• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Like using lead pellets? Collect the carcasses or risk losing lead entirely

Just a friendly reminder that eagles and hawks also scavenge carcasses. So no matter what kind of hunting or pest control you do, lead pellets or lead fragments left in a carcass will get eaten and likely poison the scavenging animal. Only non-lead projectiles or clean through-and-through shots are safe for scavengers.

Wildlife and raptor rescue organizations have a constant influx of lead poisoned eagles and hawks. Even with expensive lead chelation treatment many don’t survive. I think this is the single biggest threat to those of us who want to avoid a lead ammo ban. We need to step up and make sure we aren’t leaving lead in carcass meat.
Good call, this needs to be front and center for all hunters to be made keenly aware of, I'm guilty of leaving behind varmints that still have the lead inside this makes me want to kick myself. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
My .02 . Having retired from 25yrs of environmental work w/ yearly physicals & frequent blood tests , I can vouch for the concern of lead . I've traveled / worked from coast to coast & have dealt w/ some nasty stuff. I have also been a shooter and reloader most of my life and have family members that compete w/handgun & rifle . Many indoor ranges have been lead free for years and several of our Game Commission ranges have had lead cleanup in the last few years. We have all been made aware of high lead levels in our blood from shooting lead reloads . When I loaded large amounts of ammo ,my levels went up . I did try to wear protective clothing & gloves , along w/ regular handwashing. I never got into casting as I just never had the time. Our local wildlife rehab has had several cases ( raptors & vultures ) this year already. I'm still shooting lead because of the amount of ammo I've stockplied , but I check every kill for exit wounds before leaving the meal for the critters & birds. Otherwise they go in the farm compost bin . I do think it only makes sense that the issue has escalated because of the huge numbers of raptors here now.

In the US, all raptors remain federally protected. The lead poisoning is getting a lot of attention by the wildlife rehabilitators getting out on local news to talk about it. As sportsmen, we need to do everything practical to keep lead poisoning cases from reaching them or else there will be new heat behind the lead bans.
Really the truth is that there are just too many raptors.....the small game we all hunt has been in decline in a direct proportion to the increase in birds of prey. (Along with other predators such as coyotes) Not trying to make a case in favor of lead poisoning, just stating what should be the obvious.

I can look up on any random day and see 2-5 hawks circling. 20 miles away my parents gave up on owning chickens because of the hawks....a bird of prey has to eat every day. 2-5 hawks overhead means 2-5 rabbits, squirrels, chickens or several birds become a meal that day...

Maybe the feds need a little raptor regulation in some regions. I'd be game for a little hawk hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7Green
Really the truth is that there are just too many raptors.....the small game we all hunt has been in decline in a direct proportion to the increase in birds of prey. (Along with other predators such as coyotes) Not trying to make a case in favor of lead poisoning, just stating what should be the obvious.
That’s all very possible, but it’s a separate matter from lead poisoning critters and giving momentum to people who simply want to ban lead ammo.

That’s all very possible, but it’s a separate matter from lead poisoning critters and giving momentum to people who simply want to ban lead ammo.

Wasn't this same thing posted less than two weeks ago?
I think we are all aware of situation.
Each person will do what their conscious tells them to do.
Never hurts to keep on reminding and reminding.

Doc
Might be an exercise in futility.....Maine outlawed lead fishing sinkers and I am sure no angler was loosing jigs intentionally....

I can look up on any random day and see 2-5 hawks circling. 20 miles away my parents gave up on owning chickens because of the hawks....a bird of prey has to eat every day. 2-5 hawks overhead means 2-5 rabbits, squirrels, chickens or several birds become a meal that day...

Maybe the feds need a little raptor regulation in some regions. I'd be game for a little hawk hunting.

Might be an exercise in futility.....Maine outlawed lead fishing sinkers and I am sure no angler was loosing jigs intentionally....
I'm in Maine, they do what ever California does ...when they can get away with it. so all bets are off here.

