Lighter vs heavier pellets? 880 FPS?

Whats the general consensus on speed vs weight of a pellet?

My JSB seem to do well at 880fps

But my cheaper lighter Crossman premier hollow point dont seem to do as well at this speed. Meaning I lower my hammer spring to bring it back down to 880ish FPS

Do you typically go up or down on lighter pellets? The pellet is going to travel a fair bit faster if I dont adjust it. Just trying to dial them as best I can.

For best consistent accuracy your supposed to dial it in around 880ish give or take 20fps is that correct? Does it then matter what the weight of the pellet is?

For any given amount of air, on a given airgun, you get roughly the same amount of energy.

So really, it’s a matter of what you want to do - do you want a flatter, faster projectile?

880 is not a magic number, but it’s a good place to start. This weekend I tuned my Crown to shoot 18.1s at 700fps. Very accurate. There are many options.

Reactions: Stone02
I cant speak for PCP guns as I never owned one, but I can speak from over 35 years of spring gun expertise that a pellet has a speed at which it flys most accurately. Not interested in all the sciences and reasons why but thru experience and what rifle/ barrel the pellets goes thru, the velocity controls the accuracy. On most of my higher powered springers over the years the CP lites at 7.9 gn lost accuracy beyound 900 fps, sometimes even high 800 would loose accuracy, now the JSB 8.4 are holding accuracy at speeds up to about 925 or so. Your findings may differ!! Therefor you need to experiment to find the speed your pellets like in your particular gun. This is not an exact science, but it can give you a starting point then you can fine tune from there..