Limited out with my third turkey for California Spring 2023

When I got home from work yesterday, I saw that there were a few birds above the pond at about 400 yards from the driveway. I had seen hens there in the last few days, but no toms. From the road I could see two big shiny black birds mixed in with the duller ones and I figured those were toms. While looking at them one of the shiny dots grew to about three times its size, so I knew it was a tom fanning.

They weren't going anywhere so I did a few chores that needed to happen, and then grabbed the 909 and started the walk. The birds were still there, and I used the rolling terrain to shield me from view. Ironically, I did the same thing on Sunday in the infamous Turkey Grotto. After spotting a hen and a strutting tom I did the long stalk, was set up 35 yards from the hen, but couldn't find the tom. The hen walked off and when I started to still hunt my way through the trees I kicked the tom out of the weeds not five feet from me. Unfortunately he flew, giving us both a heart attack. But I digress...

I covered he distance in a few minutes and climbed the hill that they were on. I knew I was within 50 yards but couldn't see over the rise to pinpoint them. More often than not in this situation, I get busted by the periscope-like heads seeing me peek over the horizon and off they run. Yesterday I was more fortunate. I caught a bit of movement and saw a hen feeding right in front of me at about 30 yards. She saw my head, but I was in the waving (super windy) bushy tall grass on my knees. She went back to feeding, and once again I'm back to searching for a tom that I know is close by. It didn't take long, as within a minute I saw a bright head pop up between me and the hen. I rose up slightly on one knee to see the body and took aim. The tom turned and was just starting to run when I pulled the trigger. The slug found it's home and the bird went down in a heap and stayed there. A soon as I shot the other tom appeared and came in to attack the downed bird. After a few half-hearted whacks at his defenseless compadre, he too joined the hens and ran off.

I'm not a great judge of turkey size, but this seemed like a huge bird. Super heavy, long spurs...a nice way to get my third and final bird for Spring 2023. Now it's time to address the coyotes that I seem to see every time I'm out
;)

2023dairyturkey.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to get me a turkey with the air gun... One day, I'll try and find some. Great story and shooting!

Thanks for the kind words, All. As far as turkey hunting with airguns, I haven't used anything else for years. My personal opinion is that (depending on model and caliber) airguns are far more effective than shotguns. I base that on my own experience and guns used; primarily the Airforce .308 Texan and the Sam Yang 909 .45. The extended range (especially with the .308) is a total game changer. I've taken turkeys out to 225 yards with the .308. My .25 Impact is much more accurate of course, but WAY too many wounded birds for my tastes. I can't head shoot every bird and even when I have there have been occasions when I hit the bird in the head and didn't make a recovery. Body shots and losing the bird is almost a given. Not so with the big bores. Big bores allow me to spot and stalk and leave the decoys, calls, blinds, and even camo at home. I also aim for the center body as the horsepower allows me a bit of wiggle room. For this hunter it's much enjoyable because it fits my style, but to each their own. No one of us knows more than all of us.

When I got home from work yesterday, I saw that there were a few birds above the pond at about 400 yards from the driveway. I had seen hens there in the last few days, but no toms. From the road I could see two big shiny black birds mixed in with the duller ones and I figured those were toms. While looking at them one of the shiny dots grew to about three times its size, so I knew it was a tom fanning.

They weren't going anywhere so I did a few chores that needed to happen, and then grabbed the 909 and started the walk. The birds were still there, and I used the rolling terrain to shield me from view. Ironically, I did the same thing on Sunday in the infamous Turkey Grotto. After spotting a hen and a strutting tom I did the long stalk, was set up 35 yards from the hen, but couldn't find the tom. The hen walked off and when I started to still hunt my way through the trees I kicked the tom out of the weeds not five feet from me. Unfortunately he flew, giving us both a heart attack. But I digress...

I covered he distance in a few minutes and climbed the hill that they were on. I knew I was within 50 yards but couldn't see over the rise to pinpoint them. More often than not in this situation, I get busted by the periscope-like heads seeing me peek over the horizon and off they run. Yesterday I was more fortunate. I caught a bit of movement and saw a hen feeding right in front of me at about 30 yards. She saw my head, but I was in the waving (super windy) bushy tall grass on my knees. She went back to feeding, and once again I'm back to searching for a tom that I know is close by. It didn't take long, as within a minute I saw a bright head pop up between me and the hen. I rose up slightly on one knee to see the body and took aim. The tom turned and was just starting to run when I pulled the trigger. The slug found it's home and the bird went down in a heap and stayed there. A soon as I shot the other tom appeared and came in to attack the downed bird. After a few half-hearted whacks at his defenseless compadre, he too joined the hens and ran off.

I'm not a great judge of turkey size, but this seemed like a huge bird. Super heavy, long spurs...a nice way to get my third and final bird for Spring 2023. Now it's time to address the coyotes that I seem to see every time I'm out
;)

View attachment 349214
Great bird and stalk. If you ever want to change it up or get bored, pick up a dsd hen and the 3/4 strutt jake decoy. Call them in and laugh as they beat the crud out of the dsd jake before you thwack em.

I'd love to get me a turkey with the air gun... One day, I'll try and find some. Great story and shooting!

Thanks for the kind words, All. As far as turkey hunting with airguns, I haven't used anything else for years. My personal opinion is that (depending on model and caliber) airguns are far more effective than shotguns. I base that on my own experience and guns used; primarily the Airforce .308 Texan and the Sam Yang 909 .45. The extended range (especially with the .308) is a total game changer. I've taken turkeys out to 225 yards with the .308. My .25 Impact is much more accurate of course, but WAY too many wounded birds for my tastes. I can't head shoot every bird and even when I have there have been occasions when I hit the bird in the head and didn't make a recovery. Body shots and losing the bird is almost a given. Not so with the big bores. Big bores allow me to spot and stalk and leave the decoys, calls, blinds, and even camo at home. I also aim for the center body as the horsepower allows me a bit of wiggle room. For this hunter it's much enjoyable because it fits my style, but to each their own. No one of us knows more than all of us.
Im with you there. Nothing beats the big bores on them and the ammo is still cheaper. Just not the guns and compressors, typically lol.

I love using my airgun, but man it can feel like cheating sometimes. Way further range than even the most incredible uber expensive tss shells.

No tags...honor system. As far as California goes, turkeys are about the only thing that's airgun friendly (besides pests and varmints) Big game like deer and pigs are off limits to ag's.

Currently I'm working on casting some lead-free slugs to see if I can get them to perform well. Since Cali has a lead ban, there isn't much sense in lobbying for airgun use on big game unless that hurdle can be overcome.

Reactions: Aimright