Kind of a bummer. I nearly bought a farm in Aroostook county in 21.... Still would make the move in spite of that.
I live in Aroostook county, South of Houlton, It's not as bad as the other Maine south of Bangor. But many of the regulations made down there encroaches on our lifestyle. It's still a good place to live in these trying times.

We've been using lead shot, bullets, pellets here for hundreds of years. I don't think anything has went extinct up till now. And i don't think there are near the hunters there used to be, what's changed?
It seems to be the eagles and probably hawks too have been turning up sick and when the vets examine them they find ingested lead shot and sinkers I suppose also. It's been determined the birds, being raptors have eaten prey that someone else killed for them.....using lead shot for hunting or lead sinkers to fish with. I don't know a lot more than that about it but I'm sure it's searchable on the all knowing interweb.

Don't get me wrong, i have no doubt about the problems lead can cause i just think it gets blamed for a lot problems that it may not be responsible for. I know we used to have a lot of muskrat here but not many now. It was determined that a pesticide used on crops caused infertility and they haven't recovered to where they once were. So many things in play that we may never have all the answers/

Don't get me wrong, i have no doubt about the problems lead can cause i just think it gets blamed for a lot problems that it may not be responsible for. I know we used to have a lot of muskrat here but not many now. It was determined that a pesticide used on crops caused infertility and they haven't recovered to where they once were. So many things in play that we may never have all the answers/
Things change for many reasons but people with a certain agenda will say it's because of their cause. Change is the only constant.

I see a post somewhere a little while ago that may fit here in this thread, it went like this:
If you sit back in hopes that others will take care of your problems, is like feeding the alligator in hopes he'll eat you last...but eat you he will.
.................................................................... Some wise guy on the internet.

There are 2 references, that I’ve found, that show a cyclical nature to lead toxicity in scavenging raptors. Lead levels are lower but still exist in the spring, summer, then tend to rise through the fall and winter..then return to lower levels again in spring..think sine wave Which would sort of indicate a correlation to lead in game animal carcasses..but..one of the papers is data from a state that does not allow the use of lead ammunition in firearms.

The depuration rate of lead (or half-time for lead elimination from blood) has been estimated to be approximately two weeks in condors [37] and less than two weeks in common ravens [36]. The 37 note is from a study done in 2003. The 36 note is from 2008.

What is the number of annual deaths caused by lead toxicity in raptors like condors, eagles and hawks? IDK..I wasn’t able to find statistics. I did find one that ststed the annual rate of population growth for Bald Eagles and Golden Eagles is approximately 10% and 4%. From 2009 to 2021 the Bald Eagle population grew from 72,434 to 316,700 for the United States (lower 48 only). Apparently, the population growth is outpacing deaths, from any means, by a large margin.

A further route of lead toxicosis in birds is uptake from diverse environmental sources in food. Most cases of poisoning occur following exposure to very elevated lead concentrations, such as may be found in the vicinity of mines, waste dumps, and industrial plants. Add municipal small plane airports to that list..as all aviation fuel for small planes is still leaded.

Inorganic forms of lead do not biomagnify and do not bioaccumulate. Inorganic meaning processed lead as found in bullets.
Lead is cancer-causing, and adversely effects reproduction, liver and thyroid function, and disease resistance (Eisler 1988b). The main potential ecological impacts of wetland contaminants result from direct exposure of algae, benthic invertebrates, and embryos and fingerlings of freshwater fish and amphibians to lead. It can be bioconcentrated from water, but does not bioaccumulate and tends to decrease with increasing trophic levels in freshwater habitats (Wong et al. 1978; Eisler 1988b). Lead adversely affects algae, invertebrates, and fish. There are also limited adverse effects in amphibians, including loss of sodium, reduced learning capability, and developmental problems (Horne and Dunson 1995; Freda 1991). Fish exposed to high levels of lead exhibit a wide-range of effects including muscular and neurological degeneration and destruction, growth inhibition, mortality, reproductive problems, and paralysis (Eisler 1988b; EPA 1976). Lead adversely affects invertebrate reproduction; algal growth is affected. Lead partitions primarily to sediments, but becomes more bioavailable under low pH, hardness and organic matter content (among other factors). Lead bioaccumulates in algae, macrophytes and benthic organisms, but the inorganic forms of lead do not biomagnify.

