended up being more like 140. The Terminator is pretty heavy compared to the backpacker. I recall 9 and a half pounds. 

How's the trigger? Is it adjustable?

Nothing is adjustable. Trigger required polish and spring replacement to get it to what could charitably be described as hunter/plinker level. I have no problem getting nice tight groups from it but it isn’t something that you could get below 3 lbs on the semi-auto version (read my post above about the surprise full surprise full auto mode.)

Thank you! Yea I saw the previous post about the semi going full auto after I posted. Where did you source the spring you used that did work and was the trigger assembly pretty straight forward and easy to work on? After reading your post here I submitted an offer on eBay and it was accepted. I have one on the way, looks like a great little gun to keep in my camper!