• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Little Saturday clay test..H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme vs H&N Hornet .177

Well, I ordered some clay to get the explosive power of the H&N Hornet vs the Barracuda Hunter Extreme (BHE) in .177/4.5mm cal. So I decided to day to do a little filming of the impact of the pellets on the clay using my GoPro in my “indoor range”. Next week the outdoor range opens up :). I used my FX pocket chronograph to speed of the pellets. Order of the pellets for filming I used....BHE vs Hornet vs BHE. See photos...the BHE are unrecognizable where the Hornet you can still tell what it is. The energy transfer of the BHE it seems better than the Hornet. Note: The “wound channel” for the BHE was shallower than the Hornet and wider, but the Hornet went deeper. Please give me your thoughts. Note 2: I did try shoot some H&N Sniper Extremes and JSP Monster Exact and they punched right through the clay, which I estimated 3 to 4 inches, where the other two pellet types stopped 2 to 3 inches in. I will do more tests over the weekend with more data. (Music added to give some dramatic effect which makes more entertaining.)

Gun: Brocock Compatto Sniper XR - .177 FAC

Power Level: High - 18ft/24 joules

FPF average for 2 pelllets: 17.2 ft / lbs

GoPro Camera Setting: 120 frames per second

Editing software on iPad Pro - LumaFusion / video slowed to 1/60.

1590853718_8091791155ed28056d5e9d2.75467048.jpeg

https://youtu.be/miaK_eU3kiQ

Thank you for sharing — like the music — as many shooting vids lack this! 😊

Good that you started sharing the shooting data. 👍🏼

The critical data for hollow point testing are:

—impact velocity

—ballistic material (if you don't want to spring $50+ for ballistic gel, glycerin soap poured in bars has been recommended as it better resembles a quarry that clay or a bucket of water

—exact expansion of the pellet

—exact penetration depth

Have fun testing! 👍🏼

Matthias

Well, considering I am home for a weekend I plan to make some homemade ballistics gel and test some pellets at around 10 yards. After the test I will post the results, maybe tomorrow or later in the week. Also, I agree with you on everything, accuracy, depth of penetration etc. I will do my best to make it an accurate test. I have a research background in my early career, so I will do my best to make it follow the “scientific method.” :)

Blackpaw,

That's great!! You even have research background, cool. 👍🏼

Below is an example of a test result that helps shooters to decide if a certain pellet—range—power will give them hollow point expansion — or if shooting the hollow point is pointless as it will likely not expand in the quarry at that range.

Matthias

1593268845_1417403645ef75a6de21114.40555198.jpg