At elevated levels in plants, lead can cause reduced growth, photosynthesis, mitosis, and water absorption (Eisler 1988b). Birds and mammals suffer effects from lead poisoning such as damage to the nervous system, kidneys, liver, sterility, growth inhibition, developmental retardation, and detrimental effects in blood (Eisler 1988b; Amdur et al. 1991).
Lead poisoning in higher organisms has been associated with lead shot and organolead compounds, but not with food chain exposure to inorganic lead (other than lead shot, sinkers or paint) (Eisler 1988b). There are complex interactions with other contaminants and diet. Lead poisoning in higher organisms primarily affects hematologic and neurologic processes.

Bioaccumulation / Bioconcentration / Biomagnification:
Bioaccumulation is the general term describing a process by which chemicals are taken up by a plant or animal either directly from exposure to a contaminated medium (soil, sediment, water) or by eating food containing the chemical. Related terms are bioconcentration in which chemicals are absorbed by an animal or plant to levels higher than the surrounding environment; and biomagnification, in which chemical levels in plants or animals increase from transfer through the food web (e.g., predators have greater concentrations of a particular chemical than their prey).

Lead shot for migratory birds has been banned in the US since 1991..”phased-in starting with the 1987-88 hunting season. The ban became nationwide in 1991. “ Lead shot has been banned for waterfowl hunting for 32 years. Bald Eagles are most commonly found around bodies of water because their primary food source is normally fish. Sure, they would eat a wounded duck, but what are the odds that said duck was wounded with lead..since it been banned. Yes..I’m sure there are hunters that still use lead shot illegally in the US for waterfowl.

The bald eagle population climbed to an estimated 316,700 individual bald eagles in the lower 48 states.

The number of bald eagles in the lower 48 U.S. states has quadrupled in the last 12 years to more than 316,700, between 80,000 - 110,000 in Alaska, and between 50,000 - 500,000 Canada. So 316,000 plus 95,000 plus 275,000 is approximately 686,000 bald eagles in North America.

If you were to read this article you’d think the Bald Eagle was again on the brink of extinction..

”A first-of-its-kind, eight-year study has found widespread and frequent lead poisoning in North American bald and golden eagles impacting both species’ populations.” A 9 year study..WOW! So a total of around 236 live Bald Eagles and 384 Golden Eagles over an 9 year period is “groundbreaking”..seriously?? 69 birds per year. Roughly 1.4 Birds per state. That’s 236 Bald Eagles out of a population estimated to be around 686,000. Put another way.. a sampling of 0.0344% of the population is groundbreaking. But wait..only 45 of the 236 were considered as having a potentially lethal dose of lead. So thats 45 out of a population of 636,000. Damn..that’s a real problem.

“These findings are the first to look at bald and golden eagle populations across North America, using samples from 1,210 eagles over 38 U.S. states including Alaska. Poisoning at the levels found in the study is causing population growth rates to slow for bald eagles by 3.8 percent and golden eagles by 0.8 percent annually. Previously, evaluations of lead exposure and its impact on eagle populations were only performed in local and regional studies. This groundbreaking study documents how lead poisoning inhibits both species’ population growth across North America. ”

Problems with the study..IMO..The study was done over 9 years and no data was taken for the year or exact location of collection. In addition, the web write-up state 1210 eagles were sampled, but only 620 were blood samples. GPS coordinates could have been used, but instead a very general state and migration flyway were noted. The reason these are both issues with the report are 1) if a data collection year had been recorded or exposed in the study, it could have been determined if the lead issue were increasing or declining. 2) if a GPS data point were included, it could have identified a more specific location which could have been used to identify mining and ore processing operations or municipal airports as a source of lead. If a GPS location had been provided it would have been very easy to show if the collection was done on or near areas associated with hunting and used of lead bullets. 3) Why not take and publish blood samples from all 1210 birds?

