• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Like i really need this.

Like I needed this. Bought this Ruger Yukon .177 for $80. My thoughts were. I have a couple extra barrels from a XS28M. Have the .25 on mine. So I'm going to use the .22 barrel from the 28 swapping them out. Mike M told me no problem will work perfectly.

I probed the muzzle baffle and the barrel is shorter on the Ruger. Installing the .22 from the XS28 the barrel will be longer about 4 inches and the rifle itself should have
20230131_164803~2.jpg
20230131_172647~2.jpg
a cleaner look.

Hope the barrel swapping works out. I'm not a fan of big heavy springers spitting out tiny .177's. I don't know anything about the Ruger Yukon, but it's a good-looking rifle with attractive wood. Nice buy for $80.
That is my thoughts. It needs the .22 barrel. It will probably shoot a 21.5 grain nice. We will see.

🤔😅why don't yall like the.177 heavy springers?
*just curious🤪🤙

.177 caliber air rifle has a advantage because higher velocity results in a flat trajectory. But at realistic hunting distance its not a issue.

You may be able to hit a small target easier than it would be with a rifle of bigger caliber, but the pellets of larger diameter hit harder. A heavier pellet retains its energy a distance longer.

And at 50 yards, the most I would ever use a spring-piston to hunt the trajectory is still pretty flat, with larger calibers

estimates of caliber energy

.177 cal 8.6 grain 1000fps
23.54 foot-pounds

.22 cal 21.14 grain 760fps
Muzzle Energy = 27.12 foot-pounds

.25 cal 30.86 grain 650fps
Muzzle Energy = 28.96 foot-pounds

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
.177 caliber air rifle has a advantage because higher velocity results in a flat trajectory. But at realistic hunting distance its not a issue.

You may be able to hit a small target easier than it would be with a rifle of bigger caliber, but the pellets of larger diameter hit harder. A heavier pellet retains its energy a distance longer.

And at 50 yards, the most I would ever use a spring-piston to hunt the trajectory is still pretty flat, with larger calibers

23.54 foot-pounds

Ooooooook that makes more sense now that I've been playing with my chronograph and calculating fpe. Thank youuu!🤗🎩🤙
🤔side thought* how does one measure the pellet velocity at 50 yards? I get that my chrono reads Muzzle velocity....but that's just AT the Muzzle right?* I'm still(and always trying) to learn more

Ooooooook that makes more sense now that I've been playing with my chronograph and calculating fpe. Thank youuu!🤗🎩🤙
🤔side thought* how does one measure the pellet velocity at 50 yards? I get that my chrono reads Muzzle velocity....but that's just AT the Muzzle right?* I'm still(and always trying) to learn more
Within reason, heavier is both more efficient, and has higher BC to buck the wind better.
Heavier pellets transfer more energy downrange, creating more FPE vs. lighter. But this being said you should always shoot the pellet your particular springer likes. Brand, weight etc...

The chronograph has to at 50 yards to measure the final speed. Take the muzzle fpe reading and the 50 yard fpe reading and then some math to get the pellets BC.

• Love
The barrel is changed. I would like to find a simple slip on front sight, with a grub screw for holding it. The barrel is 16mm.

Anyone know we're I could get one. I'd like to shoot with open sights. View attachment 328784
Man that's a great question these days lol.
I wanna know if someone knows too😅🥴

23.54 foot-pounds

“177 caliber air rifle has a advantage because higher velocity results in a flat trajectory. But at realistic hunting distance its not a issue.”

I would disagree. With all hunting weapons-but especially air rifles-accuracy is king.

There were and are many debates about this subject.Many of the debates are fun and factual and most are in British magazines.
First off you got to hit what you are aiming at and hit in the right place with enough energy "to-do-the-job.
Most would agree the .177 does a better job ,I really do not care,the most important thing is "shot placement".
I like the.22 better,.but as you say "accuracy" is the king,so I have accurate .22s....
It was a fun read and most of the "hunters" did in fact use.177.I just got big fingers;)

“177 caliber air rifle has a advantage because higher velocity results in a flat trajectory. But at realistic hunting distance its not a issue.”

I would disagree. With all hunting weapons-but especially air rifles-accuracy is king.
"I would disagree. With all hunting weapons".

I don't understand what your saying here.

What I was saying is I would not take a animal over 50 yards with a air rifle. And usually much closer. At 50 yards a .177 .22 or .25 has a flat enough trajectory to hunt. The later two deliver more energy.

The bigger and heavier the projectile, the
longer it will retain it's velocity. If the gun has the initial power to get the .25 caliber pellet out to 50 yards it will hit the hardest of the 3.

MY experience with the three is this. My .177 will shoot a tighter group at 25 yds than I get with my .22 cal. But it can be very close. At 40 yds it's a they are the same, at 50yds it is the .22 cal beats the .177.
The .25 performs almost as good as the .22 at 30-40 or 50 yards.

Last edited:
"I would disagree. With all hunting weapons".

I don't understand what your saying here.

What I was saying is I would not take a animal over 50 yards with a air rifle. And usually much closer. At 50 yards a .177 .22 or .25 has a flat enough trajectory to hunt. The later two deliver more energy.

The bigger and heavier the projectile, the
longer it will retain it's velocity. If the gun has the initial power to get the .25 caliber pellet out to 50 yards it will hit the hardest of the 3.

MY experience with the three is this. My .177 will shoot a tighter group at 25 yds than I get with my .22 cal. But it can be very close. At 40 yds it's a they are the same, at 50yds it is the .22 cal beats the .177.
The .25 performs almost as good as the .22 at 30-40 or 50 yards.
"What I was saying is I would not take a animal over 50 yards with an air rifle" I'm assuming you are referring to only spring powered air rifles here and I would agree. My 14-15 fpe .177 HW97K gives me confidence out to 50ish meters on small game. It will consistently shoot nickel sized groups out to that distance(and better if I'm having a good day) and I'm sure a .22 could do just as well. Possibly even slightly better depending on the barrel, shooter, conditions, etc. but I feel that this is a tossup at these lower sub 15 fpe power levels.

The point that I’m trying to make is that the flatter trajectory of the .177 vs a .22 at a given power level(particularly low power springers) results in a larger margin of error in calculating range and thus holdover. Obviously, this isn’t based on caliber or projectile weight but rather velocity.

For example my PCP shooting slugs at 965 fps has a PBR of 15-55 meters(+\-1 cm). This is fantastic for pesting because I just hold dead on inside of 60 meters and anything past that generally will give me the time to range and dial.

For this reason, my ideal velocity with all three of my springers is around 800 fps. This results in a PBR of approximately 30 meters given a 20 meter zero. For me personally, having a 30 meter PBR is a huge plus when hunting or pesting as it eliminates all calculations and holdovers. Admittedly, my HW30S at 7 fpe is only pushing a 7 grain pellet to about 700 fps and so my PBR for it is slightly south of 30 meters.

Given a 20 meter zero and 11 fpe...a 8 grain .177 pellet has the same amount of drop from 40-50 meters as a 15 grain .22 pellet has from 30-40 meters. Given that 20 meter zero, that same .177 pellet has the exact same POI at 30 meters while the .22 pellet is already an inch low. Past 30 meters with the .22 if you miscalculate the range by more than 2 or 3 meters you risk a poor placed shot or miss.

If your main quarry is paper or steel it's not a big deal...but the targets that I mainly shoot usually try to stay alive.

Clarification, all of this is assuming sub 15 fpe power levels. North of that, I do feel that the .22 starts to gain an edge in effectiveness. And for what it's worth...this is just my $.02.