When you do a study that traps or examines primarily sick birds, why would you be surprised to discover that there are sick birds in the data set? The vast majority of the birds tested..90%..did not meet the toxicicity guidelines set by the USGS for removal from the wild.

“The study’s modeling shows that lead reduces the rate of population growth”. First..the study relies on computer modeling. This type of “study” is biased toward the results desired by the person designing the model. Second, the populations of Bald Eagles and Golden Eagles are not in decline. Unless you carefully read the wording..according to the study, a reduction in the rate of increase is considered a decline..DOH!

The following data were extracted from the .CSV files attached to the research..
For Blood above 60 μg/dL birds need a detox..all else can be released

Data sample Bald and Golden Eagles Combined
Blood 620. Only 102 of 620 were above the level of 40 μg/dL. and only 61 of 620 were above the level of 60 μg/dL

Data sample Bald Eagles
Blood 236. Only 68 of 236 were above the level of 40 μg/dL. and only 45 of 236 were above the level of 60 μg/dL

Data sample Golden Eagles
Blood 384. Only 34 of 384 were above the level of 40 μg/dL. and only 16 of 384 were above the level of 60 μg/dL

Following USGS 60 μg/dL Guidelines specified below…

Lead poisoning is a threat to birds, particularly scavenging birds of prey. … Best practices suggest that birds whose blood-lead levels are <40 μg/dL be released back to the wild as soon as possible after capture. The decision to release or treat birds with blood-lead levels between 40 μg/dL and 60 μg/dL should be made based on the presence of clinical signs of poisoning and relevant biological characteristics (e.g., breeding status). Finally, birds with blood-lead levels >60 μg/dL are potentially lethally poisoned and best served if removed from the wild for appropriate treatment at a licensed rehabilitation facility and later released. We present guidelines for decision-making when treating lead poisoning of wild raptors. Future work based on experimental studies will clarify the role of lead poisoning for specific species and be important to refine these guidelines to improve effectiveness.

“Due to limitations of chemical analysis procedures, small concentrations cannot be precisely measured. These concentrations are said to be below the limit of detection (LOD). In statistical analyses, these values are often censored and substituted with a constant value, such as half the LOD, the LOD divided by the square root of 2, or zero. These methods for handling below-detection values two distributions, a uniform distribution for those values below the LOD, and the true distribution. As a result, this can produce questionable descriptive statistics depending upon the percentage of values below the LOD. An alternative method uses the characteristics of the distribution of the values above the LOD to estimate the values below the LOD. This can be done with an extrapolation technique or maximum likelihood estimation. An example program using the same data is presented calculating the mean, standard deviation, t-test, and relative difference in the means for various methods and compares the results. The extrapolation and maximum likelihood estimate techniques have smaller error rate than all the standard replacement techniques. Although more computational, these methods produce more reliable descriptive statistics.”

This study was published:: April 6, 2011
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0017656
Clinical signs associated with lead toxicity were not observed in any of our birds, although this may be difficult to assess in the field setting. In this study, 53% of golden eagle and 18% of turkey vultures sampled prior to implementation of the ban, and 18% of the golden eagles and 3% of turkey vultures sampled post-ban had blood lead concentrations consistent with subclinical lead toxicity (>20 µg/dL) [51]. Only one captured golden eagle had a blood lead concentration at a level that has been reported to cause lead poisoning and death in raptors (>100 µg/dL) [51]. Sampling of free-ranging birds using the capture methods we employed here may underestimate burdens of lead exposure and poisoning in scavenging and predatory bird populations, especially for birds with blood lead concentrations that are high enough to cause debilitation and preclude birds from flying and searching for food [52].

Estimates of up to a million or more birds a year are killed by turbines in the US but that is far exceeded by collisions with communications towers (6.5 million); power lines, (25 million); windows (up to 1 billion); and cats (1.3 to 4.0 billion) and those lost due to habitat loss, pollution and climate change

Lead contamination in raptors in Europe: A systematic review and meta-analysis

Major lead exposure from hunting ammunition in eagles from Sweden

Reactions: fishing43